Changing IP Address on R30-iA

• Good afternoon all, hope everyone is doing well. I want to change the IP address on the robot and the plc it's communicating with, so when I go to the "I/o Ethernet IP" page and hit "config", it is showing me the ip address of my plc, but I cannot change it since it's read only.

When I hit 'next', I see "exp-msg" and I see the correct IP address there for my PLC. Is this the correct place to change the IP address of PLC? Any other steps required?

Furthermore, where can I find the robot ip address and how can I change that?

Thanks!!!:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

• MENU > SETEP > Host Comm. Highlight TCP/IP then hit F3 for detail. Here you can type in the new robot IP address. After changing it, hit NEXT so that INIT appears above F3 and then press F3. On older controllers you may not have the INIT button, so you would need to cycle power for the change to take effect.

You cannot change the PLC's address, as it sounds like the PLC is an adapter, which is why it is read only.

• MENU > SETEP > Host Comm. Highlight TCP/IP then hit F3 for detail. Here you can type in the new robot IP address. After changing it, hit NEXT so that INIT appears above F3 and then press F3. On older controllers you may not have the INIT button, so you would need to cycle power for the change to take effect.

You cannot change the PLC's address, as it sounds like the PLC is an adapter, which is why it is read only.

Keep in mind most robots have 2 ports (F3 to change between port 1 & 2).

• Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!

Also, quick and easy question, if I make a change to a point on these robots, is doing an "all of the above" backup sufficient or do I need to do a full image? Does a full image backup include all the tp programs within it?

• Image backup allows restoring entire robot by a single procedure. The files are not human-readable.

"All of the above" backup is enough to restore the application file by file, and also allows the saved robot simulation in Roboguide, but is not human readable.

I recommend doing all possible backups, including ASCII programs, then switch to MD device, select the .VA files (usually, line 17) and copy to the same directory as the current backup. Press NEXT to see the COPY option. The .VA files are human-readable files of registers and system variables.

• I still do not understand what the difference is between image backup and All of the above. Of course, it's best to back up everything, but if I just make a small teach point modification, what is the bare minimum I should backup?

If my robot loses all memory, will an all of the above backup suffice? I think it should, because it has all the TP programs and all the master count data, correct?

• You can also just select a "maintenance backup" from the list which will grab all of the binary and ASCII files. It won't grab the image though.

Alternately, you may want to look into backing up via FTP, which is much quicker and also grabs everything that the maintenance backup would get.

• I still do not understand what the difference is between image backup and All of the above.

It is like the difference on PC between entire computer backup and user data backup.

... if I just make a small teach point modification, what is the bare minimum I should backup?

It's enough to properly document the minor change and/or make backup of only the file(s) reflecting the change. Provided you have a recent full backup.

If my robot loses all memory, will an all of the above backup suffice? I think it should, because it has all the TP programs and all the master count data, correct?

No, because there may be more system data to restore.

This is exactly the case when you better restore the robot from the image backup.

• You can also just select a "maintenance backup" from the list which will grab all of the binary and ASCII files. It won't grab the image though.

Alternately, you may want to look into backing up via FTP, which is much quicker and also grabs everything that the maintenance backup would get.

Can you please point me in the right direction to setup and use the FTP approach, please?
    I don't know how to set this up so that the controller is connected to my network, so I need to start from nothing preferably.

Advertising from our partners