Kuka Robot Profinet and IO mapping problems

• Kuka Robot Software 8.5.8

Kuka Controller KRC4

PLC Siemens

Profinet Version KRC4-Profinet_5.0

The issue I am having is I have a Kuka robot that is using Profinet communication to send IO back and forth between itself in and the PLC. The PLC recognizes the device and communicates over safety this verifies that both he PLC can see the Robot and the Robot can see the PLC. When I start to map the IO in Work-Visual 6.0 it starts to have troubles. Once the IO is mapped to its corresponding output I have a KSS00099 “Error on reading /writing PNIO-CTRL” and a KSS11000 “Device ac3 could not be started within 20000ms”. These errors pretty much mean that it does not recognize the Profinet device and there is an error transmitting the IO back and forth to between the two devices. This would be caused by a configuration error on the Profinet setup. Well here is where is gets weird I have multiple Kuka robots one of them is communicating fine with the device and one is not. Both are set up the same minus address and naming convention.

If you have any idea to why this would be the case let me know what you think. I attached a screenshot of the Profinet Setup

• Change the IP address.192.168.0.x range is reserved for other tasks.

The following address ranges are used by default by the
    robot controller for internal purposes. IP addresses from
    this range must not therefore by assigned when naming the device.
    This applies to naming of the device with WorkVisual or any other software.
     192.168.0.0 … 192.168.0.255
     172.16.0.0 … 172.16.255.255
     172.17.0.0 … 172.17.255.255

Edited once, last by spiral ().

• after this i reconfigured the IP address back to it normal range so the internal is set to 192.162.0.X.

I'm a little confused on the other IP address are these the range im suppose to use or not use?

• you better not try to use that address range, read manual and pinned topic READ FIRST

I am not using that address its set to 192.168.20.147 now. I've read the manuals and the read first before I posted.

The reason i posted is I'm confused why two robots who are set up the same besides IP addresses are not working similarly. The one that is working has full IO pass through and while the other one has issues with IO. I confirmed the GSDML file is set up the same for both and that its correct. The first robot worked with the old IP address and when we changed it to the new IP address.

To clarify even further the Profisafe communication works on both. The Siemens PLC identifies and recognizes both Robots on it side. When the IO is mapped in workvisual it doesn't recognize the Profinet device and I get time out errors. When digging into the manual the only troubleshooting I get is to establish connection which sound easy but is extremely vague.

• does not matter - you shall not use reserved IP address range.

if you have connection problem, and you should post details (your post is also extremely vague :winking_face:)

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• does not matter - you shall not use reserved IP address range.

if you have connection problem, and you should post details (your post is also extremely vague :winking_face:)

KRC4 controller 8.5.8

Robot 1 KR 10 R1100-2

Robot 2 KR 16R1610-2

Siemens PLC V15.1

Robot 1 communication is set up and working both on Profisafe and Profinet IO passthrough

Robot 2 communication is set up only Profisafe is working. Profinet is not working.

The modules on the Profinet are setup the same.

Robot 2 has a KSS00099 “Error on reading /writing PNIO-CTRL” and a KSS11000 “Device ac3 could not be started within 20000ms, Solution for these errors is to establish working connection which is extremely vague.

Questions:

1. When establishing Profinet connection other than reading what the manual says is there something the manual misses for establishing a connection?

2. On the Profinet setting i know the name is important so the PLC recognises the device but is the KRC4-Profinet name important too, How about the user ID?

3. I am getting an error that states the DTM-Proinet the profinet device could not be found in the active network. How do i make it be found?

This seems like there is just a small thing i'm missing from one robot to the next. Especially when i followed the manual and startup guide for both and one just works and the other doesn't. I would appreciate any insight if there is a way you or anyone else sets up Profinet connections

KRC4 controller 8.5.8

Robot 1 KR 10 R1100-2

Robot 2 KR 16R1610-2

Siemens PLC V15.1

that is just a list of participants, but their individual settings are still a mystery.

The modules on the Profinet are setup the same.

how "same"? can you show configuration of both or at least one that does not work? are I/O mapped?

reading manual is hard, so here is an old picture of Roman master and his slave. if you have to guess who is who, would you able to tell them apart?

Life of a Slave in Ancient Rome: Part 2 – Lucius'€™ Romans

and here are your screenshots... do you think these two images look the same? based on your posts your two robots are setup the same way.

Robot 2 has a KSS00099

this should not be the only message, show all messages screenshot

1. When establishing Profinet connection other than reading what the manual says is there something the manual misses for establishing a connection?

manual tells a lot... so not sure what steps you did. basically you need to something like this

1. choose correct IP address range and get all devices into that range

2. make sure each device has unique device name "robot1", "robot2" etc or similar instead of default "kuka_unknown". same device name must be configured on PLC side for each of the slaves. spelling is important. there are some rules on this including creation of equivalent names etc. if unsure, just keep them basic (short, lower case, no spaces etc.)

3. on robots configure the ProfiNet as slave or device, map I/O (if I/O is not mapped, data exchange does not even try to run)

4. if using safety IO, make sure to set unique safety ID for each slave/device. PLC must use same values for each of them.

5. after configuring robots, manually restart driver or reboot (will restart on its own when rebooted)

6. make sure master setup (PLC) is also correct and complete, for example ensure that bus settings are all compatible, restart as needed

2. On the Profinet setting i know the name is important so the PLC recognises the device but is the KRC4-Profinet name important too, How about the user ID?

no idea what that is. do you mean ProfiSafe ID? each slave must have unique ID.

3. I am getting an error that states the DTM-Proinet the profinet device could not be found in the active network. How do i make it be found?

you start your network architecture by drawing map, adding all participants, assigning them roles, assigning them network settings, assigning them IDs, IO ranges etc. then you configure them all, restart them. then you check each part of setup and refer to troubleshooting section in each manual.

This seems like there is just a small thing i'm missing from one robot to the next. Especially when i followed the manual and startup guide for both and one just works and the other doesn't. I would appreciate any insight if there is a way you or anyone else sets up Profinet connections

I am not so sure but i hope you have a fresh look at things and the illustrations helped. Also note that one and same device (such as one KRC4) can be both master and slave on a network - at the same time. Role of each node is important.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• actually that is far from all... you did not communicate half of what was discussed.

1, you did not specify how many nodes are in the network, what is their relationship and role (who is master to who), what are their network settings and how many networks you have there.

2. you still only show configuration of two robots but not PLC

3. you still have not explained what are those slaves under each robots configuration and they do not have unique names

4. you still did not explain if the I/O are mapped

5. you still did not show messages... you stated two on one node, but there must be matching messages on partner node and you did not clarify what nodes is partnered with what

6. you still dis not explain what is "user ID"

7. you still did not confirm ProfiNet Safety IDs (master and slave)

8. etc.

3) read 1 and 2

• After reading Your first post more than tree times think I catched your intention.

- the connection from PLC to robot should only use the safe I/O

- the robots device part should be connected to his own controller (what the heck is this for?)

If I am right and both robots are configured the same way, the problem must be the PLC. Think in the configuration of the kuka profinet on PLC you must delete the 'normal' I/O section in configuration. Think the robot profinet device is not multimaster capable.

• After reading Your first post more than tree times think I catched your intention.

- the connection from PLC to robot should only use the safe I/O

- the robots device part should be connected to his own controller (what the heck is this for?)

If I am right and both robots are configured the same way, the problem must be the PLC. Think in the configuration of the kuka profinet on PLC you must delete the 'normal' I/O section in configuration. Think the robot profinet device is not multimaster capable.

So i did figure it out it was a little of both. Some stuff in the Robots needed to be reset to factory setting and same with the PLC. I changed IP address half way through configuring the system and it messed up the whole communication. This is a pretty large system and I think there were few devices that were causing the problem. But it works now and that's all that matters.

• Hi Sir!

I have one question How to add Profinet IO like below?

My robot when I add gsdml ET200 to Robot It is not show "Profinet IO" like above (detail in picture below)

What is wrong in progress carry out? Please help me point

Thanks by my heart!

• you need to state software versions. most KRCs with ProfiNet are only -/S capable (slave but not master).

if that is what you have, this will not work. if you have M/S variant, then this can work as you have shown.

if you only have -/S variant, you need to get a PLC that supports ProfiNet , then you would make that PLC network master and your ET200 nodes as well as robot would be ProfiNet slaves. then you can have PLC copy all signals between the nodes so KRC can access the IO. you would remove the ET200 nodes from WoV project since KRC is only a slave.

and of course, regardless what option you go with, you would need to map the IO in the WorkVisual too

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners