EtherCAT timeout / No connection to KRC

• Hi,

I have been struggling getting a Kuka KR 60-HA with a KRC4 controller working for some time now. Upon booting I get error messages "EtherCAT communication timeout. Packets missing" and "Could not set IP address. Unable to configure IP address automatically." on the SmartPad with "No connection to KRC possible" appearing after some time. The icons at the top are red, IP is yellow. On the front of the cabinet where the 6 LEDs are, the bottom right one is red.

When I plug up a monitor I get "Unable to establish connection to the KRC. Robot control not possible."

Thinking it was a software error, I have reinstalled KSS to no avail, and even had the retailers send out a freshly installed hard drive that they had tested on their end, but upon installing it there was no change. Kuka support thinks it's a damaged CCU board, but the retailers are less sure. Before I spend the 10 grand on getting a technician out here or the month on waiting for a new CCU board to arrive, is there anything else I should check or try? The machine was working before it was shipped to us.

I have a lot of images and a KRCdiag here.

Thank you for any help

Edited once, last by rydeck ().

• Nation

Approved the thread.
  • this is one of the earliest KRC4, Daimler version, running KSS8.2.x which was upgraded to 8.3.38 no more than year ago - unless this is just test image you are trying to use.

Btw. KrcDiag is incomplete, lacks hardware logs, WoV project, some registry settings, etc. Maybe things are missing on HDD too.

The "three panels" are drives. left and middle are KSP (Kuka Servo Packs), each with amplifiers for three axes.

One one the right is KPP (Kuka Power Pack) which is basically a power supply and in your case, also contains one 40A servo amplifier for external axis.

the red LEDs are for the 24VDC brake circuit so it looks like your external axis has brake problem. Either it is brake itself that is not working or wiring is bad or or KPP brake channel is fried or similar. Maybe just motor connector for the external axis is no longer secure (X7.1). Insert in those tend to pop out and not make contact or the delicate edge gets chipped in transport of when handled rough, then they cannot stay in place. Newer versions have added tiny retention clip to prevent this sort of things. Since it is not just red LED in the middle (brake output to E1) but also one on the left, maybe KPP is smoked.

Toi check connector, power down controller, wait 5min, open cabinet, with two fingers grab thick blaack wires on X7.1 and try to push/pull. If OK gray ceramic or plastic insert holding contacts will stay in pace. If not OK, it will move in/out as you move the wires. Then it need to be repaired or replaced. And if you wonder "how do i repair it" - don't. Leave it others that know how to do this and have proper tools because those will cost more than replacement interface.

About CCU... without seeing complete KRCDiag cannot tell more but even if you unplug two Ethercat cables (KCB and KSB) from KPC to CCU, that should not prevent HMI from starting. And your HMI does not start. Which is why smartPad is unable to connect to it and why the bus LEDs on CCU are frozen solid on all bus ports (diagonal RJ45 ports). it means there is no activity - they should be flickering.

If i was looking after this, i would say forget about KPP, CCU, smartPad until you get HMI running. this means restoring good backup image with proper project. then you should be able to connect smartPad too and see HMI there.

next i would definitely check if the brake circuit is ok. there is a small white connector with black wires under red LED. unplug it and check resistance across the two black wires. should be about 20-30 Ohm if wiring is good and external axis is connected. leave this connector unplugged for now (just for test) and reboot controller to see if those red LEDs go away. if they don't,, you are probably looking for new KSP1x40 (maybe $5k or so).

if the measurement is not in range for E1 brake, you have a problem with wiring or brake (E1 motor). if it is short or less than some 20 Ohm, you MUST fix that before you replace KPP or it too will just get damaged and you will need another $5k :-).

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Hi, thank you for the detailed response.

I edited my original post to remove mention of the KPP and should've added a reason -- I rebooted the cabinet and the red LEDs on the KPP went away. To double check I did your suggestions. X7.1's plug is OK, and the white connector's resistance checked out.

As for getting the HMI working, I generated the KRCDiag by opening up the little menu in the taskbar. Is there another way to generate one that would be complete? And how would I go about restoring a good backup image with a proper project? Unfortunately I don't think we have any backups, as the machine arrived this way, but perhaps we could get one from the retailer.

Thank you!

• it is still unclear what you really have or not have there and there is no clear timeline of events, what messsages are showing up and where, etc.

I have been struggling getting a Kuka KR 60-HA with a KRC4 controller working for some time now.

what is "for some time now"? 6 months? 2 years? is that AFTER robot was received and WORKING?

was this ever in working order at current installed location?

or you never SAW it working and only was told by supplier that "it used to work"?

Thinking it was a software error, I have reinstalled KSS to no avail,

how EXACTLY did you "reinstall KSS"? by restoring HDD image?

or by running one of menu options? (which one?)

or by running one of EXE on D:\? (which one?)

was there at any point shown HMI on smartPad? if so what happened before/after?

why didn't you create backup immediately after receiving robot? this always a good idea.

why didn't you make a backup before attempting to reinstall KSS? this always a good idea.

retailers send out a freshly installed hard drive that they had tested on their end

why didn't you create backup immediately after receiving this HDD? this always a good idea. didn't you learn by now? don't touch anything until you KNOW you can put it back the way things were?

on the SmartPad with "No connection to KRC possible"

that is because HMI does not even load on controller. First controller has to have a working HMI (which you may see if you connect external monitor), before this can be viewed on smartPad.

The machine was working before it was shipped to us.

so did you check for backup on D:? any ZIP files there?

did you check "C:\KRC\USER\Project Root\....."? any project files there?

When I plug up a monitor I get "Unable to establish connection to the KRC. Robot control not possible."

What does that mean? WHERE does this message appears? on smartPad or on Monitor?

the way you worded it suggests that the message is a RESULT of connecting monitor to the KRC... i hope that is not what you are trying to state as that would be first...

I generated the KRCDiag by opening up the little menu in the taskbar. Is there another way to generate one that would be complete?

there are several ways to generate KRCDiag, that is one of them.

you can see more about this on KUKA Xpert:

https://xpert.kuka.com/ID/TI150

btw. on many KSS versions making KRCDiag for the first time produces ... not optimal report. so just consider that a warm-up and make another one.

And how would I go about restoring a good backup image with a proper project?

First you have to HAVE a good backup. The rest will depend on type of backup. if you have an image (one that DOES contain project for YOUR system) then simply use KUKA USB Recovery stick.

Basically connect USB to a computer, configure it, put on it good image, connect the stick to a robot controller, power up robot controller and wait 20min.

Unfortunately I don't think we have any backups, as the machine arrived this way, but perhaps we could get one from the retailer.

why didn't you create backup immediately after receiving robot? making backup is always a good idea.

...and not just ONE form of backup...

one should at least create HDD image... AND archive.

and the backups must be STORED elsewhere...

keeping copy of backups on the robot HDD or on USB recovery stick is NOT storing.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• what is "for some time now"? 6 months? 2 years? is that AFTER robot was received and WORKING?

We purchased the robot from a supplier in January. We were sent footage from the supplier showing it and the computer working. After receiving it and plugging everything in errors began to appear--originally different (which you helped me try and sort out here). Studio went on hold due to covid but we're back now and still trying to get this up and running.

how EXACTLY did you "reinstall KSS"? by restoring HDD image?

At the retailers suggestion, I stopped StartKRC and ran the _Setup.exe in D:/KRC_Release.

You're right, I should've made backups but as we've never had a working machine this hadn't crossed my mind. However I still have the old hard drive.

did you check "C:\KRC\USER\Project Root\....."? any project files there

See attachment or see here.

What does that mean? WHERE does this message appears? on smartPad or on Monitor?

If I have the monitor plugged up, a pop up saying "Unable to establish connection to the KRC. Robot control not possible." will appear after a few minutes. No other error messages show. See here.

If I have the smartPad plugged up, "No connection to KRC possible." appears after a few minutes.

btw. on many KSS versions making KRCDiag for the first time produces ... not optimal report. so just consider that a warm-up and make another one

Good to know. I generated a new one which you can find here.

• please don't link to external images. if there is something to show, post it right here.

also, try to answer all questions, including this one:

WHERE does this message appears? on smartPad or on Monitor?

and this one

and this one:

did you check "C:\KRC\USER\Project Root\....."? any project files there

for first one, it would be sufficient to say "smartPad", instead of posting link to some other website. and as stated before, what shows up on smatPad does not matter until you get KSS running. all you can see there is that it cannot connect to Kuka HMI, which runs on KPC. this is why you have monitor to see directly what goes on. so forget about smartPad for now and just use monitor.

second, you only show subfolders of the C:\KRCWorkVisual but not projects. why?

projects have extension *.WVS or *.ASZ. so... are any such files there?

if yes, back them up... (just copy entire C:\KRC\USER\ProjectRoot to a USB for example)

also backup everything you find on D:, specially KOP and ZIP files. (just copy entire D:\ to a USB for example)

normally each of folders in C:\KRC\USER\ProjectRoot contains project but it is unclear which of them is the right one.

if there is a ZIP file on D:\, it may reveal that since KRCDiag is still incomplete.

you mentioned that his HDD is not the original...(but you have the original).

so what harddrive is this and why are you using it instead of original? when exactly did you remove original and why?

are the project files and backups on that drive?

3) read 1 and 2

• please don't link to external images. if there is something to show, post it right here

It only lets me attach one image? The "some other website" is google drive...

WHERE does this message appears? on smartPad or on Monitor?

It appears on both the smartPad and the Monitor after a few minutes with slightly different wording, as I stated. The image I attached showed it on the monitor.

did you check "C:\KRC\USER\Project Root\....."? any project files there?

No backups on D:/

Yes there are projects, I've already backed them all up.

In C:\KRC\USER\ProjectRoot there's:

• BaseProject.wvs
    • KR6R700SixxWP_X11.wvs
    • kr60_OLD8.2_8.37OK.wvs
    • KR60HA_X11_ECAT_TT_KPP1_40.wvs
    • KR60HA_X11_EtherCat_KPP0.wvs
    • KR60HA_X11_EtherCat_KPP1_40.wvs

There are also 3 copies of the KRC folder on the C: drive, labeled KRC_OLDINST, KRC_OLDINST1 and KRC_OLDINST2.

OLDINST1 only has logs, the other two folders have everything including project files. They all have the same names as those listed.

The retailer mentioned putting these projects in for our external turntable.

you mentioned that his HDD is not the original...(but you have the original).

so what harddrive is this and why are you using it instead of original? when exactly did you remove original and why?

When we were first getting error messages, the retailer thought it was an issue with the operating system. As we don't have a Kuka recovery stick they sent us a new hard drive freshly installed with a backup. Installing it did not make the errors go away. We removed the original in February.

On the old hard drive, the only project files are "BaseProject.wvs" and "WorkingProject.wvs"

KRC_OLDINST and OLDINST 2 both contain "kr60_OLD8.2_8.37OK.wvs"

No other backups on the old hard drive D: drive either.

I spoke with Kuka support and they noticed that I only have one network, Local Area Connection 3: Realtime OS Virtual Network Adapter, when there's supposed to be two. The previous hard drive showed the same thing. We were unable to connect to WorkVisual because of this. No update yet on how to restore the proper network status or if this could be our issue.

• google drive is not robot-forum.com

if images are used in posts, they become important part of discussion

if they are not hosted on this site, access is slow and makes for negative user experience.

also that would mean that we have no control how long such images are available is also not in forum interest.

and that diminishes my own motivation to offer any answer such posts as they are not bound to last (ie. wasting time).

everything on this forum directly ties into computer use, specially if configuration or programming are involved.

therefore some basic computer skills are expected. if someone has trouble posting in forum, they are most likely not able to do anything with the robot either.

as you can see forum allows more than one file attached so maybe let me offer some tips.

click on UPLOAD, select file and wait until image is inserted. then click on same UPLOAD button again and select additional file. etc.

or...

click on UPLOAD button, then select several files at once and click Ok.

or ...

don't even use UPLOAD button. display image using your favorite image viewer, select part of the image and copy (Ctrl+C), then click on open message in this forum and paste it using Ctrl+V. Repeat to add another image.

here is an example of selecting multiple files either by dragging mouse or holding Ctrl or Shift and selecting individual files:

back to restoration:

you can check registry for correct project. active project name can be found in HKLM\Software\KUKA Roboter GmbH\WorkVisual, then just read key called CurrentProjectName. do not make any changes.

next integrate KOP files you collected into WoV then open copy of WoV project that is supposed to be working project. check if it compiles. if ok, then most likely project is ok. you can also check if hardware configuration in project matches reality - for example drive types and arrangemen inside KRC4 controller

if all this looks ok and installing KSS does not help, chances are something is wrong with Windows. but that would require good image and USB Recovery stick.

btw... 6 months is a long time.... so i find that odd too.

most companies i know would not tolerate 6 days, in fact many would make fuss about 6h.

• Look, I appreciate your help, the martyrdom of responding on esoteric internet forums has not gone unnoticed but neither has your rudeness.

Please do not insult my intelligence due to a desire to live in the dust of the old internet. It's 2020. incorporating something as basic as google drive or external imaging sites is expected.

Do you not expect that I have tried alternate methods of attaching images once realizing your site only allows me one attachment? Has the act of moderating a support forum bloated your ego such that you assume all strangers are so vastly beneath your intelligence?

6 months is a long time but you may have noticed there was a pandemic in the middle of that. We are a small art studio and work on a different schedule than most.

• Hello rydeck, we are facing one in the same problem you related here.

We also have a KRC4 unit driving a KR 6 R900 sixx that, time to time, decide not to boot properly . . . . the problem is that w are a very small company, and we have fill or no attention at all of Kuka company representative in our situation.

Do you had success to solve this problem ? If so, could you share with us what to do ?

Best regards.

• KRC4 uses EtherCat for several things (system bus, control bus, extension bus, ...)

originally reported content suggests problem that smartPad boots but fails to connect to KRC and get IP address from it. this can have several causes so to see what is going on, one should try connecting external monitor, keyboard and mouse to KUKA PC, then try booting up robot controller.

if KPC does not boot (dark image on monitor) check if there is a red light on the motherboard, that would indicate an internal fault and require new motherboard. also check if there is 27VDC at KPC power connector. maybe fuse is blown... all fuses are on CCU and if one is blown, there will be lit LED next to it.

if you can confirm with help of the external monitor that KPC boots but does not reach point where KSS starts, chances are some Windows message dialog is shown and stops it... This is where keyboard and mouse come in to get past such message. Perhaps someone has an idea to use USB ports on the KRC to charge their phone, or forgot some USB stick etc. so make sure that nothing foreign is connected, make sure all batteries are ok (so there is no abrupt power off that could lead to file corruption) etc. good maintenance goes long way...

if you can confirm with help of the external monitor that KPC boots and KSS starts, problem may be with the smartPad. Cable problem for example is pretty common since cable gets tangled and stepped on but it could be also wrong settings or wiring inside KRC or bad CCU etc. and it could also be a wrong WoV project that was deployed... so knowing a bit of history (what happened and when) can be useful.

the normal way to deal with this is to confirm if hardware is ok (KPC, wiring, fuses) or if all the software seem to be ok.

if there is any sign of an issue with software, next step would be to use recovery stick to collect current image (in case you do not have latest WoV project or options etc.), try to collect KrcDiag, and then restore last working backup image...

you can smartPad on another robot. or try other smartPad on your robot... unless one of the two systems is old this will be straight forward but will need patience if smartPad firmware is being updates (see pinned topic READ FIRST)

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners