Kawasaki file types and extensions

• Hi,

I'm just starting to learn Kawasaki programming. (According to ABB/Fanuc/Dürr/b+m) It is about handling applications and painting applications. I probably missed an important sentence somewhere in the manuals, because I'm confused by the file types .AS and .PG and programming methods and the completely different commands for painting robots. Hope, some one can help to sort this.

- Block Step

Havn't seen a file of this type. Is the Extension .pg? Is it documented anywhere?

9 LINEAR SPEED3 ACCU0 TIMER2 TOOL1 WORK2 CLAMP1(OFF)2(ON) OX=15 WX=1010 #[-26.746,5.6725,-108.14,1.1434,-66.459,26.753] ;

- AS Programs

Sometimes saved as .as, sometimes as .pg. Why?

- PG Programs for paint robots

Saved as. PG and .AS with comands that are not documented in the AS-Language manual.

.PROGRAM pg800()@18/06/21 14:56#0

LMOVE XYZ1 0000,-382.5,2444.7,679.8,92.53,91.52,-90.49,1562.1

LMOVE XYZ1 0000,466.2,2455.4,679.8,92.53,91.52,-90.49,1562.1

LMOVE XYZ1 0000,473.3,2484.2,1699.6,92.53,91.52,-90.49,1562.1

LMOVE XYZ1 0000,-186.1,2475.9,1692.8,92.53,91.52,-90.49,1562.1

.END

thanks,

Torsten

Edited once, last by tportoff ().

• tportoff

Changed the title of the thread from “Kawasaki Dateitypen” to “Kawasaki file types and extensions”.
  • Ok, found it,

in the documentation, somewhere in the middle.

If one choose .AS the program and all data in the controller memory is stored with the file. That is default. If one chooses .PG, only the Programs (all, or a single? That is not explained)

• Welcome to the forum............:beerchug:

Have a look in the AS manual (look at SAVE Command).

File extensions are really only a form of 'itemising' or the 'registers' areas of the software to save.

It is therefore 'users choice' when saving information.

- SAVE/P..........................Will produce a file with extension .pg and will only contain the 'program data'

- SAVE/L...........................Will produce a file with extension .lc and will only contain the 'location data'

- SAVE/P/L.......................Will produce a file with extension .as as there is more than one stipulation and will contain all programs and all locations.

- SAVE .............................Will produce a file with extension .as as there has been no stipulation.

The actual files saved, can be opened, edited and modified offline using any standard text editor.

Also the controller can load in any .txt extension filename (as long as it is in the correct syntax and formatting).

When it comes to programming, Kawasaki generally has 2 forms:

- BLOCK Programming = Teach Pendant based.

- AS Programming = Language based.

In simple terms:

Block/Paint programming (OOBE) is a 'self contained' format specific to the application/robot being used.

- This format 'creates' the correct format, syntax and program code at the push of a button.

- You just need to change the parameters for each step of code - such as positions, speeds, accuracy, io etc.

- The program is therefore self contained into 1 program with no other 'registers' used.

AS programming (OOBE) is language based and uses various variables (locations, reals, strings etc).

- Therefore these are stored in separate registries.

- As it's language based, during execution of a program, it is accessing all of these registers for the values to apply in the program.

BLOCK program contains ALL the necessary information/parameters on one step of code.

- Therefore the program IS the program.

- SAVE/P blk_test will save the complete program and save as .pg

An AS program (usually) only contains pointers to registers.

- Therefore the program IS NOT the complete program.

- SAVE/P as_test will only save the program code.......no other variables from location, reals, string registers will be saved.

- But it will still be saved as .pg extension.

File extensions have nothing to do with 'types of programs', just types of data or registers when it was saved.

Until you get conversant, then just using SAVE........ will always save ALL the controller data with .as file extension.

• Hi kwakisaki,

thanks. That helps really a lot. If you have the manuals only and no robot for testing, some of the fundamentals are difficult to understand.

And one can mix this languages on one controller? So, a complex AS-Program can call sub programs, located in a PG/Block program? Or is this all separated?

thx

Torsten

• If you have the manuals only and no robot for testing, some of the fundamentals are difficult to understand.

Totally agree....:top:

You could do with sourcing KROSET from your local distributor, this is Kawasaki's OLP and without a physical robot, this will sure come in handy for you.

And one can mix this languages on one controller? So, a complex AS-Program can call sub programs, located in a PG/Block program? Or is this all separated?

Absolutely, this is quite common now.

An automotive manufacturer does exactly this:

- Main control, selection and monitoring programs are in AS.

- BLOCK Steps are just used for programs that require motion, positions and EOAT control and checks.

- EOAT is usually triggered using clamps/gun in BLOCK but call in clamp conditions (CC) which will be AS to control, monitor the EOAT.

- They use clamp 1/ gun etc (not to fire an output), but to call in a CC (which will be in AS), which fires the output and monitors for feedback etc.

This simplifies the day to running/maintaining of the systems for the operators, without the complexity of OTT language based scripting.

• Thank you kwakisaki,

that sounds good to me. Very flexible options. :thumbs_up:

thanks again

Torsten

PS: Have requested the K-Roset from Kawasaki. The more you study the robot, the more questions arise that cannot be answered with the manuals.

Edited 2 times, last by tportoff ().

• Hello I have a problem

I have two robot controllers C42F-A003 and for any reason they start to fail when i try to make a backup or try to load a program.

I try it in a lot of forms, only the programs i need, etc... the following error message appears CANNOT OPEN THE FILE.

I make the communication with a 232RS cable and with the 232KCWIN i can make the communication and i can edit the code use all the command monitor.

Someone know what could be the problem?

• Please start a new thread in future as this is not relevant to this thread.

Your file name is too long.

Reduce the size of it to 8 characters ensuring your start with a letter and not including any special characters.

ie maineos1

Advertising from our partners