KRC2 booting issues

• Hi,

Thanks for your comments and questions.

A quick summary of thread as it is quite long by now :smiling_face:

• Interim target is to clone HDD of controller PC but controller PC did not come with HDD instead it has EDC in IDE slot of controller's PC MB. So the target is to clone ESD.
    • To not mess with cloning on controller's PC I opted to do it on an old PC I have at home but that PC indeed :smiling_face: only has plenty of SATA ports, no IDE plug on MB. So I got SATA to IDE (and vice versa) converters and hoped EDC cards will be recognized
    • Yesterday I successfully launched Clonezilla on home PC but it failed to recognize EDC cards. pipo recommended to play with IDE mode. panic mode suggested turning off SMART mode. I did all that but unfortunately no combination lead to Clonezilla recognizing any of the 2 drives.
    • Following pipo suggestion today I got to Hiren's Boot CD. USB for some reason did not work but I burned HirensBootCD 15.2 on CD and as the home PC has DVD drive. I successfully booted Mini Windows XP, got to Device Manager but did not see EDC or any HDD. Just to double-check that this booted windows recongnizes HDD I pluged one regular empty SATA HDD back, scanned for new devices and it found it. So issue seems to be with booted Mini Windows not recognizing EDC via SATA to IDE converter.
    • I double-checked converter manual (link in next post). I assume I have to use SATA to IDE converter mode.
  • to be sure, again tried to change BIOS to " S.M.A.R.T. <Disable>" and "Configure SATA as <ACHI>". None of the 3 combinations worked.

Is there anything I can do in booted Windows XP Mini to try to install my missing drives? Install All Hardware Force?

Or shall I just get another old PC with IDE slots? :smiling_face: Or shall I prepare boot on USB and attempt to create clone on controller's PC?

Or go to some service provider and ask them to make clone? :smiling_face:

What do you think is the safest/best way to proceed?

• Hi,

let me tell you how I take an image of hard drives

Tools needed:

- PC with usb connector

- Imagaging program (I use a commercial program)

- Adapter from usb to SATA and IDE (2.5 and 3.5- search for usb to ide price app. 25.00 $)

(sometimes a lot of time, if you need to make sector based image)

as soon as you connect the hard drive to the computer via usb you will have an external hdd you can work with

Using the stuff above mentioned:

-start your pc

-connect hard drive (to the usb)

-have external hard drive available

-with imaging program

-select the hard drive you want to image

-depending on task choose

-clone hdd sector based (in order to find hard drive problems) or

-file based (just to have a copy on your hard disk)

-connect new hard disk and clone

In this case no major problem (unless your hard drive is really screwed up)

(At the moment I am searching my docs to find a the instruction with pictures on how to do?)

regards

MOM

• the bottom line is drives need to be recognized in order to gain R/W access.

i no longer have a PC old enough so no IDE ports. what i use is also just a cheap USB to PATA/SATA adapter. Also this is a compact and therefore portable solution so i always have it with me.

i already have KUKA USB Recovery stick so i don't need to install any backup software (Acronis or whatever).

Hence for me process is:

create HDD image

1. connect HDD to USB adapter

2. connect USB adapter to laptop

3. power up attached external drive (if using separate power)

4. now drive should be recognized and one can browse files etc. but don't really care about this right now

5. connect KUKA Recovery USB stick to another USB port on the laptop

6. using Windows explorer navigate to USB Recovery stick, and execute U:\Recovery\Recovery.exe (do not use shortcut in the root of the USB stick). Confirm with Yes when asked "are you sure you want to allow this program to run". Recovery stick GUI shows up.

7. click on Create Image of external disk and follow prompts. Each partition is saved as separate file (ImageC.wim or optionally also ImageD.wim). Image is compressed and if one ever needs a peek inside, 7zip allows to read and extract content as needed. Writing *.WIM is a bit more involved but fortunately this is rarely needed.

8. save image(s) to a save location for safekeeping

then restore HDD image is the same thing,

just in step 7 choose option to Restore Image to External disk...

another options (great if used often) is Kanguru but this is a bit pricey:

https://www.kanguru.com/duplic…lone-hd-1-to-1-dupe.shtml

this is KUKA USB Recovery screenshots:

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Hi,

yes, this is another solution

Problem:

it is only for file based backup, which not always is a good solution for finding hdd problems

(I am not talking about all the other problems)

regards

MOM

• I double-checked converter manual (link in next post). I assume I have to use SATA to IDE converter mode.

The manual and the print on the PCB don't correspond. So I would try both possibilities on a 'modern' PC running Windows or Linux, You will find the working combination, then you are shure for one thing, and you can try cloning again.

• Hi

On #61 DS says:

"I double-checked converter manual (link in next post). I assume I have to use SATA to IDE converter mode."

We have IDE (EDC or regular HDD)<->CONVERTOR<->SATA PORT ON MB(main board)

WHAT We need to convert and what mode must be set on convertor?

Q1:IDE<->SATA or SATA<->IDE

Q2: CONVERTOR MODE: 1. IDE TO SATA; 2. SATA TO IDE

A1: IDE<->SATA

A2: IDE <->CONVERTOR (CONVERTOR MODE MUST BE "IDE TO SATA")<->SATA on MB

In this way MB whill recognize IDE DISK(S) ( EDC or REGULAR HDD) like SATA DISK(S).

If I make a mistake - please anybody to explain my misstake.

DS

Please set the mode of convertor to "IDE to SATA" and check BIOS for recognised HDD(S)

Pipo

• As far as I know, kuka's recovery usb only works for KRC4, doesn't it?

• DS

can you try different converter? it turns out they are not all created equal. several sites and youtube video go over things like this, for example:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Hi,

I think the best solution for you would be just getting one of the usb to SATA/IDE converter.

(No need to open the PC and try to play with all the settings, different adapters)

And the important thing: you can use almost every PC with an usb connector.

It worked for me for over ten years without having any problem

regards

MOM

• Thanks for your analysis and comments!

To conclude on SATA <-> IDE converter:

- HW-wise it was only one option how I could connect: MB <> SATA cord <SATA/ IDE converter> EDC card (no options there)

- On converter I can choose "SATA to IDE" or "IDE to SATA" switch + jumper near the switch (2 options)

- In BIOS Drive configuration there is "Configure SATA as" <IDE> or <AHCI> (2 options)

- in BIOS S.M.A.R.T. can be <Enabled> or <Disabled> (2 options)

So I actually did run through all combinations, none worked, so it is likely wrong converter HW.

Will think of next steps based on all the advice and will report back! :smiling_face:

• DS

On you post #62 on picture I see under white PCI slot cable on blue slot like IDE.

What type is that port and cable

And please unplug EDC from converter and take a picture (close up) on connectors - it is possibile to you connection from EDC to converter at 180 deg? (wrong way)

Edited once, last by pipo ().

• Hi,

pipo

I think you are rigth they are not connected correctly (checking the noses - both should look in the same direction as would be in the ide connector)

Converting from ide to sata you would put the converter in male ide connector

Having ide you would put the hdd into to male ide connector

(Checking the picture of the hdd I just can find a female connector)

Having a closer look to the cable coming out of the blue connector I would also think that this is IDE port (number 1)

(80 wire instead of 40 wire)

DS

What device is connected to that conncector

Only hope by all these experiments not destroying your hhd

regards

MOM

• pipo, MOM, sorry, I think I have made a mistake in connecting converter and EDC wrong. I think you are right. I connected EDC to converter like in the picture but they are both meant to be plugged in male slots, which means I did it wrong and it also means I cannot simply turn them 180 degrees. They have to be mirrored. I think it is this connector in pic below that I had to buy instead to connect converter to EDC. Perhaps it explains why cards were warming up. Hope I have not already destroyed them by plugging them wrong. :frowning_face:

• MOM DS

On IDE EDC HDD the connector is FEMALE (with holes)

On MB IDE is MALE (with pins)

MB connector has a control pins ( missed pin on the center of connector) and hole on connector body. In thes way is impossible to connect IDE cable in to wrong position

https://ak.picdn.net/shutterst…deos/11843180/thumb/1.jpg

On other side the conector on IDE cable have plastic pin (I do not know the english word for him)

Searching in google I found:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

DS please see the video....

And BIG surprice - the IDE connector on convertor HAS safety plastic pin

When trying to connect to MB - no problem BUT when trying connect EDC disk is possibille to make mistake and connect in wrog way!!!!

DS

The EDC disk have a female connector. The CONVERTOR have a female connector on IDE side.

How he connected the two female connectors. With some adapter maybe

The convertor has JUMPERS AND SWICH. Set up them acording to manual in IDE to SATA MODE

• I think that problem was solwed

I hope the original disk is in good condition after wrong connection

DS please read carefully my post #77

Sucsess

Pipo

P.S.

DS

After clonning of disk and boot the robot please send a message

• Hi,

DS

You did not answer the question from #75 - maybe this is already the solution

My advise from #72 is still valid.

Connect the pins you already have to the hdd (converter also have female connector) and run the whole thing over usb connection

Other option buy another set of pins (as you already have) and use a ide cable to connect them watching noses

regards

MOM

• Hi,

by the way

I would suggest to use another IDE hard drive (anyone is good as long as no important informations are on) in order to test the switch settings.

for that you do not need the extra set of pins, but knowing that the setup is working correctly.

On the other hand

bying another set of pins and maybe another IDE cable this will be more expensive than just buying the usb to ide/sata converter.

In this case you can install your imaging program on your pc, connect the drive you want to clone (sector- or file base) to the hdd on your computer (as backup for later) change the hdd and copy from your pc hdd to the new one.

(this is actually I would do)

regards

MOM

Advertising from our partners