Frame data from backups?

• Hey, stupid Fanuc newb question: can I get UFrame and UTool data from the backups of a Fanuc controller?

I have a series of date-stamped backups made using the "Backup all" and "Backup all ASCII programs" options, and I'd like to look at the UFrame and UTool data in the different backups and see if/when the values were changed. I've run grep searches of the entire backup directories, but no joy.

I know that it's possible to "restore" the backup into RoboGuide and get the information that way, but that's awfully clunky (plus, RG is expensive).

If there's no way to extract the data from a regular "Backup all" and/or "Backup ASCII", is there a way to manually export the Frame data to the backup directory? I could add that as a procedural step to my regular backup procedure, if necessary.

• Sysframe.va will have the frame data to 3 decimal places, but no comments. Frame.dg will have the frame data to 1 decimal place, with comments.

I typically do backups of the MD: drive, so I am not sure if you will get those with a Backup all, or a Backup ASCII.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• So, the SYSFRAME.VA file in my backups is binary -- not human-readable. There is no FRAME.DG file. There is a FRAMEVAR.VR file, but it is also binary.

Speaking as a complete Fanuc ignoramus, what do you mean specifically by "backup of the MD drive"? I normally just make my backups by putting in a USB drive into MD1, then using the File>Backup menu. I've done Image backups this way as well, but the .IMG files don't seem to contain the Frame data in a human-readable format either.

• .va files should be human readable. .vr is the binary version. Might have a weird line ending encoding, but should still be readable.

Here is a snip of what I get from sysframe.va in one of my backups:

The MD: drive is what the backup all pulls from when it does a backup. It is like the C: drive on a computer. Most files in the controller live there. I just FTP in and pull the whole thing, that way it is easier to investigate issues. A MD: backup is what Fanuc will typically ask from when diagnosing issues.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• The .dg are readable

This isi one of my frame.dg

F Number: F170982

VERSION : HandlingTool

$VERSION: V8.30146 1/15/2016

DATE: 12-JAN-19 12:46

Tool Frame

138.3 -126.9 280.9 -180.0 .0 67.5

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Jog Frame

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

User Frame

87.3 -1028.3 -70.3 179.9 -.1 -.4 GRID

914.3 -69.6 -.1 -.0 1.4 -.3 Form

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Retired but still helping

• .va files should be human readable. .vr is the binary version. Might have a weird line ending encoding, but should still be readable.

No .VA files in my backups. VDs, VRs, but no VAs.

The .dg are readable

This is one of my frame.dg

I have some .DG files in my backups, but no FRAME.DG.

Okay, tried FTPing to the R30 directly. For some reason, FileZilla craps out -- says it can't parse the remote directory tree. But FTPing from the command line, and doing ls *.dg, shows me a FRAMES.DG file. And I can download them and read them in a text editor. So, thanks, that helps.

The MD: drive is what the backup all pulls from when it does a backup. It is like the C: drive on a computer. Most files in the controller live there. I just FTP in and pull the whole thing, that way it is easier to investigate issues. A MD: backup is what Fanuc will typically ask from when diagnosing issues.

Yeah, sorry -- I know the MD is the "main drive," I just wasn't sure what you meant by "backing it up". I was thinking in terms of options in the Backup menu. :party1: Is there a menu option for doing an MD backup, or is FTP-sucking the whole thing the only way to go?

I'm often not in a position to FTP the controller, though -- is there any way to get these files to backup to UD1, with the normal Backup All option on the pendant? Or even manually copy them from MD to UD1?

• You can copy all of \MD: by selecting MD as the device from the file menu and then copy *.* or what ever you want to a USB or memory card. You can also do a "Maintenance Backup" from the backup menu, which will also grab the whole MD.

• This is what I got from your SYSFRAME.SV

• So I am responding super late lol. I was wondering what program you guys used to open this file. Every time I open this file it is showing some weird numbers and I am guessing it is because it is binary. If you guys could tell me what program would show me the actual program lines I would greatly appreciate it.

• You need to look at the .VA files, they are the ASCII version of the binary .VR files.

You can save the .VA files by doing a maintenance backup, or set the device to MD:\ and just copy *.* or *.VA to your storage device. They can also be easily acquired from the robot's homepage through a web browser.

• So I am responding super late lol. I was wondering what program you guys used to open this file. Every time I open this file it is showing some weird numbers and I am guessing it is because it is binary. If you guys could tell me what program would show me the actual program lines I would greatly appreciate it.

A .SV file is a binary file that the robot can read, but is not human-readable. A file with the same name but a .SA extension is the ASCII, human-readable version of that file. Usually, you cannot load the ASCII version of a file into the robot.

Fanuc does the same thing with most files -- .LS files are the ASCII versions of .TP files, for example.

Advertising from our partners