Kawasaki error code d1506

• I have a z series( D Controller) robot that is getting the error code D1506 on joint #3 . Once I looked up the fault, and checked all the possible issues I am down to replacing the power module(servo amp). Before I replace this very expensive part does anyone know a good way to troubleshoot the module to see if it is actually the problem. Thanks for any help or comments.

• I have found power module joint faults to be a very accurate fault indication from memory and the majority of instances have been attributed to the power transistor/power IGBT module relative to the Joint number in question failing and replacement of the power block will rectify it.

If you have another Z series Arm, you could swap over the power block and test it.

- Just physical exchange is required, no settings/zeroing/software changes are required.

If is possible the 1KB/1RB board has failed to.......I would be very surprised in this instance if it was.

- Only way of proving that is to replace it making sure same 1GM and dipswitches are used.

If you are 'electronically' aware of power transistors/power IGBT devices, you could power off everything and leave for 10mins to discharge:

- Disconnect all the black cables going to the power block (supplies and outputs to motors).

- Cross reference the Troubleshooting Manual for the Power Block terminals.

- Using a DVM on diode check and or resistance check.

- Measure between UVW, P-U, P-V, P-W, N-U, N-V, N-W and confirm there are no direct short circuits relative to the joint in question.

- If there are ANY shorts circuits from this basic test on the relative joint terminals, then the power amplifier device is goosed and should be replaced.

- If no shorts are found, this is not 100% conclusive and further/deeper investigation may be required of the power block itself.

- In terms of total disassembly of the power block, visual inspection and component level testing.

It is possible the external harness, or motor may have failed.

- If JT1, or JT2 motor has same power rating, you could swap the motors/gear over and see if the fault moves with the motor.

- You would not need to re-zero, just a swap over of the motor and a quick dead mans power check and see if the fault moves with the motor.

- This would indicate it is not the power block, but external harness/motor.

- Cross referencing the Troubleshooting Manual for the wiring harness and, carry out some resistance or possibly using a megger check for leakage.

- Checking resistance between the UVW terminals (should be low resistance in ohms - but not zero ohms).

- Compare the resistance values with JT1 and JT2 if they are of the same power rating.

Don't quote me on it, but as mentioned, I have found this particular error to very accurate indeed when it comes to power block replacements.

Advertising from our partners