UPDATE KSS 8.2 to 8.3

• Hello people!

Can I update a robot from KSS 8.2 to KSS 8.3?

I have a robot that his HD has damanged, it was a very old HD and was changed to an SSD, if I pass an image of an HD SSD 8.3 and redo the robot catalog in WoV can it work?

I'm just trying to make the robot work, I don't need its previous backup.

• UPDATE:

In addition to the damaged HD, the motherboard also damaged, it was replaced by a new one but with the same GS1 final code. The only difference is that the output is SSD, the previous was IDE. The original KPC used a GS1 motherboard with IDE output, the kss was 8.2.

I will send the images with the RDC model, motherboard and the communication error that is on the smartpad.

KSS images tested:

8.3.39;

8.3.14;

8.3.8;

8.2.28;

8.2.22;

I passed the KSS 8.3 Win7 image and remade the catalog according to the robot being used, however the only problem that remains in the robot is that it does not connect with the control unit. Does the motherboard version influence the RDC or something in the robot's communication?

Another thing that happened is that on an external monitor with older KSS 8.3 images the display image is grainy, but only on the monitor, on the smartpad it is normal. The only image that didn't happen was 8.3.39.

NOTE: I also tried to use a WinXP 8.2.22 image but blue screen happens.

• yes older controller used HDD but then SSDs replaced them all even in KRC2. using SSD or HDD is not an issue.

taking image from one robot and trying to run on another (with updating WoV project)... well... it sure can work but there can be some limitations.

in most cases they are not even noticeable unless one knows where to look - but there are also cases like yours where things are not so smooth.

another issue is that image collected from working controller is already finalized. this means SID is assigned etc. this prevents certain communication if they are used together, on a same network. then there is issue with drivers, board package and tech options. wrong driver is likely reason for grainy image.

Board package is a small piece of software that gets installed with OS and it is used as an abstraction layer so that KSS no longer need to be customized to specific hardware (motherboard, network cards, CCU type etc.) . before that, there was a KSS for big robots/controller and KSS for compact controller and - version numbers did not match, so it was not obvious which one is newer for example.

Board package is normally included with each KSS and it usually installs automatically (need to be done just once). when motherboard is replaced, new board always comes with a USB stick containing board package.

most of the issues can be bypassed if one loads clean image that was not finalized. after that one can still choose to upgrade KSS to a higher version if needed - as long as they are same major version (first two version numbers match).

but that is not the end of it - there is a Firmware upgrade issue as well. Newer KSS versions expect that all hardware has compatible and up to date firmware (RDC, CCU, smartPad, KPP, KSP). so even when you get things working on the KSS side, there may be for example intermittent issues and radom errors. as far as i know firmware is not shared, it is strictly used by KUKA team. also installing firmware manually requires modified USB recovery stick but exact version control is important. wrong firmare version can brick hardware (CCU, KPP, KSP, RDC).

Finally there is a licensing issue. In short, upgrade from one KSS to another such as from 8.2 to 8.3 is rather expensive. KSS 8.2 and 8.3 for example use different version of Windows so upgrade like this also required new Windows license among other things. Windows license alone is about $1k , KSS license is about $5k, then add tech packages and you may end up with pricetag comparable to a whole new controller with all those options.

this is why making full backup of system while everything is working is so important. in fact i encourage people to create image before first boot from the HDD/SSD that it came with. but that's just me...

USB Recovery sticks may be expensive but they are well worth the expense. To get discounted pricing avoid buying things separately, you will pay full price. But when buying robot system, that is an opportunity to add to something else to the order: any accessories, spare parts tool etc. yes it increases spending at the moment but the all the addons are usually about half the price when bundled with system purchase. even if purchased separately and paying more, this need to be done just once, and can be used on bunch of controllers. single backup easily offsets trouble and costs associated with restoring or upgrading.

good luck...

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners