Kawasaki FS20N- Encoder battery low voltage

• Hello guys!

I'm just starting my adventure with robot programming as a junior engineer. In the past I used to be in contact with ABB and OTC robots, and now my job is to program the Kawasaki FS20N polishing process for the new company. I have two problems and I kindly ask for help.

One of the employees accidentally just typed in the "exe" command (without program name after "exe") and approved it. The robot moved forward and the J5 axis bent and damaged the pneumatic spigot. We quickly stopped the robot in an emergency and replaced the spigot with a new one. After restarting the robot, a "W1013 encoder battery low voltage [Servo(0)]" error appears on the computer screen and a red error light on the control cabinet keeps lighting up. After deletion it, I tried to put the robot in the starting position manually, but the robot is behaving strangely. In a kind of "base point" control the axes do not work properly. The robot moves in different axes and directions than I control. What battery should I buy and where is it located to replace it? Is it enough to change the battery and it should be working again?

And my second probelm:

I wrote the program about a month ago and it worked without problems. The boss asked me to back up the program for fear of losing data. So I downloaded the programs from the robot's memory to a CF card (the first time I had one in my hands :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) and took it out. Out of curiosity I turned on the program without the card and it turned out that it worked, so I left it like this, without the card inside. It turned out that after one of the sub-programmes was done, the polishing discs stop working, even though the robot is still making the right moves. What should I do? Is it enough to upload the programs back into the robot's memory? I can insert a screenshot of the program here.

I kindly ask for any help!

• Welcome to the forum...........:beerchug:

Typing in commands without understanding what they do can often result in what you've experienced - an expensive lesson......:justice:

- This is common with a whole host of commands, it retains the last instruction......so ALWAYS type in 'exactly what you want to do'.

- Same with DO....type in DO HOME and the robot will move home, then each time you type in just DO on it's own....it will move HOME.

- Until another DO instruction with an alternative instruction is typed and executed.

2. Encoder battery pack is located behind the rear 'black' cover where the umbilical's go into the base of the robot.

- DO NOT TURN OFF THE CONTROLLER FOR MORE THAN 30 MINS WITH ENCODER BATTERY ALARM ERRORS OR ALL ZEROING WILL BE LOST

- Battery replacement is a 5min job, so you have plenty of time, as long as you have the battery in hand.

- Battery is a dual AA 3.6V lithium battery pre wired and readily available from any Kawasaki distributor.

- When you have the battery, POWER OFF AND ISOLATE SUPPLIES and remove the back cover.

- You will see a board called 1HG and clearly see the battery assembly location.

- Swap it out, re-attach the back cover and power back on, the error should be removed now.

- If the Controller has not been powered off for > 30mins, you should not normally need to re-zero.

If the collision applied enough force to the wrist assembly (dependent of variation of model), sometimes the gear pulley attached to the motor shaft rotates (tapered fitting) is also forced around - this causes the physical wrist to mechanical spin - resulting in JT5 being out of mechanical zero.

Therefore, JT5 should be inspected by removing the side cover for any further damage (take care in there, belts are located for JT5 and JT6 and are not finger friendly.....so no touchy touchy until you have isolated the power during inspection).

I suspect you will need to re-zero or at least check mechanical zero.

- Inspect the robot joints, you will see scribe lines for each joint.

- When these lines are aligned, that is mechanical zero for the respective joint.

- So please manually use Joint mode and check.

- Any joints not correctly zero'd will invoke positional changes you are experiencing.

- Chances are JT4, JT5, JT6 will need checking and probably JT5 may require re-zeroing.

Zeroing and motor replacement manual is attached to assist with zeroing.

All data and programs are held in volatile memory on the CPU board (there is battery inside the controller for this purpose) - A single AA 3.6V lithium cell.

- May as well get one of these at the same time as the encoder battery and swap them both out.

- Again, following the 30 min power off rule and again a 5min job.

- It is located on the 1KA/1RA board and just slides out with a flying lead attached.

Regarding your problem

- Make another backup to CF card.

- Compare your earlier backup with the recent one (use a free text comparison app like Winmerge).

- Identify what is missing and then only load up the missing data.

- You do not run the risk of introducing other problems in other areas using this method.

- Blanket loading sometimes introduces problems in other areas and is like a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

- Better to locate the problem rather than assuming a previous backup will fix everything.

Good luck...........:top:

• Kwakisaki you wouldnt happen to have that manual for a E and D controller would you?

• Oh my mistake, I'm still learning all the different models. I don't want to high jack this post and can contact my distributer. Id be looking for a Zx series, RD series, and a RS series Zeroing and motors instruction manuals

• Today I got the betteries and I wanted to replace them. I tried to set up the robot so that each axis was in the 0,000 position and and noticed, that axis 3 and 6 don't move in "plus" direction. I am 99% sure that gears are not broken. My hit was really light. Do you think the reason is low encoder battery or it may be more serous problem? Should we call the service guys?

• Sounds like JT3 and JT6 are outside of their software limits......which indicates encoder data loss and it's possible other joints maybe affected to.

So you will have to re-zero the joints after you've replaced the battery.

Each joint has mechanical and software limits.

Software limits are user adjustable between the max/min ranges of the specification of the robot used - Located in Aux 0507.

If there is any zeroing data loss, it is probable that the encoder values will be different than to what it was calibrated before, therefore these 'new' values will be used to calculate joint angles and probably exceed either the minimum or maximum software limits.

This only allows the particular joint(s) affected to be moved in one direction to bring it back into the software limit.

- If joint angle displayed is 1000 deg, you will only be able to jog it in negative direction.

- If joint angle displayed is -1000 deg, you will only be able to jog it in positive direction.

So in order to jog your joint(s) in either direction, just carry out ONLY an Encoder Rotation Counter Reset to 0 degrees.

This should allow you to drive them to the respective scribe lines.

Then you could replace the battery and then zero the joints.

The main procedure for re-zeroing should always be carried out in the correct order:

1. Encoder Rotation Count Reset - Aux 050103 or ZZERO 10x command where x is the joint no.

2. Zeroing of the axis - Aux 050101 or ZZERO x command where x is the joint no.

A common mistake is to do one procedure and not the other, both procedures are always recommended.

Advertising from our partners