Kuka Reference Positions

• I'm looking for a reference position feature manual for Kuka Robots. By reference position i'm talking about how Fanuc robots will have a set reference position that triggers an output when the robot enters and leaves that position. Is there something like this in Kuka robots and if so is it possible to set up a background task that triggers a series of outputs based on the robot position.

If you know of what manual I can look at that would be extremely helpful or if you know any other helpful information about it let me know

Thanks

• In KUKAbots, these are Workspaces and Axis Workspaces. Defined by the system variables $WORKSPACE and $AXWORKSPACE.

Should be in either the Programming 1 or 2 manuals in the Manauls Software & Tools sub-forum.

• or try XHOME point and $IN_HOME system variable.

Fluke, what if i don't want it to be just when I'm home. For this cell I will be tending multiple machines and I would like to have them start when it knows the robot is safe and away from the machines. So in reality I would need two or three reference positions along with the Home position

• About checking if robot is in position:

KUKA has 6 homes: $HOME,,$HOME1, $HOME2 ...$HOME5

They allow you to tell if robot is close to a position. Position does not really have to be one of mentioned homes, you can reassign it to any point using $IN_HOME, $IN_HOME1, $IN_HOME2 etc. I do not like to reassign them to other points as it usually confuses heck out of operators.

If number of home positions is not sufficient, one can create own user function to check if robot is within some tolerances from any point (and as many points as you like. This however requires user function to be executed by one of interpreters (system homes are always working even if no interpreter is active).

About checking if robot is in some space/zone:

This can be standard (not safety rated), or safeOp (which is safety rated).

Standard spaces (workspaces) can be of different type. each supported type has up to 8 spaces.

Cartesian and Acis specific were around forever. Not sure when but Cylindrical was quietly added at some point... i recall seeing in KSS8.3.

These spaces allow you to detect if robot is inside or outside of some space and if needed to stop when inside or outside of mentioned space.

Changes to spaces can be done at runtime and effects are immediate.

if number of spaces provided by system is insufficient, one can create own user function to check if robot is within certain space. this however requires user function to be executed by one of interpreters (system workspaces are always working even if no interpreter is active).

Safe spaces are optional feature. They are available if SafeOperation is installed. One gets 17 spaces in total (cell, plus 16 spaces). Cell is always active and can be more complex space. other 16 spaces are either Cartesian or Axis specific, can be enabled by safety input etc.

changes to anything related to safety cannot be done at runtime, it also requires certain user level to make or apply changes.

For details, check key manuals mentioned in READ FIRST (programming manual for system integrators, system variables manual)

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners