FLASH is full

• During a firmware update on controller D (total of around 8mb) an error occured showing the "S-FLASH is FULL". Possibly the internal memory is full.

Unfortunately, since the update started already the system does not initialise anymore once it is returned to normal (DP switch 1,0,0,0,0,0,0 on 1KA board)

Is there any way I can flush the internal memory without an access to TP / terminal?

Regards,

Patryk

• For the reference on update:

.***************************************************************************

.*=== AS GROUP === : AS_01400207 2004/10/22 17:29

.*USER IF AS : UAS01400207 2004/10/22 17:04

.*USER IF TP : UTP01400207 2004/10/22 17:04

.*ARM CONTROL AS : AAS01400207 2004/10/22 17:05

.*USER IF AS MESSAGE FILE : MAS100207EN 2004/10/22 16:44

.*USER IF TP MESSAGE FILE : MTP100207EN 2004/10/22 11:08

.*ARM DATA FILE : ARM01400207 2004/10/22 10:57

.*USER IF IPL : UIP01310000 2004/09/28

.*ARM CONTROL IPL : AIP01250000 2004/09/10

.*=== SERVO GROUP === : SV_0403001U 2008/04/18 07:12

.*ARM CONTROL SERVO : ASV0403001U 2008/04/18 07:11

.*SRV DATA FILE : ASP0403001U 2008/04/18 07:45

.*ARM CONTROL SERVO CONT. : ASC0403001U 2008/04/18

.* [Shipment setting data]

.*There is no Shipment setting data.

.***************************************************************************

Updating to: AS_01G00224

• If my memory serves me correctly, the error message you received could be valid.

Mounted on the 1KA is a small flash memory module - this contains AS and SV firmware and is transferred during bootup to 1KA and 1KB board CPU's.

There were 4 main generic customer types available:

1. 1KJ 8Mb (early)

2. 1QJ 16Mb (later).

3. 1QJ 32Mb (later and I think Toyota Spec).

4. 1QJ 64Mb (later and I think Toyota Spec).

Please check your 1KA board for which version is fitted, I suspect you have 1KJ version (as your 1st firmware is very old)

You will need a 1QJ 16Mb version if you require the latest firmware to be installed and also will require Kernel ROM update.

To resolve it, using existing 1KJ, you just need compatible AS and SV firmware to install again which does not exceed 8Mb total.

I think up to around version 01800xxx is <8Mb.

Attached is procedure to flush serial 1KJ board only.

• kwakisaki,

thanks! That helped a lot - I had to forge a RS232 cross cable in the meantime.. :smiling_face:

And you're totally right. I have KJ flash module - which only gives me 8MB.

Since I don't have another firmawre (this is what I received from my Kawasaki local distributor) at hand I've edited as_load.cmd and removed jp & ch languages from downloading.

This helped to a point. Firmware managed to fully download however, I still cannot re-initialise. It freezes on kernel: loop forver statement.

Any ideas?

Maybe older firmware I can use?

Cheers,

Patryk

• Your distributor should have already been aware of 1KJ and 1QJ...not good that they are just handing out firmware revisions without the appropriate advice.

I've never attempted what you're doing in terms of reducing the file size by removing things so I don't know what the consequences would be.

I do know that for that version of firmware, the kernel requires upgrading.....But this requires the appropriate 1QJ board to be installed also.

I don't think it would be worthwhile even attempting a kernel upgrade to the 1KJ as you are likely to encounter the Kawasaki Red Screen of Death.

So, I think your only option is to install an appropriate version compatible with the 1KJ.....unless you can use the information the distributor provided (which is disputable) as leverage to see if they can send you a 1QJ FOC and the Kernel.

I've attached what I think is the maximum latest firmware (AS and SV) which is compatible for your current 1KJ.

You will need to unzip them first.

I also have your original firmware should you require it.

I don't accept any liability for any damage for using it though, so the risk is with you...…..Good luck....

• I found an asterisk by the 01800 version relating to Kernel required too.....that's why I posted the previous version to it which doesn't.

You may need to install the SV firmware I posted too.

I noticed on your first post, you seem to have the latest SV installed, I don't know if this is compatible with earlier versions of AS and that may be why you also got servo errors.

• You're very welcome and glad your all back an running again.

Maybe worth firing off an email to your distributor of what's happened, it may be that they are unaware of the 1KJ and 1QJ etc.

What combination of AS and SV have you finally settled on now then?

• I've settled on as014 and sv04.

AS018 booted as well initially... And I guess the only reason why I had the servo errors was due to lack of servo firmware.

Nonetheless, it is working now on 014. The reason for upgrading was to get the FTP option enabled. Unfortunately, 014 firmware still doesn't have it. I'm using krcc for file transfer and just wanted to check if the FTP option would be any faster.

I only hope it supports 7th axis as this something I need to initialise (rotating table).

Will definitely contact my local distributor regarding KJ and QJ. Knowledge worth sharing.

Thanks for this 'live' support!!

• Ok.....yes, I think the D Controller was a lot later to introduce the FTP function on account that the D Controller as standard did not come fitted with an Ethernet Port - This was an optional interface called the 1QN.

My info tells me you need anything later than revision 01E0031G......that means a 1QJ and Kernel for your current 1KA board just for the FTP functionality.

Maybe your distributor can give you a little 'extra' support in sourcing this for you.

I think from a 7th axis perspective you should be ok, as additional axis options have been quite standardized across the range from what I can recall.

• Unsure how much will it cost and would it help with the data transfer speed. Will need to look into this.

At the moment it takes around 20sec to transfer about 500 lines of Jmove code with KRcc in auto. The executed block is removed and meanwhile the robot is executing the consecutive one, the following is being loaded. And so on.. in loop.. until few millions of vectors are executed.

The transfer speeds will only affect the continuous milling once I'll have a small tool detail toolpath, this is when the bandwidth might become an issue. Was planning to test this today but got somewhat distracted with 'bricked' controller. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: thanks again!!

Will post a video of a working app once tested and most obvious bugs are dealt with.

Cheers

• Yes indeed cost and data transfer speed.

That I couldn't comment on really and yes milling seems to be the 'buzz' word at present and from what you've described is really only the way to go as far as Kawasaki is concerned from all accounts.

It appears you've already mastered the KRcc for your purpose too, so would love to see a video of your results...….Impressive indeed...………:top:

Have a good weekend...………:beerchug:

Advertising from our partners