ABB S3 wont start with auto run.

• Hi

I have created a programming for my ABB S3 robot which should work according to ABB themselves.

But when the teach pendant is put in its position in the cabinet nothing happens.

I have no option to do a synchronization.

If i press the auto run button and Start P the program starts and lits up, but the robot doesn´t turn on or anyhting.

I can only hear a relay click, and output 11 becomes activated.

I can drive the robot manually without any problem (other than complaining about not being synchronized)

Had anyone had this kind of problem before?

Best Regards

• You say that you can drive the robot manually, do you mean jog? ANY program execution should be blocked on an unsynchronized robot.

Correct, i can jog the robot.

I have no option to synchronize the robot.

I can see the error on the screen for it being unsynchronized when jogging.

How do i synchronize the robot?

I have tried placing it in the compartment and wait for the sync button to lit up but it never happens.

• Read thru the parameters section of the manual for detail, this info is from memory:

Move robot to the sync position and do the Rev counter update in the Param menu.

DO NOT do the Com (Commutation) update!!

You can enter the Fine calibration numbers from a tag somewhere on the robot or in the cabinet by pressing manual. Updating Fine Cal will update the axis where it sits.

Updating axes (A1 thru A6) parameters is done one at a time. An 'All Axes' option was added to later firmware versions to make setting up faster.

• Read thru the parameters section of the manual for detail, this info is from memory:

Move robot to the sync position and do the Rev counter update in the Param menu.

DO NOT do the Com (Commutation) update!!

You can enter the Fine calibration numbers from a tag somewhere on the robot or in the cabinet by pressing manual. Updating Fine Cal will update the axis where it sits.

Updating axes (A1 thru A6) parameters is done one at a time. An 'All Axes' option was added to later firmware versions to make setting up faster.

Unfortunately the commutation has been changed before...

During that time i couldn´t operate the robot at all with jogging.

I have changed them back to the same values that were written on the tag.

But since the tag is somewhat 30+ years old now the writing wasn´t the best and changed a few times, however since I can jog the robot now, does it mean that the correct commution were programmed? Or can it still be wrong?

Should i update the synchron pos or write manually what it says on the tag inside the robot?

Shouldn´t i have an option still to synchronize the robot by pressing the button on the cabinet?

• Hi Togoman,

ow do i synchronize the robot?

I have tried placing it in the compartment and wait for the sync button to lit up but it never happens.

You have an S3 Generation M88 / M89 Controller, or ?

This Generation is to synchronize like an S2 Controller.

1. First step to place the teach pendant in the compartment ist correct.

2. Check LED's on the Safety Board DSQC 210. Both Enable Channels A and B and all 3 LED's for Safety Channel must be on. (Bridges all safety Channels?)

3. Push Motor on Button on the Front Panel from the Controller. Drives goes on. Synchronizing button blinking.

4. Check, that the way is free for the Movement to the Synchronizing Position.

5. Push Synchronizing Button.

• Hi!

I have an S3 controller.

1. When placed in the compartment A-B doesn´t lit up. I have tried pressing the buttons in the compartment manualls as well just to check

(it works when jogging though by pressing the teach pendant large button)

But C-EN are lit up, are they supposed to?

2. The three LEDS lit up ok. (PB, EXT, LIM)

3. If i push "motor on" the "?" lits up, until i turn it off again.

4-5 as you understand i haven´t been able to do.

Edited 2 times, last by Togoman ().

• 1. When placed in the compartment A-B doesn´t lit up. I have tried pressing the buttons in the compartment manualls as well just to check

(it works when jogging though by pressing the teach pendant large button)

That's the problem.

You have to bridge also the automatic-channel for the door-safety-switch.

Do you have circuit diagrams ?

• Hi, I found myself in the exact same position, with the same robot and controller, as you until last night.

After reading through the entire 129 pages of forum threads looking for solutions and in the end buying another DSQC202 board, due to the encoder part of the board not working, only to discover that the new board had a different error! I put the removable chips from the old board on to the new one, and presto, green enable light on the 202 and no error lights all around!

I made the jumper connections sjx mentioned (in addition to the A5 and B5 connection for external e-stop) and more green lights show up... but still not able to power on the motors, I also only heard a relay click on momentarily from the safety board. I checked the relays on the safety board for bad contacts but still no luck.

The solution: after tracing the wires 579 and 580 (i think) from the safety board to the rectifier board below, and trying to measure if there was a signal there when pushing the RUN button, suddenly IT WORKED! There must have been a bad contact between the wire and the contact jaws on the backside of the connector, and when messing around with the wires the contact must have been restored.

Conclusion: Check your wires! It might look like a sound connection, but after 30 years and often years of storage, it might not be.

• The small 24V relays on the DSQC210 were known to be intermittent due to arced contacts. Used to replace all the relays automatically on the board before selling an IRB2000 or if just repairing the boards 20+ years ago.

Advertising from our partners