Integration into existing KRC4 in the field

• I am working with a system that has KSS V8.2.18, i purchased Ethernet/IP Option Package and was able to install on controller but can’t get .kop files into WoV.

Does it matter what version of WoV I use to work on this controller? I have 4,5,&6 of WoV installed on my laptop.

I connect to controller but the option package for Ethernet IP is not there.

I have looked in all the folders in the D drive under KOP but the .kop files are not there.

• You may have to use WV 3.x or even 2.x. Before KSS 8.3, IIRC, the option packages didn't use KOP files -- that came later.

Anyway, with the option installed on the robot, you should be able to simply upload the active Project from the robot to WV and work with it. WV will probably complain that you don't have the EIP option installed, but that should not cause any real errors.

However, if you encounter a failure during Deployment, with WV stating that not having EIP installed in WV is the issue, you may have to go under the Options menu and suppress the error.

• Thanks for the response.

I am trying to install the version of WoV that is in the controller v2.4.6 but my windows says I already have a version of 2.4 installed. I am guessing since I have v4.0, v5.0, and v6.0 of WoV it thinks I must laready have v2.4.6. Trying on a Virtual Machine.

Another question on this controller, I am trying to move the robot around while the techs complete the safety gate wiring, I am used to using "Start-up Mode" But it is grayed out. I have tried all the User Groups and no matter what I am logged in as, this option is always grayed out.

• Start-up mode works slightly different on KSS 8.2 or earlier versions, if you have hardwired safety, and also works different is You use software safety, like CIP Safety or ProfiSafe.

From KSS System Integrator manual

• Nice, going this far back to WoV 8.2 and KSS 8.2 I realize its like starting over, all the stuff I have learned in the new Kuka Robots like 2-3 years is not here in the older stuff.

I did manage to load WoV8.2.4 onto a VM and it works and I was able to get the project from the KRC4 controller but am getting errors that wont let me Make the project active.

A DTM from a Beckhoff Coupler that I got rid of, (not part of the hardware anymore) is the one giving the Error.

3:17:11 PM Error in DTM BK Device BK9053 V2.3 (mind. FW B3.00): Device description not found in file "DAP 3".

3:17:11 PM Error in DTM BK Device BK9053 V2.3 (mind. FW B3.00): Unhandled exception of type NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object..

3:17:11 PM Failed to initialize DTM BK Device BK9053 V2.3 (mind. FW B3.00). Ensure that the DTM library has been properly installed and the device description file exists.

3:17:11 PM The tool "Fdt" encountered a problem when attempting to open the working project!

Not sure what it is telling me here but I thought i got rid of it from the Smartpad but still getting this error.

• You is getting these errors while compiling the project?

After install WoV, did You loaded the DTM files on DTM catalog?

If I recall correctly, on this version You should put the files manually on a folder caled DeviceDescriptions

• KSS8.2 is quite a different beast so going back after working with 8.3 or 8.5 is sure to cause some discomfort.

I would say get WoV2.4.6.098 if working with KSS8.2. Also consider using older Beckhoff device description files (same vintage as KSS/WoV).

Couple of years ago (2016?) something was added to (EtherCat) device description files and suddeenly, many DTM did not work in WoV any more. It took some time and several WoV releases before newer device description files were supported again. So if using EtherCat devics, check download section on this forum. Not sure if same kind of thing happened with Bechoff devices for other types of networks (ProfiNet for example).

Most of the tech packages from that time did not have KOP files. That also includes EthernetIP. KOP for EthernetIP was introduced later on, i think in version 2.x

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Well that got my wheels turning, so I had a VM with Windows XP and also Windows 7, I had never even used the XP VM so I tried the W7. I loaded WoV 2.4.6 Build 98, got the copy straight from the KRC4 controller.

was anxious to try but still got the same error using the W7 VM. Loaded the DTM's made sure the Catalog had them but cannot make controller active because of the errors.

Question: What if I started a WoV Project from Scratch and tried to add everything myself, will this be a good or bad idea? I dont really care what is in the controller right now as far as programs, i am going to do this app from scratch. I just need Ethernet/IP Option working so I can control the Robot thru the HMI/GUI. The controller does have ExperTech, Gripper&SpotTech, RemoteService, KRC Security Update, and now the Ethernet/IP Option i installed this morning.

Question 2: What is involved in going to a new KSS, again I wouldnt mind wiping this and having a fresh controller as long as it had the Ethernet/IP Option.

• OK, well here is one this morning I cannot explain.

So I decided to do one last thing and try to make it work with Windows XP but I got the same errors as above, cannot activate the controller.

So I said just before I call KUKA Support let me try WoV 6.0 from my Windows 10 Laptop no VM, which I had never tried yet, and it worked!!!!

I am able to make the controller active, was able to map the Ethernet IP IO, Deployed and Activated the Project. The only thing I cannot do is Programming and Diagnosis from Wov 6.0, because it says the controller has to be v8.3 or higher.

So I guess WoV6.0 does work with KSSv8.2.18.

Advertising from our partners