IRB6 S1 robot in working order - need more info to get it going

• Hello,

Info to all robot history fans out there. Today I was delivered an IRB6 S1 robot. I was looking for one for a long time. The most interesting is that the robot is in a working order. With some extensive help :smiling_face: we managed to turn on the robot, synchronize it and run a a couple of simple programs, that were already stored in the memory. All was done on low speed to save the joints etc.

The last service sticker was applied in 2015 AFAIR, so it really worked long years :winking_face: - was used for welding, I got some equipment with the robot itself, some stuff I do not know what is for.

For now I have a question: I opened the back cabinet door and checked the number on the plate on the door - it says 00000161. Could you tell me what is the year of build of the robot with such a number? I can provide any photos with pleasure on request :smiling_face:

The cabinet plate is in Swedish, that does not make things easy, the teach pendant is in English though. I need to do a full service of the machine before I start using it. I got a manual to read :smiling_face: , any insights appreciated!

Edited 6 times, last by RobotM ().

• Nice to hear that ASEA S1 Systems still running.

My first experience with robots was in 1994 with an ASEA S1 IRB6/1 and Welding equipment from ESAB. This system was from 1978.

Think, yours should be about the same age.

The manipulator IBR6 / 1 is nearly the same like the IRB6 / 2., also maintenance. It has also some manuals here in the forum.

Good luck and have fun.

• Hi,

I was busy cleaning :smiling_face: over the weekend.

Find the pictures attached, the forum allows to attach only one small file, so I zipped 3 pix to use the space to the max.

Robot 3 pix.zip

I got the Mobil 1 ATF 220 oil - I assume it would be ok? I could identify the oil refilling and drainage screws for Axis 4&5 as well as drainage screw for the Axis 1. I am still missing the oil refilling point for the Axis 1.

Too, attached is the nameplate of the cabinet. Still interested in the year of build of the whole machine. Servomotors have very distant year of production - servo for axis 4 is from 1980's while servo for axis 5 is from 2003 I AFAIR.

Where to find the nameplate of the arm? :winking_face:

I read the docs I have. It is not so through as I thought :smiling_face: Luckily I got a programming manual for S1 dated 197x on loose sheets with the robot. I am missing a decent maintenance and troubleshooting guide... I already read the manual that is here on the forum, thank you for uploading it. It is for IRLB6, are the joints mechanically identical between IRB6 and IRBL6 arm? Especially the oil volume each joint to be filled with?

Edited 2 times, last by RobotM ().

• How is restoration going ?

• Servicing the robot will be the same as an IRBL6 (S2 vintage). The only difference between an S1 version IRB6 and the S2 IRBL6 is the length of the vertical arm (Axis 2) meaning the link rods and housing are longer. With regard to the amount of oil (ATF) in the harmonic drive gear boxes are going to be the same.

Advertising from our partners