Any Kuka KMP 1500 experts ?

• Hello guys,

I'm new to this forum and also to the KMP 1500 I had some time to play with it (mapping, creating locations, moving it around, etc.)

I was wondering if there is a way to give it (KMP1500) external commands for example:

I'm creating a txt. or Java. file and I make it reading it from somewhere (not from its software).

If anyone has some experience or information to share that will be great.

Thanks in advance!

• yes but you need to do some development and know the platform. fortunately with Java one can easily do anything you like with files or TCP sockets.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thanks for the fast answer!
    Can you give me an example (if that's not a problem of course) of how I can write and give external commands to the KMP 1500
    Because for now im only using the Sunrise Software without any programming.

thanks in advance.

• you would need to write program on KMP1500 to move to some arbitrary location. for test values cane be hardcoded. once this works, replace the target values with data comming from some other place. where the data comes from is up to you. since this is mobile unit, it is not practical to have an umbilical like smartPad and get the value from Process Data but it may be good milestone to start with. Reading file is also dead easy. getting data through TCP/IP is normally straight forward but in case of KMP it is complicated due system architecture and likely need to adapt WLAN configuration

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thank you for the fast answer and example!

About the data comming from other place.....that's something that i don't understand, you are saying "its up to you"
    I understand that i'm going to need some adapt WLAN configuration, but about the data reading and writing....
    For example is it possible for us to read a txt/java file that is generated from an external software?

Sorry for the stupid question I'm new to this and I'm trying to understand it completely.

Can you give me an example for the connection between KMP - External Software/ Commands?

Thanks in advance,

• "its up to you"

this simply means that you have options and need to decide what option you want to use.

information can be in many forms and you are not limited to use specific one. you just need to extract the information from suitable source and get it into format that KMP can use:

if the information is contained in the sound such as audible commands, you need to capture audio using microphone then decode the info.

if the information is contained in a form of image, you need vision system with camera or equivalent capturing the target and then decoding the contained info.

if the information is contained in a form of contact force, you need force transducer to feel the force and covert the readings into suitable format.

accessing and parsing information need to match the form and you did not decide what form you want to use.

reading data from some text file stored on the KMP hdd is not the same as transfering data through some network like Ethernet.

but regardless of option used - once you get the data in a suitable form, you can use it, it does not matter how or where it came from.

"is it possible for us to read a txt/java file that is generated from an external software?"

i don't get it, this makes no sense to me...

as long as you have the file, it is yours... you can read it. it does not matter if it was typed in manually and then saved, or generated by some program. it does not matter if file was created locally (on the KMP) or externally (on your laptop) and then transferred to place of use.... why would it even matter how, when, where or by what, the file was generated?

"Can you give me an example for the connection between KMP - External Software/ Commands?"

it seems to me that you are not familiar with Barometer story. many versions exist such as:

Example1: Connect smartPad to KMP and control KMP using robotic arm with stylus. control robot by your software

Example2: Build own device that simulates smartPad connection to KMP, then use it to send commands. If successfull, KMP will not be able to tell the difference.

Example3: Use yellow radio controller (JBox) to control KMP and use suitable actuators to control it, using your software.

Example4: Build your own device that simulated JBox....

Example5: Open KMP and install USB Extension cable so USB port is exposed. Use software on your computer to save file on a usb stick. Use drone to get that USB stick from your computer, fly to KMP, dock to explosed USB port and connect it....

Example6: Use couple of galvos to shine laser dots onto the floor next to KMP. Have vision system on KMP to follow the dots

Example7: Use existing KMP architecture to transmit commands using TCP/IP from your laptop/phone

Example8: Write eposode of Pinky and The Brain controlling KMP, send to Spielberg, wait until episode airs, meanwhile add TV antenna, receiver etc onto KMP...

3) read 1 and 2

• As Panic Mode says in the last post. You probably have to explain your vision a bit more in detail here because it doesn't make sense to send .txt or .java files.
    A much more efficient way would be to either send the information in the text-file as a propriate type bool ,string, vector whatever suits your needs or to make the KMP read the information from an external database instead.
    In the case of sending .java files it seems like you are most likely on the wrong track here. I guess you should instead focus on writing more generic code that can adapt to the changes you want to to instead of sending new program files to the KMP. What type of changes do you need that would require new programs to be sent?

• My idea is :

A KUKA QUANTEC robot picking parts from a (infeed) pallet and loading them to a machine and then unloading them to another pallet (outfeed). The moment when the infeed pallet is empty the KMP (waits for a signal from the robot) comes to take the outfeed pallet and store it somewhere, then it takes the previous infeed pallet (that is now empty) and place it on the outfeed location and then take a new infeed pallet with parts and place it on the infeed location.

I hope I had explained it well enough.

Thanks in advance and thank you for the understanding.

• not really...it may be me, but i find that posts are - disconnected.

what you just described as an idea is acually an overview of a paricular manufacturing process. this is important of course but ... this has nothing to do with original problem which is extracting location coordinates from some remote system and using it to position KMP. it helps to maintain focus on a real.

i guess you are just getting started with all this so prioritizing and communication are not developed yet. let me try to illustrate by an example:

idea mentioned in your last post could be realized without any communication with KMP. in fact given constraints mentioned in your last post, KMP may not even have to be have drives on - because what you described could be accomplished by using KMP brake release and some guy pushing KMP around the shop. or moving KMP using forklift. don't even need KMP, one could just use pallet instead of KMP and every bit of process could still work as you described.

but if you want KMP to read files or exhange information with some remote system, it would need to be switched on and communicating ... somehow.

this pesky little detail is still completely missing and if my understanding is correct, this detail IS the challenge you need help with which is why you are in this forum.

this example is just a gross exageration but it it is meant to illustrate how to zoom onto key issue and stay on topic.

this helps when discussing techical matter.

general ideas and concepts do not require much of a technical insight and therefore do not focus on details. this is why sich things can be discussed in different settings (in a coffee shop, at the dinner table or at the bus stop) or with managers, company owners, friends and family. they will easily grasp the idea like "robot picks something from A and puts it in B" and be able to participate.

but grandma and some random stranger at the bus stop are not likley to be interested at all to dive into discussions involving technical details like fieldbus, I/O, programming java, configuring WLAN etc. tech forums like this one are suited for such discussions.

i can go discuss either side of the spectrum but i am not seeing you leaning towards specific solution. maybe you can help a bit more?

so here are few questions:

1. do you have any Java programming experience? how about SunriseOS related training?

2. have you done any KMP related training?

3. why not stick with Graph for your application? it is the simplest and most common way to make things work. you don't want to spend time developing unicorn...

4. using built in motion planner features give you convenince, repeatability, corrections due laser data etc. this is a lot of valuable resources that you may be giving up. are you sure you are up to it?

3) read 1 and 2

• To answer your questions
    1.do you have any Java programming experience? how about SunriseOS related training? - No .

2.have you done any KMP related training? - No, i've just spoked with KUKA support for the Start-up and commisioning

3.why not stick with Graph for your application? - If the Graph is the simpliest way and it works i will totally stick to that.

Thanks for the understanding and patience.

• then you are in a really tight spot as your hands are tied.

i strongly suggest to get some Java training asap (formal or self taught) or hire somone that already knows it.

graph will allow you to define locations, actions etc.

you still need to share messages between KMP and rest of the system... and there are different ways to go about it.

doing TCP/IP comms is elegant but if you don't know KMP architecture, networking, etc. you will be stuck... unless you get KUKA help.

another way is to add own hardware (some I/Os and own radio for example). this way you could bypass WLAN etc. all together.

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners