KUKA KRC4 R900 sixx - Safety X11 and X41 signal to Gripper

• Hello.
    We are students and we have a few tasks to do with the KRC4 R900 sixx robot. We looked through the forum in search of answers (most pages have expired or do not work) and we have some uncertainty and questions.

KUKA KRC4 R900 sixx
    KRC4 compact (Agilus)
    WorkVisual 5.0

1) SAFETY SIGNALS X11

I'm not sure of all connections, can you check the attached images or have we done it right (pictures in attachment)? The robot works only in the service mode, we dont have an PLC. We need to be able to drive after switching to KCP in T1 / T2 / AUT. We want robot to work in these modes T1/T2/EXT. We do not have any safety gates, safety buttoms etc. We really need to use this mode.

2) X41 gripper control

Can we use two unmapped outputs(11 and 12 not assigned pins) in output X41 on the fourth axis of the robot to control a Chinese gripper powered by an electric servo drive? We mean sending signals via the X41 connector (11 and 12 to the bistable relay module, then the motor controller) (https://pl.aliexpress.com/item…ES&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_ searchweb201602_0, searchweb201603_0, ppcSwitch_0 & algo_pvid 1424d706-1606-4eb0-9d01-8d7327d67d91 = & = algo_expid 1424d706-1606-4eb0-9d01-8d7327d67d91-3)

In which cases should we use XPN1 and XPN41?

3) If it would be possible to control the gripper using X41 with modules and controllers, do you know where to buy such an X41 connector with a cable in Europe (preferably Poland)? Maybe this:
    https://www.igus.com/iPro/iPro…1_0017_USen.htm?c=US&l=en
    and try to choose a cable for it, is it very difficult to finish it yourself?

Thank you very much for the answers. We will answer as soon as possible to any question.

• Lemster68

Approved the thread.
  • "We want robot to work in these modes T1/T2/EXT. We do not have any safety gates, safety buttoms etc."

That IS the problem. to use high speed, you need guarding.

"The robot works only in the service mode"

either you did not wire everything on X11 as you say you did, or safety configuration does not match, for example you have chosen acknowledge safety by button (and no ack. button is wired)

"Can we use X41 to control gripper"

not directly. that gripper uses hobby servo which requries 5V and pulse control. X41 uses 24V and it is way too slow to produce required pulse timing. solution is to add interface. you can step down voltage using SMPS such as OKI-78SR05. it costs more than linear regulators but it does not need massive heatsink. also i would recommend adding TVS accross regulator output (call it experience). P6KE6V8A or P6KE6V8CA would do the job. next you would need something to produce needed servo timing... an MCU is needed.... or you can get Ninite 85 or DigiStump digispark mini. then you need to interface X41 outputs to MCU inputs. there are different ways to go about this - voltage dividers, optocouplers etc. finally you need to write some code for MCU to open/close gripper by moving servo to one of the two positions specified by signals from X41.

"X41 cable"

link you posted is to connectors, not cables. btw, Kuka robots i encountered normally include all field side connectors, including one for X41.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• The X11 looks about right -- just keep in mind that doing this bypasses all the robot safeties. I would strongly recommend not wiring a jumper across the "Operator Safety" contacts, at least until you need to run in automatic. Or wire them to a safety switch. The Agilus can easily move fast enough to kill someone in AUT or EXT modes. Or in T2, but at least in T2, someone has to be holding the deadman on the pendant.

The robot should have come with the parts to make the X41 connector. If they've been used or lost, you can buy the end and wire your own cable. The assembly of the cable end is a bit tricky, but there are instructions in this PDF.

The X41 pinout in this image works, as long as the I/O mapping is followed. But the EM8905 can be mapped to any 8-bit set of $INs and $OUTs. You should double-check the X41 with a voltmeter, however, just to be safe. If there is no power on the X41, you probably need to wire the X55 power loopback as shown in your images, unless you plan to power the I/O externally.

That little Chinese gripper looks like it uses a hobby servo motor. In order to control it, you'll probably have to use PWM on one of the X41 outputs. Also, those servos usually run on 3-5V, so connecting it to the X41's 24V supply is likely to burn it out.

• Hello,

We cannot see the attached photos to answer your question about X11. Please reupload if you're still interested to getting them checked.

• hello,

how can I control outputs using x41?

I know how to control outputs via the teachpad, but how do I transfer that signal to the mine valve or to another component. I'm used to Fanuc myself and that's just a hard IO. where you can plug the cables of sensors. so now my question is how do I get the signal to my valve

greatings Ewout

• for X41 there is a mating connector or prewired assembly. if you have one cable (valve or sensor) you can just connect it to X41 directly. if you have two, you can use ready made splitters. if you have more than that, you would need small box (aluminum or plastic) on the arm and bring all cables in and terminate them.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners