New to Staubli... need guidance

• hi, we have a used RX 160L and CS8C coming and I am tasked with getting it up and running. I am familiar with Kuka and have commissioned several of them. But this is my first Staubli. We need to add an ethercat card, configure it to be an ethercat slave to be driven by our own controller. Here are some of my questions.

1. Do you use SRS to configure the ethercat options once we add the card into the CS8C?

2. We are going to purchase a Hilscher Cifx card for Ethercat, do we need the PCI or PCIE version for the controller? Do we need to pay Staubli for a software enable of the card?

3. How can we get a copy of SRS? We have requested access to the technical library with Staubli, but we are waiting for entry. Is it kept there? For the basic version needed to configure the CS8C, is it free?

Are there any watchouts or gotchas with Staubli robots we should be aware of? Are they generally reliable?

• Hello Kiomon,

1. Yes, the card is configured in SRS. It's pretty easy and straight forward.
    2. You need the exact same Version sold by Stäubli. I am not sure if it's a special version only for Stäubli or if it's also sold by others. There is no enabling of the card needed.
    3. SRS is downloadable from their technical database, but requires a license dongle for some functionalities.

The difference between theory and practice is greater in practice than in theory.

• hi! We are finally back working on our Staubli project after we have moved to our new facility. We are having a strange issue. When we power up the robot, everything is fine. But after about 5-10 minutes we recieve asynchronous bus errors and the robot faults out. When we reboot, all goes back to normal, but the error returns 5-10 minutes after use. Staubli is investigating, but we have reseated the starc and checked for any obvious signs of physical damage and all looks fine.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? The power in our building is higher than normal at ~218v 3 phase and the robot is configured for 208v 3 phase. None of our other robots (kuka) are having any issues. But wanted to provide that information in case it useful.

Thoughts? Ideas?

• Hi Kiomon!

Just found this post...I’m planning to add an ethercat board on my staubli cs8c as well, can I ask you what model did you use? Have you ask for a licenze to staubli then?

Thanks a lot

• Thanks Kiomon, yeah probably isn’t possible to buy the card directly to Hilscher because of the vendor Id inside...

Can I ask you the price of the card from staubli? And also what kind of card are you going to use as a master on the pc?

Thanks a lot! 🙏🏽

Advertising from our partners