Kuka KR6-900 AIR CTR GIG connection

• Hello all.

I am planning the electrical connections (first time) to a KUKA KR6 robot that has the AIR CTR GIG connection configuration.

The robot has 2 pneumatic valves (5/3) and 4 digital inputs avaliable.

I thought that in order to connect to these inputs/outputs (that will be monitored/controlled with an external PLC) that the connection goes through the robot. I thought that we will connect the cable from the PLC to the robot to a connector on the base of the robot (but as far as I saw in the user manual the only connector that goes from the base of the robot to the end of the robot arm is the GIG connection (X74). Is this correct? Do we really need to guide a cable to control/monitor the available valves and inputs on top of the robot? Am I missing something?

Edit:

I just looked throgh the manual and one explanation could be that the solenoids and digital inputs are controlled/monitored by the robot controller? We just wire the end switches from the griper to the avaliable digital inputs on X41?

I hope that I explained so that you understand what I mean.

Thanks, in advanced for any information.

Cheers

Aleix

• that is quite foggy.... there are several KR6 versions out there (ten or so) and it is not clear which one you have, it is also unlcear what the situation with valves is - are they built into robot arm, mounted onto robot arm externally, or not on the robot arm at all. is energy supply installed and how (internal or external).

so how about detailed info from robot nameplate like mentioned in READ FIRST? if unsure just post pictures of robot name plate, robot arm and connectors you have eyed.

i am guessing it is one of the newer ones (Agilus or Agilus-2) but they are vastly different as well.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Hello.

Robot:

KR 6 R900-2 290001 1

The industrial robot KR 6 R900-2 is a top performer in its class due to its high

flexibility and long reach with optimal payload capacity.

- Maximum payload: 6.5 kg

- Maximum reach: 901 mm

- Number of axes: 6

- Pose repeatability (ISO 9283): ± 0.02 mm

- Protection rating (IEC 60529): IP65 / IP67

- Mounting position: Ceiling, Desired angle, Floor, Wall

Cable set INT 083ST0900 AIR CTR GIG* 290587 1

Internal energy supply system:

- 1 x air connected to valves specified below

- 1 x vacuum

- 1 x bus (Gbit)

- 1 x I/O (4x input, 2x output)

Internal valves:

- 2 5/3-way valves integrated into the robot wrist, for gripper control

I hope this lifts the fog.... :face_with_tongue:

• that is better... the "-2" after "KR6-R900" suggests that this is an Agilus-2 but what you posted does not match what i recall,..

first generation of this robot was called Agilus and this robot arm did have I/O and valves built into the arm (energy supply was internal). physical I/O was integrated into base of the robot and had 6xDO, 8xDI. four of the DO were connected to valves, remaining DO, DI and 24V power was on X41. out of factory I/O was not mapped so to use the I/O one had to play with WoV. The I/O in wrist was very convenient despite large and oddly placed X41 connector (if used, remember to adjust soft limits).

then Agilus-2 came out about year ago but the early version did not have valves or I/O built into the wrist. energy supply was still internal (air lines, I/O cable and etherent cable) and routed from base of the robot to the wrist. note that mentioned energy supply is just air lines and cables. physical I/O would be on the controller in a form of X12 interface (if one made sure to order this option). to use the I/O on the wrist, one needed to connect X12 to base of the robot, and internal energy supply would bring those to X76 i think at the robot wrist. This connector was placed much more concealed so no soft limits were affected. Many previous users of Agilus were not too happy with absence of I/O on the wrist of the successor model.

and obviously option was added to Agilus-2 that now could be ordered with those internal valves and I/O (using same EM8905-1001 like in Agilus). new version can have X41 but it is a more common 8-pole M12 connector (unlike bigger X41 on Agilus). smaller size means fewer pins and only 4xDI are accessible.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• and yes, you are correct, the E8905-1001 is controlled from robot. module is accessed by controller through data cable X21-X31. if you want PLC to have control over those (i don't see why but it is an option) you would need to connect PLC to a robot controller either through fieldbus or X12 (if you have the option)

3) read 1 and 2

• Hello.

Thanks for the explanation. Yes we will contro/monitorl the Valeves and digital inputs with the robot, doesn't make sene to mix it with the PLC, and will just send the status of the gripper to the PLC.

One follow up questio regarding the manual operation of the solenoid valves. I guess that it's possible to manually control them with the smartpad? Where would one find this option?

Cheers.

Aleix

• dpends on installed optionz...

you always have I/O control, even without any optional packages

if you have a GripperTech or UserTech, you can also use status keys

in fact when no option is installed you can still use the statu keys by evaluating

IS_KEY_PRESSED(14..17)

3) read 1 and 2

• Hello all.

So, the robot is placed in our robot cell and connected to power. We wired the position sensors on the grippers and connected them to x41.

My guess is that I have to configure and determine the address of the input in WorkVisual or on the smart pad. Also, the addresses to operate the solenoid valves for the grippers that are integrated in the robot.

I've looked in the diagnostics for the I/O's on the smart pad, but I cant seem to find the active inputs.

I was searching for a manual on how to do this but didn't find anything...

Advertising from our partners