KSS15002 Safe device communication error Profinet Device

• Hello Admin,

I am using: KRC4 Compact, KSS 8.3.32, KR10 R1100 Sixx, Profinet Profisafe Device 3.2.0, Work Visual 5.0 <-> Siemens PLC S7-1511 F-1 PN, TIA V14 SP1

For first time, I am configuring Profisafe communication between KRC4 Compact and S7 1511 F-1. The robot is ordered with Profisafe communication. In addition, X11 is configured and external enable signals bridged.(I couldn't find X311 to bridge!)

I read the previous threads regarding this issue but i couldn't solve the problem. I still have the error 'Safe device communication error Profinet Device'.

The profisafe ID's in PLC and Robot is set to 1. F_WD time increased to 500ms.

Do I have to bridge something in hardware? or Do I have to change Profisafe ID settings ? Where and How to set RES signals to True in PLC?

Attached PDF show present status of PLC.

Please help !

• If the robot was ordered with ProfiSafe, you should not be wiring anything on X11.

Which ProfiSafe option did the robot come with? There's a version that only supports (IIRC) 16 bits of Safe I/O, and a more advanced version (usually part of SafeOperation) that supports more.

Have you tried setting up basic non-safe ProfiNet I/O between the robot and PLC?

• Hi SkyeFire,

The robot comes with Profinet Profisafe device v3.2.

In work visual -> Profinet IO, I can only see 0 or 64 in 'no of safe IOs' column.

There is no safe operation installed!

I tried with X11 disconnected and Connected. In both cases, It doesn't affect the error messages, 'Safe device communication error' and 'Safety Stop'.

I tried with 0 safe IOs from robot side, deleted 64 safe IOs in Siemens GSD device, in order to establish only Profinet connection. I had a successful connection and normal 256 IOs are working fine.

It is only when i selected 64 safe IOs on Robot side and PLC side, i got this error back!

After disconnecting X11 connector, do I have to make any more hardware changes ?

The profinet safety ID in Robot is 7.

On PLC KRC4 GSD - f_source_add: 7, f_dest_add: 7, F_WD_Time: 250ms

PLC s7 1511 F-1 PN - low limit for f destination add: 1, high limit for f destination address: 99, central f source address: 7, default f_monitoring time: 250ms

Did I address them correctly ?

Do I have to map the 64 safety inputs somewhere in safety program?

• X11 is irrelevant, if the robot was purchased with ProfiSafe -- nothing should be plugged into it.

Establishing normal ProfiNet means that your basic network configuration is sound. So we can concentrate purely on the ProfiSafe-specific configuration items.

I am not a PLC expert, but the ProfiSafe settings on the PLC and robot must match. Particularly the Safe I/O size and the safety ID.

The PLC must be running a safety program, which is separate from the "normal" programs, to handle the robot's safety interface.

• SkyeFire : Thanks for the Information. Safe I/O size is 64 on both sides. Safe ID is 7 on both sides. I tried with F_WD timer 150 ms, 250 ms and 500 ms as is suggested in the previous threads related to this same error.

What I am missing is a safety program in PLC to handle the robot's safety interface. Can anyone please share an example or hand book on how to do it ? Thanks in advance!

• well.... this is a Compact controller.

so this is a bit different...

compact controllers and small size type 1 use CCUsr instead of CCU.

this means there is no X311, but there is an equivalent connector - X403 if my memory is correct. note that pinout is different but this serves the same purpose. article numbers for both are in attachment.

Btw. When using network based safety (ProfiSafe, CipSafety or FSoE) on a KRC4 controller:

1. If you ordered controller with network based safety, CCU will come with X311 jumper plug installed. If you ordered controller with X11 jumper plug X311 is not supplied, you need to buy it separately ($10-20?).

2. Network based safety means all basic safety and SafeOp signals (and that includes External enable signal) are comming from safety PLC. But that does not bypass hardware interface X311 and therefore mentioned connections are still needed.

One way or another X311 interface must be wired in order to enable robot. If there is no jumper plug connected to CCU X311, then placing external four bridges on X11 is needed. So "nothing connected to X11" is only true if and when X311 is jumpered directly on CCU. Or robot will not be able to move. period...

3. master is SafetyPLC. always...

4.only CIP Safety allows choice of 2byte/8byte safety interface. but you can always use 8byte size (64-bit) even on EthernetIP and if you don't use SafeOp. first two bytes are for Basic safety (required), remaining 6 bytes are for SafeOp (optional)

5. safety PLC must set reserved bits of safety interface high.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• panic mode : Thanks for detailed explanation.

Point 5: safety PLC must set reserved bits of safety interface high

- Just for clarification, does this mean that I have to set 64 safe outputs to high in safety program ? Because I am not sure on what output addresses are for emergency stops and safety doors and what are reserved bits! for a start, I am only using S7-1511- F1 PN without any safe IO modules connected.

• Read the Kuka profinet option manual. It goes into details about the signal mapping of safety inputs and what needs to be satisfied. On the Siemens side you will need to configure the appropriate GSDML in your project, and take special note of the F_DB that is associated with the robot controller. After startup, the profisafe configuration requires user acknowledgement to reintegrate the network, and this is handled through this F_DB. See this thread: How to use the Profisafe communication in TIA portal?

Ultimately it is up to you or a qualified systems engineer to design your safety system in such a way that it meets the needs of your risk assessment.

• panic mode : Thanks for detailed explanation.

Point 5: safety PLC must set reserved bits of safety interface high

- Just for clarification, does this mean that I have to set 64 safe outputs to high in safety program ? Because I am not sure on what output addresses are for emergency stops and safety doors and what are reserved bits! for a start, I am only using S7-1511- F1 PN without any safe IO modules connected.

not 64, only reserved ones and those needed by robot.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners