Rj3iB Memory Card Error "Device not formatted"

• Hi everyone!

We have an older Fanuc Robot Controller R-J3iB. I'm trying to access the files through the PCMCIA->CF and it seems like it doesn't want to work. I am getting a message "MC Card Inserted", however during SET DEVICE -> MC i'm getting a "Device not formatted error". I tried formatting it through the controller, but it wont let me select MC to format.

Details:
    -Card size 128mb and 256 mb (i have two cards)

-CF cards work fime

-FAT16 format

-Also tried resizing the 128 mb card to 32 mb, no luck

Any help is greatly appreciated :smiling_face:

• I have a 32MB, a 64MB and a 256MB that I currently use for R-J3 and up. The 256MB works great in R-J3iB. What I have noticed over the years is a memory card will eventually fail. It usually starts with errors similar to the ones you had. At first, I can reformat the card in another controller and get it to work for a while but eventually it gets worse and I just replace it. I always have spares with me because of this. I also format new cards in a controller before using them.

• You're right Skooter, however here it wasn't the case. I've tried multiple cards that have worked with other R-J3iB. I'm led to believe that this particular controller is not really standard. I've also looked into R-J3iB variables and some of them don't really match with present on this one :smiling_face:

• Good to know, as the 'my biggest bug' is when you arrive at a customer site, and have to have such a wide variety of backup mediums to cope with older systems and spend lots of time 'trying' to find/hope one that works.

Kawasaki older systems suffer horribly from CF card incompatibility regarding OEM and memory sizes and I have found that with older controllers, it was down to the drivers and memory sizes available at the time of release.

I wasn't sure about Fanuc, but after reading this thread, it appears Fanuc may suffer from this also, so it's good to know success types and fail types with older systems, many thanks for sharing.

• I had the same experience as what you wrote. Did you solve the problem using 32MB or 64MB memory card? So formatting it as 32MB in software was not a solution?

Think before you talk, Read it before you think about it.

Fran Lebowitz.

Advertising from our partners