Robot Shutdown

• Hello all,

Due to Covid-19 my company is facing the possibility of site shutdown. We run a few R2000ib robots with R30ib controllers. Seems like in the case of a shutdown, we will be shutting down all power to the systems. My question is, what risks should I foresee during startup and how to mitigate them

Tasks that I'm planning on taking:

1) 'All of the above backup'

2) IMG backup

3) PLC program backup

The D cell backup batteries have been replaced about a year ago. Should we go ahead and replace them again?

The SRAM backup battery is due to be replaced in about a month but unfortunately they have not been delivered yet. Do we see real threat here? I'm not sure if the SRAM battery is in parallel to the D cell backup batteries. In either case (worst case scenario), an IMG restore should take care of it correct?

Any other preventative/risk mitigating steps you all can recommend?

Thanks!

• You definitely need to replace the D batteries to ensure mastering is maintained.

The SRAM can be restored from an image backup, so not a big risk there.

Wouldn't hurt to make sure a quick master reference is set, but new D batteries should cover you.

• OK yeah D cell replacement is on the list. Can you point me to what the quick master reference is if you can? Never heard of it - I have not mastered a robot :thinking_face:

• If you want to be really paranoid, park all the robots at zero position before power off.

Regarding the batteries, it would be prudent to replace them, but I've seen robots go years over the scheduled PM for the CPU and the arm batteries without any adverse effects.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• If you want to be really paranoid, park all the robots at zero position before power off.

Not paranoia, an excellent suggestion.

I mention this to some of my clients if they are intending long shutdowns and the payload is not too extreme for the brakes.

And in cases where the zero position is not achievable (for any reason), then a 'relaxed' location which centralizes the gravity across the brakes and use that as reference position.

Advertising from our partners