Is it possible to use Telnet for two-way communication with the robot?

• We have a couple of robots at work, but they don't have any communication options enabled, is it possible to communicate with the robot through telnet to exchange information to and from the robot? If yes, what manual do I need for that (other than the Karel one)?

• Good. I'm assuming you are after PC communication. If you are needing PLC to robot then this may not help.

Now search the forum for this post. There is an example posted by Nation.

Change registers of fanuc robot with C# application

• Good. I'm assuming you are after PC communication. If you are needing PLC to robot then this may not help.

Now search the forum for this post. There is an example posted by Nation.

Change registers of fanuc robot with C# application

Thanks I found it, is it possible to use this approach to send data to a karel program?

My end goal is to be able to communicate to the robot like with socket. I want to calculate points/trajectories with MATLAB for example and then send the calculated points to the robot, is it possible to do that via the html approach? If so, is there any manual that gives more information on the subject, like what commands can I use when sending the info?

Also it should be a 2way communication, robot <-> pc, if thats possible I guess what I mostly need is pointers at what to research, so that I can make it happen?

• You can use this method to read and write numeric registers so you could use registers for each element of a PR. You could use Karel but it is not required for this. There are no manuals covering this topic that I am aware of, just the help of this forum.

• What does two way communication really mean?

You write "I want to calculate points/trajectories with MATLAB for example", but that could be both offline and online.

If you are looking for any kind of "real time" interactivity, then using the WebServer (R626) is probably not going to work too well.

If all you want to do is generate trajectories and then execute them, I would suggest to look at generating TP programs and upload those to the controller. Every R30iA I know has the FTP server if you have the WebServer.

• Neither FTP nor HTTP will be "real time" but either protocol may be good enough depending on what you are trying to do. However FTP will require you have a method in place to compile ascii LS to binary TP. Two-way comm is possible with both FTP and HTTP, but will require the PC program to constantly poll the robot for whatever data you want to read. All interaction would be initiated by the PC.

• As I already wrote: it depends on what Darkbound actually wants to do.

Overhead of any HTTP/FTP based action is going to be on the order of a couple hundred milliseconds in the best case. In my world, that reduces its utility to "off-line" use cases.

Hence my question.

If that is a problem, using the PCDK might be an option. There have been various reports here on the forum which claim the assemblies installed by roboguide are sufficient to perform some basic tasks. If I remember correctly, the PCDK does not require any additional options to be installed on the robot, so perhaps this would work better for Darkbound than the Web/FTP server.

• Hey I know about PCDK, but I couldn't figure out where to download it from?

Advertising from our partners