Request TwinCat Project file for sample KRC4 Slave Configuration

• Hello All

I request your help to provide me a project file from TwinCat3 where the external start interface is programmed to start the KUKA robot as slave.

Since we are ( myself and the PLC programmer) are not aligned in this topic and after explaining with the signal flow diagram available at KSS8.3 document, I felt it would make the process much easier if there is a preprogrammed Twincat 3 project file is available.

We are currently struggling in the following process.

1. Restart a robot process after a ramp stop

2. Error Handling. ($CONF_MESS)

3. Error Handling for a PLC(Master) - (Slave)KRC4(Master)-(Slave)Gripper-Festo

Thank you in advance for your support.

• hello,

do you have a question? what are you not aligned about?

manuals show EXT mode timing diagram which leaves not much for imagination.

what is a ramp stop? all stops require some sort of ramp.

your order is wrong. for example you put #1 to restart robot but #2 is error handling. that is a wrong order.

robot ALWAYS needs (in correct order):

1. drives powered and enabled

2. messages acknowledged ($CONFMESS)

3. program selected (can be done earlier too)

4. program started.

details of each step depend on used mode.

for example in T1,T2, drive enable requires use of deadman. in AUT ir requires manual activation of drives, in EXT this is done by inputs.

but this does not change order of 4 steps mentioned before.

details on program start in EXT depend on choices when making EXT configuration. it is not one case for all but manual covers each scenario.

this will determine which of time diagrams you need to use.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• maybe i rushed a bit....

do you have a working connection between PLC and KRC? that means there are blocks block of IO that one side can write and other read? you need that first, before attemepting to configure EXT signals.

iif you have not done that, you need to start by placing bridge module EL6692 or similar between the KRC and PLC.

reason is that both KRC and PLC are only ECAT masters. but communicaiton need to be MASTER-SLAVE.

in this case bridge acts as a slave to each other device (both KRC and PLC) so there are two Master-Slave networks.

this means that PLC does not see KRC, it only sees bridge.

and KRC does not see PLC, it only sees bridge.

so both PLC and KRC projects need correct ESI file of the bridge.

normally KRC connects to EK1100 bus coupler. this is the PRIMARY side of the bridge (accessed through golden fingers acting as backplane between EK1100 and other modules such as EL669x). this means that on robot side you would choose ESI file for PRIMARY side.

on the PLC end nornmally you connect ethernet cable directyl to one of ports on the bridge itself. this is SECONDARY side.

therefore when setting up PLC configuration, you need to import and use ESI file for SECONDARY port.

those are two different ESI files. if you choose to wire them backwards (so PLC ocnnects to EK1100) then PLC will need ESI file for PRIMARY and WorkVisual would need one for SECONDARY.

that was hardware setup,

next you need to choose size of IO block to be shared and map the I/Os on each end.

after deploying and activating projects both should be able to talk. setting bit on PLC should show up as active signal on robot side.

all of this is prerequisite to do any signal exchange.

once this works, then you can use some of the signals for EXT interface.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Hey thanks for the detailed info.

Switching from ProfiNet World to EtherCAT world, i was confused with a few technical information, which was cleared by your last message.

However the problem is as follows.

My PLC friend has no clue with the External control of KUKA Robots.I explained him the external configuration using the KSS System Integrator manual, but this is not helpful. The next step would be to get him a sample code of Twincat 3 with External Start, progammed so he can understand it. Hence I asked for a sample Twincat Project file.

My second query was handling the error quitting procedure, for which probably I have to reprogram the complete gripper process and error handling.

Thank You

• well, there are choices to be made before diving in and programming.

how many bits are needed, what kind of check if program number integrity, type of progrma number format.

those choices would determine which process is used.

basically first part is always the same:

enable robot

power up drives

clear messages

start program (operator is supposed to manually select CELL.SRC already, if needed rbot should tell to PLC if correct program is selected).

second part depends on mentioned choices and that is where differences come in.

so for the first part here is a generic example:

but... this all assumes that I/O between PLC and KRC are operational.

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners