Help Project Simulator for a D Controller FS03N Robot

• Grettings,

~Introduction~

I'm currently about to graduate from university. I want to make an offline simulator as a final project. Of all the university campuses, only 2 have a dedicated Mechatronics lab, making studying/practicing about robotics a limited experience for the ones that can't be at the ones that have a robot.

So, I have a desire as a final project to elaborate an free offline simulator for the students from the other campuses that don't have it to use it, so they could "practice" and learn more in depth. And at the end of the semester maybe they could plan a travel some session so they could work on the real robot to complement the experience, easier than having to move or travel every day, since most work 7 to 5 shifts.

~Help~

There's little to none knowledge on my own to conclude if it is even possible.

*The robot is a FS03N 6-axis with a hydraulic clamp (to grab).

*I've read about the software options in the forum, the ones that need to be online, more for communication, programming, etc.

*I've read about K-Roset and K-Tools, but haven't got a price on licensing and my guess is that is an oversized solution since it looks pointed to industrial purposes.

*I've read there's Official AS Language training and other solutions but pricing is about 900 Euro, for my country that's a quantity of money no student can easily "invest" yet to learn.

*My guess so far is that there no way I could get the AS Language compiler, or even a way to make a 3D versión to move around the real AS Language sintaxis.

So far:

I plan on using Unreal Engine as the graphic part designing the robot, the controller and some objects to interact with.

On the controller part, I want it to be able to connect to a real/virtual PLC since its a TCP/IP or a com serial connection. But I'm in the dark so far looking if there's a way to structure and code AS Language outside the Robot. Or if is possible to virtualize the Controller.

There's no intention of mine to replace the legal software or to illegally operate the robot, I just want to develop a tool for students like myself so we can ease a bit more the knowledge acquisition.

If there is any knowledge you can provide, validate or dismiss my idea, I'd be glad to read you all.

• Welcome to the forum...………:beerchug:

An interesting final project for sure.

I cannot assist in reverse engineering the Kawasaki Robot (this is outside of my scope).

However, you have mentioned previously about KROSET and KTOOLS and I would respectfully disagree that these are pointed to industrial purposes.

They are pointed to the specific Kawasaki Robotic Family of Products and contain various industrial application uses.

When you look at the current 'marketplace' of robot simulators, you have the following options:

1. OEM OLP Application - Usually offers real world functionality as a simulator including virtual Teach Pendant and all product functions and capabilities.

2. Third Party OLP Application - Usually only utilises a none OEM specific Teach Pendant and specific command instructions.

The trouble with using a third party application, is that it does not reflect the identical OEM version and therefore (IMHO) can never be a substitute for the OEM offering from a learners perspective.

Irrespective of this though, either option usually requires some sort of ££££.

However, KROSET offers a 'lite' version, which has no expiration and is FOC (but offers a number of restrictions).

So any student has access to this already without any outlay and can easily be used to learn, simulate and enjoy an introduction into Kawasaki Robotics.

The thing that 'jumps' off the page in relation to your intended final project.

KROSET does use an internal process called PCAS.

This process is just a virtual controller with a virtual Teach Pendant (no 3d Robot Model) but can be used as a standalone controller to move and program a robot offline.

I don't know whether this PCAS could be internally linked to another application to talk to a PLC or other peripherals, this you would need to investigate further.

However, what I do know is the PCAS plugin, is a self executable process outside of the KROSET environment, just doesn't include the actual 3d robot model.

With that in mind, I see:

1. Using this PCAS process - For your Controller and Teach Pendant Requirement.

2. Leaving you with the 3D modelling and virtual environment kinematics to add to it.

- Resulting in an OFFLINE simulator, with a virtual controller, virtual teach pendant with a 3D model (of your choosing) within a PC GUI Environment.

- However, there are licensing questions you would need to contact Kawasaki over before actually further developing this I think.

Check out your 'conversation here at Robot Forum'

Extract the zipped folder and use the PCAS.exe to launch.

Hope this helps...………….

• Hello,

thanks for the reply.

I'm totally aware that third party applications would never be a substitute to an OEM, I was looking to directly be able to link though some interface a virtual made robot to an official virtual controller/compiler that could be available, that could ease students limitations on learning robotics with what university offers so far.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same on KROSET dismissing the purpose of my project, I'll check the resources and boundaries KROSET Lite offers and see if it could suffice.

I would gladly look for another idea for a project but assured that I could be able to recommend the program to be used for the classes that can't have easily available the robot.

That being said, I'll experiment with PCAS process, since you've mentioned it, and provide it.

I'll keep in mind about licensing questions, I've already tried to contact Kawasaki on the original options they could offer and even see it I could budget some solution with the university. I'll contact again about what I can and shouldn't do with my idea in mind.

Again, thanks a lot for the input and the PCAS.

Advertising from our partners