KFloppy Setup for a Dummy

• Hi guys,

You'd be surprised to hear, this thread is not a request for the application, but a I request if anyone has some clear settings and instructions for a dummy.

I have read many threads for this, but I'm somewhat confused as I am reading many different configurations and suggestions.

In short, I have the following situation:

1. R-J2 Controller.

Using either:

2. Laptop with windows XP (not a VM).

Serial Port.

KFloppy.

3. Laptop with windows XP as a VM

USB to RS232 serial adapter.

KFloppy

I have been doing some reading regarding the serial cable requirement (which I intend to create my own) and could do with some clarification on this, as I have seen several versions of the pinout.

See attached.

- Which pinout is the correct pinout to be used and does anyone know what the other pinout is used for.

- Which port should I be using on the Controller - External or Internal.

- What do I need to set/initialize the port to on the Controller.

- Do I need to set a specific device in the file menu in order to upload/download between laptop and controller.

- Has anyone had successes/failures using USB to serial adapters - if successes, are there any additional settings required for USB to serial in place of standard hardware serial port settings.

As always, it would be very appreciated if anyone could offer some advice for this.

** please do not link to other threads, I have spent many hours going over them already, this is why I have confusing information **

• kwakisaki

Changed the title of the thread from “KFloppy Setup for Dummies” to “KFloppy Setup for a Dummy”.
  • Pinout - haven't built one in many, many years - the ones I purchase are easier. But the picture on the right seems like the ones I did build.

Which port - Use the default port on the SOP (outside).

Initialize port - No need to initiate. It is default for the PS100 Floppy Unit which makes it right for Kfloppy.

Set device - Just select Floppy from the 'Select device' screen.

USB-to-serial adapter - The COM port number depends on which USB port you use. I go to Device Manager after plugging in the adapter to see what COM port it is and then change to that port in the Kfloppy Port Settings. For fun, move to another port and see what the change is.

Other stuff - Make sure no other program is trying to use the COM you select. I shut down RSLinks on my XP laptop before opening Kfloppy.

Other Windows - Besides XP, I've had success with Win7 laptop running DOSBox with USB-to-serial and Win10 laptop running DOSBox with built in serial port and USB-to-serial.

• Skooter

Many thanks for the information, very much appreciated as I know this technology 'draws on memory and experience from back in the day'.

What you've posted is pretty much what I have been reading too around the forum, but you may have provided a golden nugget with one of the settings - Set device to Floppy.

Hopefully I'll get chance to try out some configurations including Set device to Floppy and feedback results over the next few days.

• Skooter

Many thanks for the information, very much appreciated as I know this technology 'draws on memory and experience from back in the day'.

What you've posted is pretty much what I have been reading too around the forum, but you may have provided a golden nugget with one of the settings - Set device to Floppy.

Hopefully I'll get chance to try out some configurations including Set device to Floppy and feedback results over the next few days.

Did you have any luck? I'm trying to setup a couple Fanuc S-420i robots with R-J2 controller so that I can send program files from my computer to the robot. I will try this as I believe you can send program files through kfloppy from what I have read.. If anyone else has any more info Re the controller end settings that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Hello, I would appreciate any help you could give me, I'm dealing with a rj2 controller, trying to load the motion package from files on my laptop running on windows 10 to the controller using an adapter cable serial to usb, what I understand is that I need to run Dosbox and then to call the kfloppy program, my question is this do I need to change the pinout on this cable to the same as 9 to 25 pin cable configuration you posted here?

Advertising from our partners