EE Connector Pinout Questions

• Hey Gang - Looking at the pinout for the EE Connector on an old LR Mate, and was hoping someone could help clarify some things for me.

Pinout given is:

1 - RDI1

2 - RDI2

3 - RDI3

4 - RDI4

5 - RDI5

6 - RDI6(*PPABN)

7 - (*HBK)

8 - +24V

9 - +24V

10 - +24V

11 - 0V

12 - RDICOM

Pins 1 through 5 are obviously inputs. I'm guessing pin 6 is configurable from input 6 tom something else? What the heck is *PPABN?

Pin 7 - What is *HBK?

+24V is clear, but the 0V and RDICOM for pins 11 and 12 is confusing. I've run into trouble with different companies meaning different things by 'Common' before (You don't wire hand I/O to 0V or COM on Epson robots, you wire them to what they call 'Ground' but really isn't)

Can I use the 0V and RDICOM interchangeably? Or do I need to use RDICOM for the common connection of all the inputs? Or do I use the 0V for the common connection of all the inputs?

It's great they give me 3 pins of +24VDC for 6 inputs, because it works out perfectly if I want to use splitters, or at least only have to try to solder two conductors into a single pin, but why only have one (or maybe two?) commons? This type of stuff drives me nuts, because I hate putting giant j-boxes on the end of little robots.

Appreciate the help with this - Thanks!

• Ah, acronyms. Thanks for breaking those out for me.

Functionally, if I put 24VDC to pin 6, I'll get an air pressure alarm, and if I put 24 VDC to pin 7, I'll get the SRVO-006 alarm? i.e. I don't have to use them, but I don't have to jumper them?

• Each Arm input requires a min current per input to switch on/off.

As IO can usually have NPN or PNP configurations, I am sure RDI Com is for this purpose accompanied with a 'moveable link' to switch between either a common rail 0v (PNP) or common rail 24v (NPN) configuration - ie sourcing current or sinking current to activate the input.

Attached is a snippet (but not the same pinout) which highlights the RDICOM, link and circuit.

• @kwakisaki - Ah, that makes absolutely perfect sense now that you say it. I'm in the US and rarely encounter NPN devices, so my mind doesn't usually jump to this - thanks for the input!

It's going to be easy enough to test out and make sure, but it looks like (based on my amateur-ish reading of the schematic you posted) that the default is for PNP, and I don't need to put power to the RDICOM pin - that make sense to you?

Thanks!

• Exactly..………:top:

I'm pretty sure (although I am new to Fanuc) that the later versions of Arm, do not have the RDICOM as a terminal, but still have the movable link.

Here in the UK is usually PNP also, but care should be taken to check the configuration and manuals prior to wiring the peripherals as incorrect wiring could cause excess current being pulled.

Most locations/countries have a default standard, but with cross ordering and 2nd user equipment being sourced from different locations, you should always verify which configuration it is set for before wiring up.

We know when something is pulling too much current as fuses pop, wiring melts and then we have a look at the manual and say oops! my bad...….:away:

Yes, PNP configuration is what is referred to as 'sourcing current'.

So by supplying 24V as input, you will 'source' the current.

Whereas NPN configuration is what is referred to as 'sinking current'.

So by supplying 0v as the input, will 'sink' the current.

If you look at proximity sensors and the like, you will find they are available in PNP and NPN flavours.

So OEM's would have to manufacture/supply 2 different types of board to support which is costly in comparison to a 'universal board' that can be configured using links.

Advertising from our partners