Position Register Transfer

• I have a cell that I need to duplicate and the cell is currently using 30 position registers to store offset information. I realize that this information was probably better stored in a recipe format but I don't have experience with using the recipe manager and I thought the best way at the time was to have the offsets store in the position register data.

Now that I need to duplicate that cell, I am dreading manually entering the data for the position registers. Also, from a program implementation point of view, it would be best if I could just load teh position register data from the first machine into the second.

I feel that there has to be a file that backs up this information when doing a file backup I just don't know what it's called. If there is such information included in a file backup that I can load, can somebody post the name of that file?

Thanks!

• I have figured out what I was doing wrong but can somebody explain the difference between the .VA and .VR files?

I think I was trying to load the wrong file, the .VA file, instead of the .VR file. What is the .VA file used for?

• No. As far as I'm aware, only TP and Karel program files have a compile utility.

For variable files, the best you can do is create a standard setup on one robot, or RoboGuide, then copy the binary to others.

• If you need to copy some specific PR to other machines instead of loading the whole register table, you can try to do it through karel.... if loading all register data is ok for you just load the posreg.vr file.

You cannot load a .va file, but you can access all PR registers with a karel routine... an idea is to create a new file, get all register values of the registers you want, parse the data to strings, append them to the file and you will have a human readable file with all data you want...

Then with another karel do the inverse step, open the file, parse data and overwrite the values of all affected registers...

If you split all data using a colon, you will be able to open it with excell if you want, if you add an index you can also track what PR number and data you are writting/reading.

There is no easy way to do what you want if you do not want to load all registers with the posreg.vr... but with some effort I am sure you can do that and also learn more about karel, I know it's possible because I've seen this working before.

• Can someone tell me how to move positions to a formatted teach pendant file.

So what we have is about 100 part files the structure is the same in the TP file there are the same number of moves. So in RG I am making the paths for each part then I want to transfer those positions to a shell TP file and rename it. Is there a way to do this??

• You can move local points to PRs, but the reverse cannot be done.

Valid:

Code
    PR[10]=P[1]

Not Valid:

Code
    P[1]=PR[10]

Also, I would recommend against storing a path in PRs. I like to use them only for points that need to be accessed from multiple programs. Path specific points should be local only, in my opinion.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Position registers do not care about Uframes or Utools. Be careful using them for paths.

Adding to this, if the interest of using a PR is to create entry/exit positions for machines, I suggest to save that points in PR but with joint representation.

Doing a motion to a PR point uses the currently selected uframe and utool if the PR point is stored as cartesian, but this doesn't apply if the point is saved with joint representation. If stored as joint tobot will move to that exact joints no matter the selected uframe or utool (it also works with cnt)

This allows to move the robot to an known position without danger, it also serves to save calibration positions that will never change if someone modify uframes, usseful to check of something has moved.

Advertising from our partners