Profinet communication between KRC4 and Siemens HMI

• Hello everyone,

I want to use a Siemens HMI as an interface with my KRC4 compact robot running KSS 8.3.37. I have the Profinet V3.3.1 option installed on the controller so I should be able to communicate with the Profinet HMI. My plan is to program the screen in TIA Portal and have the robot and screen communicate a few variables.

Has anyone tried this? Is it possible? I know that the robot controller can be communicated with a PLC and I've been able to try this because I've got one available, but I don't have an HMI to try beforehand if it works and I don't want to buy it without knowing for sure.

Thank you,

• I'm sorry, the controller will be the KRC4 and the device will be the HMI. I don't know which of the versions I have because the manual refers to them as "Profinet KRC-Nexxt or Profinet ProfiSafe Device" without saying which corresponds to the Device and Device&Scanner, but I have the Profinet KRC Nexxt V3.3.1 installed on the robot controller.

• manual is generic and covers moth M/S and -/S versions.

to find what you have, open the cabinet and look inside on the right wall. there are license stickers for KSS and all options showing major version, name, article number and serial number.

then using article number you can use loop up the options details at Xpert for example

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Hello panic mode I have the M/S option.

I've spoken with kuka support and they said that they could help me with the WV side of the communication which I've already configured. I added the device to the profinet bus and mapped the IO.

The problem is that those same IOs are not available in the TIA Portal software to assign tags and I can't find a way to establish a communication with the robot controller. I know this isn't a Siemens forum but I was hoping somebody else had succeded in doing this.

The alterative that Kuka suggested was using OPC or other protocol but it's a paid option I don't have.

• The problem is that those same IOs are not available in the TIA Portal software to assign tags and I can't find a way to establish a communication with the robot controller. I know this isn't a Siemens forum but I was hoping somebody else had succeded in doing this.

The alterative that Kuka suggested was using OPC or other protocol but it's a paid option I don't have.

Siemens HMI are designed to be used with Siemens PLC. I don't think there is a way to connect it directly with other profinet IO devices.

Advertising from our partners