Continuous rotation of J6 (or rotation beyond 180/-180...) for dispensing application

• I am trying to set up a dispensing application where the dispenser is fixed/static (and oriented vertically) and the arm (Fanuc S-430iW with RJ3 controller running v5.30-3G) is holding the part. The part is a 6" diameter cylinder and the dispensing path is essentially a helix that wraps around the cylinder multiple times. Part/cylinder would be held so that its axis is co-axial with J6. Motion speeds are in the range of 20-30mm/sec. I am using RoboDK to simulate/program and pulling in path points and normal vectors from Rhino.

A single turn works fine. But when trying to add points beyond a single turn the simulation fails (points not reachable). In theory just need J6 to continue turning while advancing the cylinder linearly back and forth along the axis of rotation. But in practice cannot get J6 rotations beyond 180/-180.

Any insight to a possible solution is appreciated.

Matt

• If you look under MENU>NEXT>SYSTEM>AXIS LIMITS What is J6 set to currently? You might need to look into running an external 7th axis and using the continuous turn option from Fanuc.

"I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio."

Edited once, last by SHIFT_Lock ().

• J6 can also be setup for continuous turn, if there are no cabling restrictions. You'll will need to buy the software option from Fanuc.

I thought that maybe you could do that just wasn't %100 sure.

"I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio."

• You could open those limits up to +360/-360 but i'm not sure that would work for your situation. To continuously rotate I imagine you will need the option which will cost $$.

• You could open those limits up to +360/-360 but i'm not sure that would work for your situation. To continuously rotate I imagine you will need the option which will cost $$.

Running into a similar issue, need to rotate to about -380 degrees to keep a welding whip out of the way, but hitting the axis limit at -360.

Is there any harm in increasing the limits even farther? If continuous rotation is an option, shouldn't I be able to increase these limits to whatever I'd like without damaging any internal cables?

• Is there any harm in increasing the limits even farther? If continuous rotation is an option, shouldn't I be able to increase these limits to whatever I'd like without damaging any internal cables?

In case of J6 you can only destroy the cables from your welding gun.

Others don't move, 'cos are connected to J6 motor :smiling_face:

Advertising from our partners