How do you remember the right-hand rule?

• Hello,

I'm a robotics instructor and I'm looking for any tips on how to get students to remember the right-hand rule. I had a saying, but my bosses decided it wasn't politically correct enough (they were probably right in their decision as I'm now working in a professional environment rather than a shop floor, but now I'm without a witty saying that helps students remember).

Particularly students like to get X (pointer) and Y (middle) fingers mixed up.

Anything that rhymes or is memorable would be appreciated!

Primary robot language: Fanuc.

Expertise: iRVision, PalletTool, iRPickTool, DCS.

• Maybe you can offer the politically correct version, then you can ask your customers if they are okay with you sharing your personal witty statement.

Also, Could you share your saying, so I can use and claim for myself, thanks. Haha jk

• Hello there, i don't know this tips will helping you or not, but when i give some training to my customer about Fanuc robot. i often saying to use the Backside of the robot mechanical (Power cable and Signal cable) as their basic to determine the XYZ direction on cartesian movement. Front side of the cable will be the X direction.

• Without using the un-PC version, using your hand which finger do we use for counting number 1? X comes first alphabetically.

Which finger do we use for counting number 2? Y comes second alphabetically.

Now arrange those two fingers without flipping me off.

I don't have a snappy response to Z except that's what's left when making the robot gang symbol with your hand.

And I realize some people count starting with their thumb, but they seem the exception to the rule in the United States.

• Not addressing how to remember, but a note to anyone who stumbles upon this wondering about the right hand rule, there is a secondary layer for rotations. If you point your thumb in the positive axis direction, your fingers curl in the positive rotation direction about that axis. Many people do not know this, and it is a helpful additional tool to teach.

• Not addressing how to remember, but a note to anyone who stumbles upon this wondering about the right hand rule, there is a secondary layer for rotations. If you point your thumb in the positive axis direction, your fingers curl in the positive rotation direction about that axis. Many people do not know this, and it is a helpful additional tool to teach.

That's the same way I've always taught it.

Advertising from our partners