Industrial Grinder Base as Robot Pedestal?

• Hello,

Has anyone used a heavy duty grinder base as a robot pedestal? They seem rigid enough and very similar in design to robot pedestals.

I need a pedestal ASAP for a 7kg payload robot used for a spray application.

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Such as the Baldor GA20:

t24262-2e2cdac175e71c35c15a1039ef6ffe6c.jpg

• The robot manufacturer generally provides required minimum specs for the mounting of every robot model. I would get the specs from them. But getting the material specs for the grinder stand may be harder.

The key item isn't just the weight and payload, but speed. Robots generate lots of inertial loads, and a tall stand needs extra rigidity to avoid vibrating. And the floor footprint is also an issue -- a narrow base, and/or one with insufficient anchors into the concrete, can work loose over time as the robot runs.

That grinder stand is probably built for a heavy vertical load, but only for human-grade lateral forces, and not the high dynamic jerks of a fast-moving robot. It might work, but I'd be worried about the floor anchors, and how much the stand might vibrate.

If you limit your robot to low speed, it might be fine. But it's hard to say. The robot manufacturer specs for mounting requirements should at least help you narrow things down.

• Thanks for the tips! It's roughly the same dimensions as some of the pedestals Fanuc offers. Main difference is that the grinder base is 3 fastened sections of cast iron, not a single welded steel piece. Better safe then sorry though, unless I can find an example of one being used long term, it's time to pay the rush job fab shop fee.

• Hi, I don't have enough knowledge about that but whatever I know I share here

Precision Grinding provides welded steel robot bases for manufacturing robots and automation equipment, built to your custom design specifications for size, dimensions & type.

Welded Base Frames

PGI has experience fabricating side frames, machine frames, calendar frames, steel robotics tables, robot risers, robot pedestals, robot risers and other steel bases and frames for automation, manufacturing and heavy industrial equipment.

Continuous Stream Welding

ASTM A36 Steel Plates, Hot Roll

2″, 3″ or 4″ square tubing Available

Cast Iron Base Support

Blanchard Ground tops and bottoms (± .005″ – .030″)

Precision Machined bores, holes, threads, grooves

Large G&L Milling & Machining

Solid Plate Steel Platforms & Machine Bases

Custom Steel Fabrication

Now I am learning Industrial Automation Training from CETPA Infotech check here. I want to make career in it.

Advertising from our partners