Machining with robots

• I'm working on a simple CAM to robot translation program and was wondering how many people were machining with fanuc robots and what type they are using. The company I work for is machining aluminum extrusions up to 8mm thick using F200 robots.

• Which program?

Unless your tolerances are wide open, I would not recommend it. A robot is not a mill. It is nowhere near as rigid. Your money would be better spent on a cheap Hass.

Also, robots are not accurate. They are repeatable, but not accurate. Don't expect to drop in a program and get perfect parts the first time. They require a lot of fudging of the path.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• The program I'm referring to is one I've written to convert g-code to robot tp code. Its similar to Fanuc's Shape-gen but accepts input from any cam software. The main reason I'm using this vs Octopuz or equivalent is I've programmed in a crude cutter compensation to adjust for the robot rigidity and accuracy.

I'm fully aware of the limitations of the F200, which is basically just 6 ballscrews. I know they have a small market so I'm guessing your experience is more from a typical R2000 or equivalent. For my application a typical cnc (10 in the shop) are too slow, so we have 20+ F200's. The components I'm machining have quite large tolerances .010" size, .040" TP. Basically just different shapes and features machined into an aluminum extrusion.

I mainly just curious if anyone else is machining with an F200 or the more standard robots. What works, what does not. Things like that.

• The F200 is a special model that is definitely capable of machining aluminium. It is more rigid than an articulated arm robot.

I have done some light aluminum machining with some of the other arms, but is definitely not straightforward like programming a CNC.

• Screenshot of my program. Currently working for the F200. I have not tested on an R2000. Requires Karel and Roboguide. Roboguide is used to compile the code using the command prompt utilitys.

• If you use a CNC controlled robot where you compensate for the material and tool dependent process forces that push the robot TCP away from it's path, you can even get a workpiece quality of +-0.2mm on a complex part in aluminum. This is quite good to keep the roughing tolerances for a machine tool

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Advertising from our partners