JT7 Robot vs K-Roset Mismatch

• I have an issue with a mismatch of my JT7 on my robot. It's a KJ264-A001 paint robot with an external axis JT7 (x-slide, -1500mm to 1500mm). My physical robot has the JT7 inverted, so if I hit "left" on the teach pendant, it moves in the +X direction (physically to the right if you are observing from behind the robot), and if you hit "right" it goes in the -X direction. --Not sure why or how it was set up this way, it just was.--

I have my work and robot, along with my custom paint gun setup and all the tool center points configured properly. My next step is to load my program which is a current backup from my physical robot. When I load the program, which works just fine, the JT7 ends up not being inverted because I did not select "inverted" in the initial external axis setup. When I execute one of my programs I noticed that the JT7 movements are backwards. So I went into the wizard to modify my external axis and check "inverted" this time. Now when I load the program to the controller I get the following error:

I should mention at this point that the "synchronize" function, while seemingly very important, has been tough to wrap my head around. I'm worried that something about they sync process is not working properly. Can somebody explain to me all of the bits that affect how the external axis behaves between program and K-Roset?

Why is it that if my physical robot appears to be inverted on the external axis, the K-Roset apparatus does not want to accept the external axis when I check the "inverted" box?

Thank you

• It would probably be better for you to also consult Kawasaki directly regarding this (potentially attend a KROSET training course and ask about real world and simulation differences) to get a more accurate answer.

Regarding Real World Robot JT7 direction etc.

External axis setup parameters are located in Aux Func 2002 which can only be accessed via Level 3 (maintenance level) and your integrator should have configured this correctly for you as they have access to this level.

An external axis in real world, can have various different motor sizes, power amplifiers and therefore different parameters associated with the specific application.

These need to be configured in real world robot in order to operate correctly and accurately.

In KROSET, external axis can only operate off 'default values' in KROSET and not by external values that come from a real world robot.

So, effectively, you cannot transfer real world external axis parameters by way of loading in a backup into KROSET and expect it to work.

KROSET is a simulation environment ONLY and if you're intending to use KROSET to fix configuration problems offline and then take that information and load it into a real world robot, then I would advise against it, as you could cause substantial problems in the real world robot including collisions, damage or/and indeed injury.

Regarding 'Synchronisation' (what is the best way to explain this...…:hmmm:)

In KROSET Application you have:

KROSET Controller (this is the main project area and the right hand side options).

Virtual Controller (PCAS which includes the virtual teach pendant).

Both of these 'Controllers' are not in synch.

Therefore, synchronize option is there to synch both controllers, settings, programs, locations etc.

However, you need to remember that it you load data in from real world and try to synchronise that to KROSET, you effectively are changing the KROSET Controller default values (which KROSET needs in order to operate in the simulation environment) with the real world values (which KROSET cannot operate in the simulation environment).

Therefore, you are very likely to encounter errors.

If I was in your position, I would create a project in KROSET with your model robot and add an external axis using the wizard.

Confirm, this is all working correctly.

Synchronize that with the virtual controller and again confirm it is all operating from the virtual controller.

Then transfer your motion programs to KROSET and then you will be able to program, modify them and test them.

If I was in your position, I would create a project in KROSET with your model robot and add an external axis using the wizard.

Confirm, this is all working correctly.

Synchronize that with the virtual controller and again confirm it is all operating from the virtual controller.

Then transfer your motion programs to KROSET and then you will be able to program, modify them and test them.

This is essentially what I did. The only difference being that there was no real way to set up the external axis without loading my program because those axis values are derived from the values found in the program.

What I might do is create a new project with the same robot and work, add the external axis with some dummy values, sync to the controller, and then upload my program.

I still worry that the inversion of that external axis will not match up, however. That's really the only big issue I can see at this point. When I load my program, I get a handful of errors which I hear is normal, plus a few abnormal ones for some TRANS values that seem to be of no consequence. Other than that the program loading is going fine. I just need to be able to tweak the external axis to work. At this point I can't go into the maintenance setup to verify of toggle the inversion of the external axis because I would have to change my entire program to compensate.

This is essentially what I did. The only difference being that there was no real way to set up the external axis without loading my program because those axis values are derived from the values found in the program.

If it is just the robot mounted on a linear slide, that is traversing left/right, right/left, then you should be able to accomplish that in KROSET without requiring any external data or using the virtual controller.

KROSET doesn't have to worry about coupling factors, resolutions, amplifiers etc as that's all contained within KROSET default values as far I know.

You've just given me a thought actually.

Over the weekend, I'll see about creating a simple video to setup a robot on a linear slide and then making some adjustments - for instance the direction using the wizard and publish the results.

It's something I've done before, but not made a video of it...….with what your experiencing it'll give me a reason to now.

If you want and not contravening any company IP, you could conversation me and attach your file save and KROSET project folder and I'll also take a look over it for you and see if I can ascertain anything from it?

• Attached is a basic linear slide build and also how to adjust the external axis envelope using the external axis wizard.

No bells or whistles, just the models and the robot of course.

Note:

All external axis wizard settings use KROSET default power amplifier, resolution settings in order to function.

Bringing in data from real world for external axis will probably result in errors and failure of external axis operations.

When setting up/modifying external axis using the wizard the 'direction vectors' of the external axis reference the model origin being used.

• Running through my program again, it appears to not be an issue with the external axis afterall. The LMOVE taught points are just fine (majority of the program), but the JMOVES are screwed up (wrong direction and location). I loaded my program and synched everything before cycling and it's still pointing the wrong direction when it JMOVES between LMOVE subroutines.

Running through my program again

What Program?

The LMOVE taught points are just fine (majority of the program), but the JMOVES are screwed up (wrong direction and location).

Location data will never change unless you or program code changes it or change the relativity.

Unless you provide any code/project details, there's no way of knowing just what you're experiencing, as what you've written just doesn't make any sense.

• Just wanted to stop back in as I have found the solution to my issue. The "Adapter" in the 7th axis did not need to be inverted in the wizard. It just need to be rotated 180 degrees about the Z axis. So I changed its O from 0 to 180 and moved my workpiece to the other side of the track. Now the 7th axis behaves normally.

• From what your were explaining before, I couldn't understand specifically what your were referring to.

Glad to hear you've resolved it though and thanks for posting back, it will be helpful for others.

I did mention in an earlier post regarding the model vectors being used for the direction, maybe I should have been a little clearer.

KROSET uses the origin/vectors associated with the STL that is used in many instances, therefore care must be taken when preparing the STL to make sure this will be correct for KROSET and also that the vectors can be aligned with the intended vectors.

Advertising from our partners