Invalid RDP Credentials / No HMI / Flashing underscore

• Hi,

We have recently received a used Kuka KR 60-HA with a KRC4 controller. I've plugged everything up and the computer and smartpad boots fine, all three icons at the top are green, but it says "Could not initiate robot interface. Please turn keyswitch." when I turn it it says "no HMI" under my robot. I also get an error message that says "Invalid RDP credentials. Invalid credentials received from spartPAD service."

Since these all seem related to the computer, I plugged up an external monitor (had to put a graphics card in first) and while the monitor is working, after booting it goes to a black screen with flashing underscore in the top left. Going to BIOs / setup doesn't seem to help either.

Not sure if this is a controller error, windows error, or error on my part during setup. The computer seemed to be in working order when we purchased it.

Thank you for any help

• that is very vague.... seems like someone changed login user name or password or edited fields on smartPad.

can you be a but more specific? there are several KPC versions. i think some really old ones did not have monitor output.

what is the year of the controller? (readable on cabinet label)?

what is the included KSS? (readable on license stickers inside cabinet)

what is the smartPad firmware version?

if the smartPad icons reach green levels, this means that some initial communication with KPC is done so using external monitor should allow you to see windows interface and HMI screen. if this is not what you see, the video card you added is not working.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• also try turning keyswitch to horizontal position, pressing menu button (robot icon) then take pictures of RDP and Network settings

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I thought it might be the RDP info too but hitting "set default" just removes the password and still says "no HMI."

KPC4? It doesn't have any monitor output

KSS 8.2

smartPAD version 2.0.57

BSP version 50

BootLoader version 23

Could definitely be an issue with the video card. The flashing underscore also occurs when Windows can't be booted properly which is a bit unnerving.

• well, the user name and password need to match that of controller. question is if that was changed.

try different video card. you need to get to HMI somehow, either through smartPad or external monitor.

btw, this vintage was using HDDs. KUKA's recommendation is to have backup drive after 5 years or so. this one is more than 3x that interval and potentially cause of your problem. i would make complete image just in case. then if you have an old one known good), try to restore it.

3) read 1 and 2

• Okay so I did a manual cold boot (disconnect battery, turn off, turn back on, reconnect battery) and now the monitor is working but I have a slew of other errors.

"EtherCAT communication timed out. Packet Missing"

"Could not set IP address. Unable to configure IP address automatically"

"No connection to KRC possible"

I've double checked all the connections and reset it a few times, checking on both the monitor and smartPAD separately. When I go on the monitor the KRC display boots up before eventually saying "Unable to establish connection to the KRC. Robot control not possible."

On top of this all three of the icons at the top are now red and the 3rd red LED on the controller is illuminated.

The network list has also been reset to just "192.168.0.253 / 255.255.0.0" I tried adding the other two but they didn't stay there.

• please read pinned topic READ FIRST.

if you have access to messages, forget about LED indicators, they are only last ditch resource, readable messages are much better. and don't just post digested texts of messages, include screenshot or message numbers, order of messages matters. older messages matter more, some follow up messages could be meaningless. now that you have access to HMI, you can at least generate KRCDiag and Archive (some backup that may be gold). i would recommend to forward KrcDiag to Kuka. parsing diag can be hard but the first log file shows all software versions, errors etc.

you mentioned that you were "connecting things". what things exactly?

you should only ocnnnect external things such as power, teach pendant, robot cables (X20-X30 and X21-X31). was there anything inside KRC4 that you touched? are the network connections solid? how about USB cable from KPC to PMB?

any blown fuses (red LEDs on PMB)?

any maintenance messages? that may explain your red indicator on cabinet door.

3) read 1 and 2

• No blown fuses. All I connected were the robot cables, power, smartPAD, and the video card and monitor. I didn't touch anything besides the x305 connection to the battery when I cold booted it, but that's plugged back in. Double checked that everything else had a firm connection.

Unfortunately I still don't have access to the HMI. Included are images of my smartPAD and external monitor. Unless there's some other way to generate the KrcDiag?

I did notice that the LED for FSOE (#5) is turned off. 3, 4, (STAS1 and STAS2) and 15 (STA1 CIB) were all quickly blinking in boot phase. 19 and 20 were also off (RUN SION and RUN CIB) but that says it's in init. Not sure if any of that is relevant.

• Any suggestions? Kuka support recommends completely reinstalling Windows and KSS off their recovery stick, but $1000 for a USB seems excessive. I tried reinstalling KSS by itself and it didn't fix anything. Perhaps the recovery stick is the way to go.

I figured out how to generate the diag and will forward that shortly.

• unless Support can come up with something based on Diag, you have no choice but to start fresh - assuming you have all the software options and clean image. USB stick is just a tool to collect or deliver the image. so even with stick, without image you would still be stuck

3) read 1 and 2

• On KSS8.2 and older, user name is Administrator. on newer KSS it is KukaUser.

in both cases default password is 68kuka1secpw59

3) read 1 and 2

• Can you log in into windows with the kuka username and password on the monitor?

It never asks me to login, I can get into windows fine.

unless Support can come up with something based on Diag, you have no choice but to start fresh - assuming you have all the software options and clean image. USB stick is just a tool to collect or deliver the image. so even with stick, without image you would still be stuck

So what is even included on their recovery stick? We weren't provided with any software or an image when we purchased the machine, although I could ask the sellers.

Kuka support was also wondering if it is an issue that I'm running KSS 8.3.37 on a machine that originally came with 8.2, but didn't follow up with me. Thoughts?

Advertising from our partners