Setting up Profisafe KRC4 Siemens S7-1500

• Hello all,

I'm having issues setting up Profisafe communications between a Seimens S7-1500 PLC and Kuka KRC4 controller. I've spent weeks looking throughout forum posts, replicating configurations and still can't seem to find the solution (maybe I'm overlooking something). This is my first time working with KUKA robots and TIA portal.

On the TIA Portal Side:

I've setup the KRC4-ProfiNet_4.1 module and assigned 64 safe in/outputs to slot 1 and 256 non-safe in/outputs to slot 2. The device number and F_Dest_Add have been set to 2 in correspondence to the Safety number on the KUKA side.

On the WorkVisual Side:

Network adapter Intel(R) Ethernet Connection l217-LM

Device name - ultron

No. of safe i/o's 64

No. of i/o's 256

Compatibility mode: KRC4-ProfiNet 4.1

Once both of these are setup, some type of connection is established and the two devices recognize each other, however I receive error KSS15002 on the smartPAD.

Please let me know if more information is needed to be provided to find a solution.

• well, that is not the easiest way to start. both sides can be rather challenging and require a lot of previous knowledge.

15002 is a generic message "Safe device communication error {0}"

the curly braces are placeholder for name of specific device. you did not say what device is that, it could be anything else too. there should be more messages. to toggle message view, click on top message,

also what is the exact version of your products (KSS, VoW, GSDML, TIA,...)?

also do not rely only on forum. read the manuals.

your PLC is master. what does it say about connection? is the exchange of standard data ok? only ProfiSafe not working? did you set all reserved signals to true?

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• This thread may help: How to use the Profisafe communication in TIA portal?

Key point is to make sure that the Profisafe addresses match in both Work Visual (or SmartPad) and in TIA, the default address is 7 on the Kuka side of things. After that, you need to acknowledge the communication handshake, if I recall there is a safe DB in TIA that you will need to read and write from to handle the acknowledgement, or use the global ack block in your F program.

• This is our second try getting safety communication working with the KRC4. Previously we were using an AB plc and tried CIP Safety over EthernetIP and also was unable to get safety communication working either. Standard communication worked just fine.

• woah... replacing tech package, entire PLC wiring, obtaining and learning new PLC software... that is a major move.

what was the firmware version of your AB PLC? did you make use of two network cards or AOP? AOP can be used only with newer firmware... if you have PLC with older firmware the only option is to use two network modules (one for safety and one for standard comms).

KRC4 Compact, OMRON, Ethernet/IP

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• This is our second try getting safety communication working with the KRC4. Previously we were using an AB plc and tried CIP Safety over EthernetIP and also was unable to get safety communication working either. Standard communication worked just fine.

The one time I had this happen (EIP communicating, CIP not), it was due to the odd sequence you have to jump through in RSLogix while setting up CIP-Safe in the PLC. It's not intuitive.

I can't recall the exact window (I used to have a screenshot, but it's gone missing), but it includes the "Safety" tab. You have to switch to the tab that has the "Generate" button, hit that button, then switch to the "Safety" tab, hit "Reset Ownership", then go back to the previous tab and hit the "Set" button.

As soon as we followed that sequence, all the CIP-Safe comm issues went away.

• i worked with both CipSafety and ProfiSafe. once you get it to work, life is easy.

i guess Kuka could do a better job in sharing instructions and maybe working example projects (PLC and WoV as a pair).

but also there is an issue how much or little effort users are willing to put in. so many don't even read. maybe video instructions...?

3) read 1 and 2

• I am actually working on the exact same thing right now, but with an s71200.

I have done profisafe to a krc4 in the past bit it was with an s7300.

I know last time I had to add some organization blocks (OB) to reset the communication error if something g went wrong.

I think that’s what I am needing to do now but the OB’s are slightly different for the 1200.

If I cycle power to the PLC once it boots up it will establish the connection and I can acknowledge the error on the smart pad. All is well until I make a program change in PLC or robot restarts.

Can you cycle power to your PLC and this happen?

• I believe I may be getting on the right track.

I receive these two errors on the 64 safe digital i/o module. I located the ACK_REI tag within DB30000 and set it to true.

The top error in the screenshot reads as follows:

Check the PROFIBUS DP/PROFINET IO connection and ensure that there are no external interference sources.

Check the F-monitoring time of the F-I/O in the hardware and network editor.

Check the diagnostics information of the F-I/O.

You can find more information by searching for the event ID in the STEP 7 online help.

Any suggestions? Thank you all for the help thus far.

• Try executing a global safety acknowledge function block in your safety program.

I was getting the same error and once I executed the global safety acknowledge everything was happy.

F_ACK_GL

• Try executing a global safety acknowledge function block in your safety program.

I was getting the same error and once I executed the global safety acknowledge everything was happy.

F_ACK_GL

Shortly after replying I discovered DB(30000) that is created when adding the 64 safe digital i/o module (I also needed to reset my F_Dest_Add to the proper safety address). There is a safety acknowledge ACK_REI and it got ProfiSafe working. Setting the first 2 SafeOperation input byes enables everything nicely except for motion enable. Were you able to fix this?

We also have the same issue when after making any changes to the project and uploading, my 64 safe digital i/o module faults out, and in order to fix it I must delete the module and add it back and reset the F_Dest_Add safety address and it's all happy again. Any clue on how to overcome this?

• This thread may help: How to use the Profisafe communication in TIA portal?

Key point is to make sure that the Profisafe addresses match in both Work Visual (or SmartPad) and in TIA, the default address is 7 on the Kuka side of things. After that, you need to acknowledge the communication handshake, if I recall there is a safe DB in TIA that you will need to read and write from to handle the acknowledgement, or use the global ack block in your F program.

Overlooked this when previously setting up, this is it! Possibly using the global ack block instead of the one specifically for DB30000 may fix it?

• Got the same Problems with the Profisafe here, was reading on Kuka Xpert to check my F_DEST_ADD under, Diagnose -> Diagnosemonitor -> (PNIO-DEV), problem here is that there is no F_DEST_ADD, now i'm a little bit concerned that smth went wrong with my Configuration, anyone here who can tell me what can be the issue that there is no F_DEST_ADD listed? Under my SafeOperation config ProfiSafe is listed as activated.

• Overlooked this when previously setting up, this is it! Possibly using the global ack block instead of the one specifically for DB30000 may fix it?

Any ideas how to enable the safe communication without having to acknowledge this on the robot TouchPad.
    Every cold start requires the global safety acknowledgement... ACK_GL from the PLC.
    And then again an acknowledge from the KUKA TouchPad. (going to T1 mode, acknowledge, home the robot again, go back to EXT mode)
    This cannot be the way the system designers planned it to be used. There must be a way where the safe communications is automatically correctly set up without the need to do anything manually.

Advertising from our partners