Where to Start UP50 Motoman?

• I have a UP50 Motoman arm that I have had for a while, never used, but need to get it working now for a job i have.

It is equipped with a Colombo spindle with an ATC so I would ideally like to use it for milling wood and foam in 2D and 3D.

The controller was built by a company called Truepath that is now defunct. I have been able to power up the controller and most everything in the cabinet but can't make it move. Changed the batteries in the arm with no luck. I have read the manual but there is obviously some basic knowledge that I lack to fully understand where to go next.

It has Yaskawa Servopack drivers models SGDS, which are linked to each other. One company I contacted said I would have to replace them to make it do what I need it to but I suspect they just wanted to sell me their service.

This does not have a teach pendant with it.

It has been a while so this is from memory but I am getting some sort of positional error from the software. This is using RSI (Robotics Systems Integration) software.

I suspect that the arm may have moved during shipping and has lost it's homes but can't seem to figure out how to make it home.

Thanks in advance.

-SF

• AD
  • Head office is in Ohio. You'd have to call them to see if they do training in the LA office.

The UP50 is an XRC controller. This is four generations old now and I don't think the Ohio office does XRC any more. The only office I know of that has a working XRC is in Canada.

You could take an NX100 basic course, the concept of driving and programming is the same. The big difference is the XRC was the last generation to not have a touch screen.

Robodoc

• Ohio does not have any XRC controllers in training. As far as the Irvine office, I don't remeber the last time a class was conducted there. Was at least 12 years ago and I believe longer. An instructor from Ohio can come to you. It will be pricey though, roughly $12k, for a 4, 4.5 day course. You could call the Ohio office and see if they could have a local/regional service tech come in. That could be cheaper as the person is local/somewhat local.

I know a thing or two, because I’ve seen a thing or two. Don't even ask about a third thing. I won't know it.

• Yaskawa uses simulation computers where an XRC pendant will be connected, no need of the arm or controller, Check with them :hi-bye:

The VRCs are long gone also. Would be more expensive than just having an instructor come to California. Additional costs with shipping a VRC and rental. Talking about a controller 15-20 years old. The office in Canada evidently is an option. Doc's suggest is also valid. While you are in Ohio taking NX Basic, someone could go over some of the differences.

I know a thing or two, because I’ve seen a thing or two. Don't even ask about a third thing. I won't know it.

• VRC'S and an actual working XRC controller/robot is available at Yaskawa Mexico office too, 95 and Robodoc, I agree that an NX training will be ok for him or even a tech going to his facility and he can have a training and troubleshoot his robot. :hi-bye:

Hero for fun, I'll help you when I'm bored.

• They now have virtual learning where you connect remotely to their computers and they teach through Motosim. They have DX100,200 and YRC1000 I believe. The cost is the same as if you where in the classroom.

• The virtual distance learning is using the MotoSim EG-VRC software. Unfortunately, it does not support XRC. The first distance learning class is being conducted this week. As of now only YRC1000 Basic and Basic with Material Handling are available. A DX200 Basic with Material Handling is scheduled for a month from now. That was based on a customer demand.