KRC4 ethercat communication timeout

• Hi There, I'm having trouble with a cell I'm doing which has two KRC4 running on a Profinet Network, 2 Measuring machines on EtherCat and 3 CNC machines on Profibus, they are all controlled by a Beckhoff PLC. The issue is one of the robots randomly goes into error and gives me the message I've attached with this thread, this in turn puts my cell in error, I have checked all the ethercat connection a number of times and it looks fine. Any ideas of what might causing this. Bare in mind that it's just one robot that keeps doing this and that I've also tried swapping the smart pendants around. Thank you any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Hm... hard to tell if the entire internal ECat bus is going down, or just the SmartPad. Two things to try:

1. On the problem robot, get it running, then remove the SmartPad -- you can safely do this by hitting the white button up near the E-Stop on the SmartPad. This will give you a 20-30sec "safe" time window to unplug the Smartpad from the KRC4 without causing a safety fault. After this, the robot should run fine without the SmartPad.

2. Just swap the SmartPads between the two robots, and see if the problem follows the KRC4 or the SmartPad.

The other thing to do is take a KRCDiag (ideally soon after this error occurs), and send it to KUKA Tech Support (with a message indicating the time the error occurred, so they know where to look). The detailed log messages should contain enough detail to narrow down which part of the system is generating this error.

• good tip to try to run without smartPad and make Diag. You can also check Diagnostics>Logbook

if smartPAd interface is faulty (X19) then running without smartPAd would make problem go away.

Aso I would start checking connections on all KSB devices, then KCB...

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Sorry for my late response but thanks guys for your help. I tried out what you guys had suggested but the error kept coming on randomly. I had to call in the Kuka agents in my area and they sent in a technician who identified the problem as a damaged motherboard on the Kuka, so he replaced it and I finished working on my cell but this morning I got a call that the error had started again. I will inform you guys of solution as soon as they permanately get do away with the programme.

Advertising from our partners