KUKA KRC2 OfficeLite 5.2.OL FLEXlm License Finder

• I have a legal, licensed version of KUKA Sim Pro Version 2.0. I have it installed on a computer and it is registered through the visualcomponents official website for that computer. What I cannot get to work is the OfficeLite Version 5.2.OL. My understanding is that this is supposed to be part of the Sim Pro software that we purchased. However, when it starts up, I get the KUKA Cross3, then the HMI screen halfway starts, at which point, it states that I need to specify the license server or give the location of the license file. I do not know where/what I do/go for this.

The office computer I'm using is a Dell running Vista. However, I was getting the same error when I was running this on an HP machine. These are both old computers, but they have been running fine, except for this. Note that the computer I am installing this on is not connected to the internet, which may or may not be causing the FLEXlm license manager error. The Sim Pro software appears to work exactly as it should on either machine. I just cannot get the OfficeLite software to run, apparently due to the licensing issue (or something else?).

KUKA has been mostly no help. I spent over two years attempting to get any level of support, as we had purchased all of this software when we originally bought the robots and no amount of contact would have anyone tell me whether anything is available to be purchased today that will let me compile KRC2 programs offline. As of a year ago, I was finally able to get the old license for the Sim Pro software issue resolved, but now I'm another year into this and still have never been able to make OfficeLite work. Having the Sim Pro software working is nearly useless if I cannot run the OfficeLite software. I think. Unless someone can tell me otherwise.

ALTERNATIVELY:

I would deeply appreciate anyone telling me ANYTHING that I can do to get KUKA KRC2 programs written, compiled and tested offline. Currently, I am having to use a 3rd-party editor, send it to one of my shop floor robots, take the machine off of its task in production, debug, test, whatever else and then send it back to my desk where I do more work/debugging/changes, etc. If someone can suggest some possible workaround, I wouldn't be able to express my thanks adequately. In seven years of working where I am, I have had (no exaggeration) thousands of hours of machine downtime because I have to debug through the robots themselves, not to mention the aggravation of having to walk back and forth from my office to the shop floor just to see if something is going to compile or not.

I have considered purchasing a used controller cabinet, wheeling it into my office and connecting through it just to check for program compilation. But I can't even get KUKA corporate tech support or the local sales "expert" to tell me if that is even feasible. I can't even get them to tell me to go bleep myself.

AND NOW THE RANT:

Well, not really a rant. I just want it known that I have solved all future KUKA issues by purchasing an ABB robot as my latest machine. I am absolutely incredulous over how stoically the entire organization that I have had to deal with has been able to steadfastly ignore any questions I have had about the software that my company purchased with the machines originally. That said, the KUKA hardware components group has been pretty helpful on getting issues resolved and parts sent whenever needed. The software group on the other hand... man...

• I've always found SimPro to be a bit problematic in this regard, although I've heard that the more recent versions are greatly improved. SimPro didn't seem to be terrible on its own, but connecting it with OfficeLite always seemed to be a problem for everyone.

Most of the time, I ran OfficeLite standalone, without SimPro, and that worked for 90%+ of my software engineering needs. The only things I couldn't do with OfficeLite were things that were hardware dependent, like I/O testing, RSI, Force-Torque control, etc.

There are also OfficePCs, which are basically a desktop PC configured as a complete KRC controller, lacking only the teach pendant and the robot arm. The main advantage over OL is that there's zero risk of any software conflicts.

It is possible to convert a KRC2 to think it's an OfficePC, though I have to admit I've never done it. I think you simply change "office=FALSE" to "office=TRUE" in HW_INF.INI, but I'm sure someone will correct me on that. :icon_rolleyes: You can return it to "regular" mode by switching the setting back.

• Man -- if I could get OfficeLite to work AT ALL, in any capacity, my boss would think I was on some kind of happy drugs. I don't think that I'd even be concerned with whether or not it communicates with Sim Pro.

Do you know where/how the FLEXlm license manager is supposed to do whatever it does when it's supposed to be doing it? Is there a separate license manager program that needs to be installed to make OfficeLite find its license?

• Hello, i can tell you how the licence (single PC) of the OL 8.3 works...

And i have to renew it every year...

1. In the virtual machine, start the program FingerprintCreator.exe in the directory C:\KRC\UTIL\FLEXLM. KUKA Fingerprint Creator opens.

2. Enter the path for saving the fingerprint in the Select Output File box, or use the ... button to select the file location. If the data are being saved to a USB stick, the virtual machine must be active when the stick is connected. If no USB drive is displayed in the virtual machine, it must be connected manually to the virtual machine.

3. Click on the Create button. The KUKA Fingerprint *.KFP is created in the specified location.

4. Send the fingerprint file *.KFP with the following information by e-mail to simulation@kuka-roboter.de:

KUKA reference number for the purchased software (found under Supplier Ref. No. on the Order Confirmation from KUKA)

The license key is requested. The license file *.LIC will be sent to you by KUKA Roboter.

Activation

KUKA.OfficeLite is started and the activation wizard FLEXnet License Finder is opened.

3. Save the license file *.LIC in the virtual machine.

4. Select the license type Specify the License File. Click Next> to proceed.

5. Enter the location and name of the license file *.LIC or use Browse to search for the license file *.LIC and load it. Click Next> to proceed.

6. Confirm the licensing with Finish. KUKA.OfficeLite is now licensed and activated.

• For the KRC2 i use old KUKA Sim PRO 1.1 and OL 4.1.7 SP08 demo which was a long time ago free and full working version of 30 days...(if you find in registry where the key is stored, you delete it and it works again for 30 days ;))... but KSS v4.1.7 was used on old KRC1 and some later KRC2 on win95... but programs tested there are working also on KRC2 on WinXp and KRC2 ed05... and even i did transitions on KRC4 from KRC2 if the robot arm is the same( like KR30-3, etc...)

• i have used OL for years. more recent ones are 5.6, 8.2, 8.3 and now 8.5.

activating license is always awkward unless you get the license file.

without license file this is very ...well... very "flexLM-ish" with crap terminology and 200page manual.

but getting license file also happen to still be a challenge because what Simulation team in Germany wanted was not documented or communicated clearly.

For example when they ask for "the big sticker on top of the dvd-package or maybe a copy of order confirmation or shipping note" they apparently don't mean package or the box or shipping note/label that we received. they mean one that they sent. And of course we never saw this as it went through Kuka Canada.

so generated fingerprint with flexLM then few emails and gentle nudging of local KUKA to get involved and ... license received. point flexLM to it and done. one still has to request new file every year but that is formality after initial activation.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Guys, I'm not 100% sure, but if I recall correctly, OfficeLite 5.x will not run on any Windows above XP SP3.

EngineerTex, did You tried install Your OL on a Windows XP virtual machine?

And, about alternatives, Office PC is pretty interesting. Years ago I worked for a company that has one and it was a time saver.

• Ohmygosh! Thanks for all of this. I can guarantee that I would never have gotten any of this info/procedure without everyone's help. Thank you, DannyDJ.

massula, I think that the Vista issue may not end up being a problem. Everything starts and loads, but then the gears grind to a halt when the FLEXlm license manager opens up. I had attempted to install this on a Windows 7 machine and it wouldn't even begin the installation process, so until I get some other types of errors, I am going to keep up the attempt to install it on this Vista machine.

Again, thanks for everyone's help. I'm drinking from the firehose today on a different project as of today, so it will probably be a few days before I can start playing with this again, but I'll post here in the next week or so with whatever I learn.

Advertising from our partners