Fanuc Mastering, Vision, 7th Axis Questions

• Hello

I am currently working on a Fanuc R2000ib/150U with R30iA Controller.

This robot is hanging upside down on a 7th axis rail unit, the axis is setup in group 1 as axis 7.

Question 1:

The mastering for this robot is incorrect, because the master counts don't match the factory ones. I read on this forum that the vision master option is good way to remaster the robot accurately, but that it only masters axis 2, 3 , 4, and 5. and that axis 1 and 6 are "close enough" with just an eyeball zero witness mastering. assuming this is the case, my axis 1 witness marks are scraped off so I have no way to align it. Does anyone have any way to zero axis 1 accurately without the witness marks?

Question 2:

This is my first robot with an extended axis. This robot has irvision. I'm curious how the 7th axis will effect the vision calibration. lets imagine the robot is mounted just a hair off parallel on the rail; unit, which would magnify the error as the robot moves along the rail. how do I deal with this? I assume the same thing applies with user frames? so will I need to always be in the same position on the 7th axis when using irvision or am I overthinking this and it won't be a problem?

thanks in advance

• Robots that are hung upside down are mastered differently. I will look for more info in the manual. There is a master position for zero on your 7th axis. Also just because the master counts are different doesn't mean the mastering is off

• This particular robot was originally on a 60 foot track with a second robot. I only have a 20 foot section with 1 robot. So I'm thinking I can Master axis 7 wherever I want.

The other reason I think the mastering is off, I calibrated a irvision camera and tested it, and the results were off when I moved the part. I have done 3 irvision setups in the past so I think I did everything correctly. Maybe there is another way to check mastering to be sure?

thanks Racermike123 for the response.

• You can master the 7th axis where ever you want. Just be sure to record/mark that position on the rail. Verify the gearing for the 7th axis. If you have it set to extended integral you should be able to jog in world/tool and move the carriage (7) with the tcp remaining constant.

Regarding iRVision, if it is a robot mounted camera be sure to use AGFS to set cam cal and uframes.

• rumblefish, Yes it is setup as 7th axis group 1. I can move axis 7 and the TCP stays very close to the same spot so it is setup correctly, I have however noticed that making longer linear moves on the 7th axis with the TCP in the same spot that it moves slightly(roughly 6 mm or so), this makes me suspect the mastering is off. I will like you said mark where I master axis 7 once I am happy with everything.

When you say use AGFS, that mean automatic grid frame set right? I am not sure how that makes a difference since it doesn't seem to move axis 7 while taking pictures of the grid. Or maybe there's a way to have it move also?

• Yes, AGFS is auto grid frame set. It won't move the 7th axis, however it is a much more accurate method of setting frames and cam calibration. The big issue is maintaining the working distance with the camera. (Cam to part distance) The type of vision process you use will also be another factor. I went through 3-4 vp's until I found one that worked for my app. I didn't need 6 degrees of freedom in the offset. Hopefully this helps.

• Yes I'm not very worried about the vision setup, I am confident enough that I can get that to work. My concerns are the mastering is off.

and also what happens if I teach a part in irvision, and then move the 7th axis 600 mm away and try to find the part again, what kind of error will be.

I need to figure out how to get it mastered first thing first.

Advertising from our partners