Krc4 With a non Kuka SSD

• Has anyone tried a Non Kuka SSD Drive in a Robot running V8.3

We have a client looking to have spare Hard drives but £500 each seems a bit excessive.I have used None Kuka Drives in the controllers before but not tried a KRC4 .Anyone have experience of this please:smiling_face:

• AFAIK, any normal SATA(?) hard drive should work -- the motherboard shouldn't be able to tell the difference. KSS runs from the RAMDrive, so after the boot cycle is complete, the HDD/SDD doesn't get much exercise.

That being said, I've never tried it on a KRC4. I did on some KRC1s and KRC2s back in the day, and it worked fine. So my gut feeling is that it should work okay on a KRC4, but I would suggest trying it out on one controller first -- clone the SDD using KSR or offline cloning tools, and swap in the "cheap" drive, then see what happens.

The thing to beware of is that a lower-spec HDD or SDD may not have the lifetime or reliability of the KUKA-sourced drive. So if you want to take this route, keeping KSR backups and up-to-date Archives will be critical.

• AFAIK, any normal SATA(?) hard drive should work -- the motherboard shouldn't be able to tell the difference. KSS runs from the RAMDrive, so after the boot cycle is complete, the HDD/SDD doesn't get much exercise.

That being said, I've never tried it on a KRC4. I did on some KRC1s and KRC2s back in the day, and it worked fine. So my gut feeling is that it should work okay on a KRC4, but I would suggest trying it out on one controller first -- clone the SDD using KSR or offline cloning tools, and swap in the "cheap" drive, then see what happens.

The thing to beware of is that a lower-spec HDD or SDD may not have the lifetime or reliability of the KUKA-sourced drive. So if you want to take this route, keeping KSR backups and up-to-date Archives will be critical.

thanks Skyfire

I too have done loads of non krc4 👍

I always keep the images on my cloud server as well . In fact did a krc1 last week though the Kuka usb stick didn't work correctly . I used it to take an image of external drive all went ok. And competed but when restored the same way the new drive was missing the boot manager tried it a few times an always the same . Could be a win95 problem ended up using acronis true image with no problems 👍

I will order some branded SSD drives and try it

I present I can get Kinston's SSD 120Gb with 3 year warranty for £19 delivered . If they work ok I will order a few for stock

• Right so i have used the Kingston 120 Gig SSD

Works no problems though the Kuka Recovery stick was not happy about the destination Drive When used as an external drive.

Macrium Reflect worked a treat.

Will try later installing the hard drive in the robot and then use the Image stick

• The big difference between normal consumer SATA SSDs and "industrial" SSDs is the type of flash cells used. Industrial SSDs will typically use SLC (single level cell) flash which is more robust, less error-prone and have an extended life vs the TLC, QLC or MLC flash that is used in consumer drives. Some high end enterprise grade drives are available, but are typically SAS (serial attached SCSI) and may not be compatible with a KRC.

This is also often times the difference between the super expensive low capacity SD, MMC, CFast cards and "standard" consumer cards that will be quickly destroyed with repeated write activity + little or no wear management.

That said I've successfully replaced the drives in many other types of industrial equipment with consumer grade SSDs and haven't had any issues. Usually I will take a full disk image after everything is reinstalled and back into a functioning state, and back it up to an USB spinner that's stored in the electrical cabinet.

Advertising from our partners