System Variable ideal settings for Upside Down Fanuc Robot

• You can always teach User and Tool frames in whatever orientation you want (as long as you follow the right hand rule). Jog Frame i believe is relative to the current User and Tool frames, and the World Frame is pretty immutable, although if the robot is properly set up as upside down, it may change orientation. I am not sure, we have never had a flipped robot.

• I can confirm that (no matter how many times I forget when jogging in Z world and crash down onto something) the orientation of world frame always stays the same, no matter how the robot is mounted. I.E. a ceiling mounted robot will jog down towards the floor when jogging in +Z world.

• You can always teach User and Tool frames in whatever orientation you want (as long as you follow the right hand rule). Jog Frame i believe is relative to the current User and Tool frames, and the World Frame is pretty immutable, although if the robot is properly set up as upside down, it may change orientation. I am not sure, we have never had a flipped robot.

Thanks for your response. Some 10 years back i heard from someone regarding system variable, where one could change the orientation for jog frame which made jogging a bit helpful. I have a very faint memory about it though. I would take your valuable inputs for now.

Many thanks.

• I can confirm that (no matter how many times I forget when jogging in Z world and crash down onto something) the orientation of world frame always stays the same, no matter how the robot is mounted. I.E. a ceiling mounted robot will jog down towards the floor when jogging in +Z world.

Thanks for your response. Some 10 years back i heard from someone regarding system variable, where one could change the orientation for jog frame which made jogging a bit helpful. I have a very faint memory about it though. I would take your valuable inputs for now.

Many thanks.

• You need to set the Mount Angle so the collision guard, etc. works correctly. The notes below were for an LR Mate, should be similar for other models.

Robot must be in Controlled Start (hold PREV & NEXT on startup)

Press Menu, Maintenance, then F4-Manual

Press Enter to select the default value for the Cartesian Motion Option

Set the Mount Angle then press Enter (180 for upside down)

Press FCTN and Cold Start the robot

• As DaveP wrote, you have to set the MountAngle ($MRR_GRP[x].$MOUNT_ANGLE)

You have to do because of Gravity-Calculations/Collision/Payload etc...

On newer controllers the payload and Mount_angle have to be much more "exact" than on older controllers--> more agressive acceleration etc.

But the "NullFrame" (UFRAME_NUM=0) will not rotate (it's different to e.g. Kuka)

Instead of using UFRAME_NUM=0 use UFRAME_NUM=10(or 9) rotated 180degrees

JOG-Frame(s) -> just rotate it 180 degrees

The Uframes will follow "as you teach" them

Best regards

PnsStarter

• If you set up your robot as a wall mount or ceiling mount and have changed information in init section for the robot, your world frame stays same. Why the robot is asking about installation type in this case? Because the robot needs to know what is the load on the motors. If you will apply some type of load to floor type set up, then flip the robot. Robot can flag an error on servo motors, because load is different from calculated. So proper setup gives you more predictable behavior of your robot.

World frame is unique frame that calculates from robot base. All others framed calculates based of this frame. It's how robot kinematics works. As people said, you can make all type of UF as you need.

• All 5 available JogFrames (JGFRM) are fixed Cartesian frames and are relative to World. JogFrames are not relative to any UT, but only to UF[0], which is World by definition.

Jog Frames do not affect the recording of positions and no offsets can be done relative to a Jog Frame. It is only a method of jogging that most people do not use. That means it can be your little secret, and there will be no harm in setting up a Jog Frame even on a robot that is already in production.

Make a fresh "All of the Above" Backup of your robot, and to a uniquely named directory. Put the Backup in a safe place. This step is important, so get help if you do not know how.

Go to MENU- Setup- Frames, then press F [OTHER] to select Jog Frames. Make SURE you are modifying a Jog Frame, NOT a User Frame or UTOOL. There a 5 Jog Frames available. Choose one of them and fill it with zero's (it probable already is), except for the yaW value.

Make the yaw value 180 (or even minus 180 if you prefer) and leave everything else as 0.00

When it is time to do straight-line jogging on your Bat-Robot (your upside-down robot), choose JGFRM with the COORD key instead of WORLD. Now use SHIFT + COORD to make a particular Jog Frame active, whichever one you chose to modify. Your +Z major will now move the faceplate "UP" instead of down.

Advertising from our partners