HOWTO: Replace KRC4 touchscreen

• Heyo,

First time poster, long time lurker. Hope I've followed the post guidelines properly, here goes;

I'm working with a KRC4 pendant (00-168-334). It looks like it's been dropped at some point because it's getting quite hard to use the bottom of the touchscreen when programming the robot, button presses are unreliable and the cursor randomly jumps around sometimes. Screen calibration has no effect, so looks like the touch panel is damaged.

I have a quote from KUKA for a service exchange, but I'd like to change the screen myself before I have to resort to that. Looks like loads of panels are available on auction sites, so I'm going to give it a go. I had a search through the forum but couldn't see anything about changing the screen. Does anyone have any hints and tips? It looks fairly simple, but I'd be kicking myself if I missed out on a good bit of advice.

Happy to post a guide when I do it if there's interest.

• Always wanted to try this, but by the looks of it you just pull the front sticker around the screen off and a couple of screws to access the ribbon and that should be it i think

• Yup I had personally done it myself.

Had the same problem, dropped pendant and cracked screen as a result.

I ordered the KRC4 pendant touch glass assembly on ebay for 80$(AUD) from china and had it within a week.

Also got a quote from kuka and they said they don't repair screens as such but just offer refurbished pendants starting 4k-7k $(AUD)

The replacement was easy but had to be done very very carefully! No fast pulls or brute force. And it requires a silicone based black epoxy tube to apply for the new glass.

And I disagree with rhinos post because the front sticker is just a membrane button pad and dust cover. The glass assembly is glued from the inside of the pendant. Three ribbon cables will have to be connected back in and finally you will have to let the epoxy set after the whole assembly process for 24-48 hours so your front glass assembly does not collapse into the pendant.

Kuka epoxy is done by machines during manufacturing so you'll find perfect oval buttons which you'll have to remove to get the broken glass out.

But it should be worth the hassle at the end of the day, atleast it did to us.

All the best

• Ah brilliant, thanks for the tip about the epoxy. I ordered the screen off ebay a few weeks ago so with any luck it should be here soon.

For the time being, I'm borrowing a pendant from a Lightweight Arm.

Advertising from our partners