Kuka KRC2 ed05, adding external axis

• Edit: I updated machine.dat with another thread I found on this forum (posted the wrong link earlier), only non-default setting was in_pos_ma - set to 0.2 and it works just fine.

I have a KR20-2 Series 2000 robot with a KRC2 Ed05 running KSS 5.6.8.

Robot Type KR2210_2 S C2 FLOR ZH210

I'm trying to add 2 external axes, one is a rotary turntable and one is a linear track carrying the robot arm. For now I'd be happy with just the rotary, so I'll focus on that, and hopefully I'm skipping something simple.

My process:

0. With no ext axes, I can jog the robot, no errors.

1. Expert logon

2. Setup>Service>Axisconfigurator

3. Change EX_AX_NUM to 1

4. External Axis tab: Change AXIS_TYPE to 5, and MOTORTYPE to 69-225-463, B. (This automatically changed values accordingly, and used the KSD32 servofile)

5. Ext. Kinematics tab: Set transformation type to EASYS

6. Save and Exit

At this point, I get a popup saying "Submit interpreter cannot be started", continue on and I have two error messages: R1 data loader aborted, and Erroneous DSE assignment 1, and if I try to jog the robot I get "machine data error" and active commands prohibited.

The KSD-32 was installed and wired by the seller but not configured. I haven't found a problem with the wiring.

After talking with KUKA support I believe the machine.dat file has issues. Has anyone got a machine.dat with an enabled ext axis that I could reference? Mine are attached as they are after step 6.

Thanks!

• I see I'm missing several lines in the machine.dat file (things like DSECHANNEL and most other things).

Should have just looked a little harder but I'll run through these and change to default values and update again.

• every KRC2 comes with A LOT of complete MADA on D:\

one can find MADA for robot with and without linear rail as external axis and compare.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• also try to open the $MACHINE,DAT in Notepad++ for example,

most settings are in form of an array so things that belong to E1 will be array element 7.

then search for all instances of "[6]" and "[7]" and compare. anything that has value zero is a red flag and need closer inspection.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I'm back on it with this project, the 7th axis rotary has been working just fine after going through machine.dat, searching for [7], and making sure an appropriate value is there.

Now that the covid panic has shut most of our customers down, it's a good time to get the track operating.

To simplify some things, I just moved the cables to the linear motor and changed the data to linear (ERSYS instead of EASYS, etc, using the axis configurator and the external axis manual).

Firstly, I also have this error that I don't know if it's affecting or not:

Code
    29: Drive bus DSE 1 participant no. 9 not configured

Here's the main problem:

When I try to jog, the axis will move maybe 5cm (more of a lurch than a steady move) and stop, brakes engage, errors pop up:

Code
        1104 Ackn. regulator limit exceeded E1
        1161 Ackn. monitoring of the actual velocity E1

If I lower the $VEL_AXIS_MA to 100.0, it moves much slower, same behavior, but then the error code is:

Code
    3030: Ackn. target speed monitoring E1

Here's my data for the linear axis 7 (the only one currently connected), mostly taken straight from the example:

I've tried changing values for RAT_MOT_AX and RAT_MOT_ENC, the velocity max, assuming something with speed or reading that speed is going wrong.

Has anyone got any idea what I'm missing?

I'm going to run through the optimization process for $G_VEL_PTP, $G_VEL_CP etc using the ext axis manual. (Section 7.4.2 page 60)

I put the cart ahead of the horse there. I can release the brakes by moving A1-6, but get the velocity error as soon as I try to move E1. The other motor will work just fine with the same hardware, so it's got to be something with parameters.

Edited 2 times, last by kbekkala ().

• Update:

I'm convinced the motor itself is the problem, and have a replacement on the way. The motor I was using had a damaged encoder plug that we repaired, but there must be some kind of broken connection we didn't see - we'll know in a few days if this solves it.

• hi ,

how to calculate N , D value for gudel tmf 4 with kuka robot.

Ayush

It's the gear ratio of the Gudel -- it should be in the technical specs from Gudel.

In $RAT_MOT_AX, N and D are the integer Numerator and Denominator of the ration between motor rotations (N) and rotations of the output device (D).

So if the Gudel requires 355.26926 revolutions of the motor to rotate the output shaft once, you would need:

$RAT_MOT_AX[7]={N 35526926,D 100000}

The large numbers are b/c both N and D need to be integers, so in this case, I multiplied both values by 10 until I had sufficient resolution to make my axis accurate over long distances.

• hi ,

thanks for your reply .

i understand it , i have some doubts .

where i can find this value 355.26926 ?

in some backup i found N value is negative -35526926 ,100000

how gear ratio can be negative ,

• The sign decides whether the motor turns left or right and hence defines the axis direction and not the often mistaken $AXIS_DIR which also stands for axis direction but is not in this type of sense.

Gear Ratio is defined by $RAT_MOT_AX (ratio motor/axis) in R1/$machine.dat as a fraction.

Fubini

• You have to derive the value from the gear ratio in the Gudel spec sheet, as I already explained.

As Fubini said, negating the N value is done if the direction the axis moves on command is backwards from what is desired.

Advertising from our partners