Record TCP Position

• Hi,

I’m currently using a KUKA KR-100-2 HA with KSS5 and KRC4 mounted on a 7th Axis linear rail. I’m looking to record the TCP position over time for a long period range (up to 3 hours). The only way I found is using the Oscilloscope Trace function but the maximum time period is no more than 11sec and only the Axis are available to record, not the Cartesian position. Ultimately, I would need a 400Hz recording. I have really basic knowledge with this robot.
    How could I proceed ?

Thank you

Marc

• how long recording interval can be is directly influenced by density of recorded points. if you reduce sampling rate, you can cover longer intervals.

btw, why do you want to record at such neck braking pace? 400Hz corresponds to 2.5ms. this is faster than RSI can handle so your only option is FastSendDriver and that you need to purchase from Kuka.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• First of start with getting your kss version right. there is no version just called 5, the other numbers do matter. Also if you have a KRC4 then kss version should be in the range of v8.3.XX or something close to that.

Oke now to your problem, you want to record a lot of data. 3 hours with 400hz is 4.320.000 values. Where do you need them? what is your purpose with them?

the only thing that i can think of that get's close to what you want is RSI so you may want to look that up.

If you can live with a lower resolution i think it is possible to use the sps to save data to a TXT file. The resolution is then dependent on what else it is running, but you wont get near your 400hz.

Every problem has a solution, that isn't the problem. The problem is the solution.

• Thank you for your answer panic mode ,

I understand the need of reducing the sampling rate so I wonder how to do this, there is no such parameter in the configuration panel of the oscilloscope.

I may decrease the resolution if needed.

• Actualy, you are right ! The KSS version is V5.5.16.

I'm using the robot to scan a surface with a sensor. Eventualy, I want to have a point cloud of the surface.

I may use RSI but the company I'm working with is not able to fund extension and the sensor doesn't have an easy interface.

Thank you I'm going to look up for SPS

• $$$$$ - FastSend Driver can record Cartesian position in fastest mode (1ms)

$$$ - RSI, can record Cartesian position in fast mode (4ms)

free - SPS or ISR, max recording rate limited by interpolation cycle of (12ms)

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• The SPS Solution seems to suit my needs well.

I understood that it's a program running constantly as a loop while the Robot is switched on.

Do you have example of code that I could write in there ? I'm really new there.

• well... that is still a lot of data. and memory on KRC2 is limited. so probably the simplest option is to stream the robot position continuously. Don;t know what options you have installed or what your programming experience is but using RS232 should be straight forward.

3) read 1 and 2

• you are still not sharing anything, i already responded three times which is plenty.

if you need help, YOU should be the one doing some legwork. that means at least post some system details so we are not guessing. for example you mentioned KSS but how about installed options?

please read pinned topic READ FIRST...

and if you have KRC2 with KSS5.x, well - its CWRITE does not support reading/writing files.

even if it did, directory size KSS needs may be a limitation for data volume you have in mind.

so... other option is to write own application that will write to the file (not a KRL program, maybe C# or whatever). it could use EthernetKRL, RSI, VarProxy or similar.

3) read 1 and 2

• For a KRC2, your best bet is probably the RS232 port, streaming the data to an external device. The forum archives have many previous discussions of this topic.

Since the robot's internal Cartesian data only updates every 12ms (ignoring IPO-FAST mode in RSI), and the SPS can loop faster than that, using a $TIMER to limit the transmission to once every 12ms would probably be wise. That also helps avoid any potential buffer overflow issues.

• As an alternative to RS232 as described by SkyFire, and depending on the type of I/O installed (Profibus, Devicenet etc.), it may be possible to use 3 virtual analogue outputs and store the resulting values externally on the connected PLC (or PC) along with the sensor values. It should be possible for a 12ms update of the 3 cartesian values via the SPS sub as described.

Advertising from our partners