Fanuc Dinamic override of robot speed

• Hello to everyone and thank you in advance for your help.

I have a Fanuc R-30iB Plus controller and i'm looking for a way to limit online the speed of the robot's movimentation while a program is running in auto.

More specific i have a vision system that check if there is any operator in a defined operating area of the robot and calculated the distance between them, i want to slow down the robot gradually in function of it.

I have found something using the DCS (Dual check safety) like speed check function and the slowdown zones, but i dont know if it is possible control it using an external device or using it for my purpose.

• You can use Override Select function(Menu -> Setup -> Override Select) , set up a DI that will be turned on if the person is present in secured area, and if that DI turns on, the robot speed will be modified.

• Major question: is this for safety purposes (meaning, has to be done to meet or exceed a risk assessment) or operational purposes (robot will meet RIA standards without this feature, but will operate better with it)?

If it's for safety, your options are limited to safety-rated options such as DCS; if it's operational, then you can use other options (and/or DCS) to fulfill the task.

Edit: This seems to be a safety function, unless I am incorrect in the implementation here. If it's a safety function, be VERY careful on how you complete this task. Vision systems, Group Inputs, Digital I/O signals, TP programs, and even most System Variables are NOT considered safety rated.

More specific i have a vision system that check if there is any operator in a defined operating area of the robot and calculated the distance between them, i want to slow down the robot gradually in function of it.

After implementing any solution, I suggest performing a risk assessment on the whole system to make sure you're still safe.

• Thank you for all of your answer.

Stare284 and amotov, i will try both of your solution.

To domo_arigato:

If it's for safety, your options are limited to safety-rated options such as DCS; if it's operational, then you can use other options (and/or DCS) to fulfill the task.

yes it is, but is for research only.

I will perform a test in a controlled environment so i can avoid to use the DCS, but your analysis is very accurate and

After implementing any solution, I suggest performing a risk assessment on the whole system to make sure you're still safe.

thank you for your advice, i will perform a risk assessment on the whole system.

Advertising from our partners