ABB IRB 6400R Backup Battery issues

• Hi, we have a few robots but I find that one of our ABB IRB 6400R always seems to get a battery low voltage error anytime the power cuts out which would indicate that the backup battery pack is low. Has anyone encountered a similar problem and know why this might happen? I thought that these batteries are meant to last a few years. The batteries must be draining somehow but I'm not sure how.

• The IRB6400R robot was used with 3 controller models: S4C (M99), S4C+ (M2000) and IRC5 (M2004).

All 3 have different battery configurations. Which controller is this one?

Could you supply the actual error number?

• With the power on, disconnect one battery at a time and measure its voltage. Both of the lithium 'D' cells need to measure over 3.6VDC. Always check battery voltage on new batteries before installing - they should measure 3.70 to 3.73 volts.

Battery life depends on many things. The amount of time the controller is off is the obvious one but some other possibilities are:

- Improper storage of the battery before it was installed. Battery shelf life decreases with temperature.

- Old battery that was sitting in the back of a inventory bin for the last 12 years before being found and used.

- Damaged from being dropped may diminish a battery's capacity.

- Manufacturing defect. Murphy has laws regarding this.

- Cheap aftermarket battery. Some of them are cheap because they use questionable batteries. The vendor we purchase from uses the same Saft batteries and protection ABB uses.

- Bad component on one of the computer unit circuit boards or backplane causing increased current draw when the controller is off that depletes the batteries sooner.

Advertising from our partners