SafeMove behavior when Tool Change signals exceed configured tools

• Hey, it's me again.

IRC5 running RW 6.4, with SafeMove 810-2. SafeMove signals are all hardwired relay contacts, no ProfiSafe/CIP-Safe.

So, this is a running production system, and I've been asked to look into modifying its current SafeMove config to enable changing the tools. It's a material handler that picks up some large and small items, and the customer wants to change which Safety Tool is active based on the item the robot is carrying.

That seems simple enough, but the robot's current configuration is confusing me (I did a Read From Controller twice just to make sure I was looking at the active configuration). It shows that inputs 1&2 are selecting the active tool, and only Tool 00 has been configured. But the hardware relay circuit that is driving all the Safey Module inputs has Inputs 1&2 high. Which, according to the SafeMove manual, should mean that the SafeMove module is activating Tool 11 (Tool 3?) which does not exist. I would expect this situation to create a safety fault, but the entire system is running merrily along. Obviously, I'm missing something. Oddly enough, the SafeMove manual actually doesn't say anything about what happens in a situation like this.

If I'm reading the SafeMove manual correctly, Activation Inputs 1-8 (X9.1-12, and X10.1-6) should be visible in RobotStudio's I/O monitor as signals PSC1DI1-8. These match with the status of my safety relays, so I'm fairly confident I'm correct on this.

SafeMoveToolChange.bmp

Advertising from our partners