IRC5 SMB Error 38103

• We received a machine with 4 IRB-2400 robots and an external axis servo motor.

The controller is a Multimove IRC5, the robots are ceiling mounted but were not strapped up during the shipment from Ontario to Kansas.

On original power up the external axis was not connected, an SMB error came up then a system failure.

I connected the external axis and restarted but still have the error. I disconnected both ends of the SMB cable and did not see any loose wires. I plan to check each pin in that cable for continuity on Monday. The attachment shows the SMB error. I have been in contact with ABB support but they are slow to respond.

I wasn’t sure if a restart with reset would help. Thank you.

• Not sure what drive module 3 is going to. If it's a robot, try unplugging the SMU cable and after verifying the pins look good, plug the robot end of the SMU cable into another robot and that cable into the suspect robot. If the problem stays on drive module 3, then the robot is good.

If you are not sure which drive module is #3, post the MOC.cfg from the backup.

If the problem follows the robot, then you need to take off the rear cover of the base and check the cable and connection at the SMU. Seen many times the SMU was not secured and/or the connector thumbscrews not engaged. This would be an issue while the robot made its long, upside-down journey to Kansas. Be careful not to pinch wires when putting the rear cover back on and hopefully the gasket stays in place.

• Hello awildcat.

Like skooter mentioned before, it may be a problem with smb cables at first place. I have seen cables in good shape externally, but with some broken wire inside. Try with another smb cable you know it works. Another thing you can take a look is inside the cabinet controller, the communication cables between axis controller and drive units, with the db9 connectors. There is a dedicated document, troubleshooting, the doc ID is 3HAC020738-005. Check the cables and do a B-start.

• Yes. It is a simple and safe procedure that loads the system with the last state before a fault. ABB manual are well documented, take a look to Operating manual, IRC5 with FlexPendant ID 3HAC050941-001, and MultiMove application manual, ID 3HAC050961-001.

• From my perspective, the external axis is part of drive system 1 and your error states drive system 3 measurement channel 1. That is saying there is no communication received by the drive system 3 (robot 3) axis computer at connector XP4. You can verify easily by turning off power, removing robot 3 SMU cable and powering on to see if it errors the same with the serial measurement cable unplugged.

If the Axis Computer reports it is not receiving a signal on measurement ch.1, then it is either the Axis Computer, the SMU in the robot or something in between. If you have EPS or SafeMove, the SMU communications passes thru those units to/from the robot SMU. EPS connectors are X5 & X6 and SafeMove is the same.

I guess the very first thing is to do a very detailed inspection of that entire serial measurement cable to make it is not damaged somehow in all the moving since it was running last.

I would then plug the SMU cable from robot 3 in to robot 2 or 4 and see if the problem moves. If it looks like the controller, then try swapping the entire serial measurement cable. Next try swapping the Axis Computer in drive unit 3 with drive unit 2 or 4 and see if the problem moves. Had a few Axis Computers lose their communication with the SMU. Multiple robot systems make troubleshooting easier sometimes.

Good luck!!

• I feel like an idiot.

Robot 3 and 4 cables were not plugged in after the shipment, I plugged them in and now I just have to update the rev counters.

One question I had was the difference between a Reset Restart and Revert to Last Saved. The warning on revert to last saved made me think it may go back to factory settings.

Thank you all for your help.

• salut le problème c'est La communication a été perdue entre la carte d'axes et la carte de mesure série donc il faut faire:

- Réinitialiser les compteurs du robot .

- Vérifieur que le câble situé entre la carte de mesure série et le calculateur d'axes est correctement connecté

- Vérifier que le blindage du câble est correctement connecté aux deux extrémités.

- Vérifieur l'absence de niveaux d'interférence électromagnétique extrêmes émis à proximité du câblage du robot.

- Vérifier que la carte de mesure série et que le calculateur d'axes sont totalement fonctionnels.

- Remplacer tout élément défectueux.

Advertising from our partners