Choosing correct options for DCS

• I have an installation that I am being involved with that is currently in production, but they wish to install DCS as an upgrade.

I don't mind announcing either, that Fanuc UK are being so un-cooperative with this and I have never experienced such an unprofessional approach to customer enquiries.

So if any affiliation with Fanuc happen to read this, feel free to conversation me, I would sincerely love a free, open discussion with you to discuss just how you can improve your service.

Ok rant over...………..

Can't tell you too much about the application except it's pick and place.

The cell does not have a PLC or HMI installed, all field peripherals are utilizing the standard hardwired IO.

However, they require further IO to accommodate additional field sensors etc.

What they require is to maintain the 'No PLC and No HMI' format, increase their field hardwired IO and have the DCS interfaced with standard hardwired safety IO exchange for interlocks.

From reading through the manuals, it appears there are a couple of options available:

a. Add DCS option and Safety IO Board for safety IO exchange and install yellow brick for additional hardwired IO.

b. Add DCS option and install yellow brick for additional hardwired IO and also the safety IO modules available for the yellow brick.

1. Could anyone confirm any of the above are viable options (ie have I read the manuals correctly) or have I overlooked something.

From what I have read, for option a. I need to order:

- DCS Option J555 (joint speed check).

- DCS Option J567 (position/speed check).

- DCS Option J568 (Safe IO Connect).

- DCS Option R733 (Visual for Teach pendant display and configuration.

- Yellow Brick Model A and associated IO Modules.

From what I have read, for option b. I need to order:

- DCS Option J555 (joint speed check).

- DCS Option J567 (position/speed check).

- DCS Option J764 (safety PMC).

- DCS Option R733 (Visual for Teach pendant display and configuration.

- Yellow Brick Model A and associated IO Modules including the AO and AI modules for safety IO exchange.

The additional questions I have are:

1. Do I have to order all DCS options individually, or are they all supplied under a generic DCS Option.

2. Am I correct in what I have read that in order to use yellow brick for DCS safety IO exchange, I have to use DCS Option J764 (PMC) instead of DCS Option J568 (Safe IO Connect).

Yes, this is something that Fanuc UK should easily be able to assist me with, but like I said, they are not being cooperative at all in assisting me to identify the correct components required.

What I don't want to do is order items I don't need or indeed not order the correct items for the options required.

Any assistance, information or advice would be very appreciated in this...…………:beerchug:

• We usually order (in EU):

- J567 (Dual Check Safety (DCS) Position / Speed Check Function)

- J568 (Dual Check Safety (DCS) SAFE I/O Connection Function)

With J567 you get all function for speed and position checking. With J568 you get Safe IO functionality. Ledder like ligic where you can use 2 safety inputs and 2 safety outputs already on E-Stop board for safety curtains or other safety device.

If you need more inputs and outputs you need to order A20B-8201-0110 (Safety I/O Board Mini slot) and connector with which you get additional 8 safety inputs and safety outputs.

• dha

Many thanks for your information, confirms some of what I've read to be correct.

At least I have some confidence now in the feasibility of these options going forward and as a newcomer, it's nice to be able to 'bounce' something off others who have experienced it previously.

So I appreciate your information indeed...……:top:

Yes, I forgot to mention that is using the 'Mate' version too, which I believe does not contain the standard 2 IO safety signals (I may be incorrect, but sure I read the Mate version does not have that fitted, I'll have to re-check that).

So putting the additional yellow brick aside, if we were to just need to go the option a. route, what I have listed is pretty much correct then and to include the additional 8IO mini slot board also.

- That ticks off option a.

That just leaves me with option b. now, to tick off.

The DCS PMC option is what's confusing me, I'm sure how I read it, it was like:

If using 2 IO on Estop board and/or using safety IO board, then safe IO connect is needed.

If using yellow brick for safety IO, then instead of DCS safe io connect, then DCS PMC is required.

- This is just the outstanding thing now?

• There is a more complete DCS package. RTL-R859 Advanced DCS Package. It includes DCS speed/position check, Safe IO connect and 4D graphics. The packages are better on pricing than buying the individual options.

I would go with the DCS safety IO board, not PMC. The part number for the kit is MHIB-SAFETY-IO, this is a kit that includes the cable, safety IO board, and a breakout terminal board for easier wiring. If you do PMC then that is just another software and programming interface to deal with, where instead the DCS safe IO connect is a simple sub-menu along with the other DCS menus and is very easy to setup in my opinion.

• HawkME

Perfect...………..:top:

Thanks for those part numbers, I couldn't find these in the manuals I've been looking at, only the individual ones, but now I've got them and knowing now there are packages available, gives me some more confidence in that I can at least approach the 'sales' side of Fanuc now instead of Service and be able to get some categoric information relating to these and also to what they contain etc.

Thanks for your opinion about PMC, I shall take it on board (pun intended), but the additional IO is required and there is no alternative than to add the yellow brick for these and I was looking at combining this with the safety IO modules, as opposed to the safe IO connect board.

However, I've now got enough information to go forward with.

Less than 8 hours to obtain this information via Robot Forum, 1 week and still waiting for Fanuc.

Very much appreciated indeed and hope you have a great weekend...……..:beerchug:

Advertising from our partners