New to Kuka, bit lost

• Hello everyone.

I've gotten a new position in a factory that is automating everything. They are using new Fanuc robots and I have about 2y experience with those. But they have one very old KR 15 robot (I think 2005) that they want me to start. Noone there knows how to do anything with the robot as it wasn't doing anything for few years. One person was there then and he turned it on, tried to do some calibration with a special tool that plugs into each axis but he said he forgot how to do it and just wished me good luck.
    I have only programming manuals, but they are few steps ahead of what I know. Are there any quick start guides, something like a training handbook that's available for Kuka? Especially old ones? (I don't know if much changed in the way of user interface) Any hints in which direction to go?

Software version referenced in manual is 2.2.8.

Currently this isn't the highest priority in the company, so they don't want to send me on formal education with Kuka.

Main question is how to do the most basic things, start the robot, make a small program with movement, input/outputs and conditional branching, start the program and most important, know where to find information on the reasons it doesn't work so I can ask specific questions.

Thanks for reading

• Oke, first thing first is what version of controller do you have with which software version, In the read first section you can read how to find that information. This is really important because somethings can be very different between versions. because you say 2005, it is probably a KRC2, but the question is if it is a standard one or something special.

The special tool you are talking about is a mastering tool, there is a difference between a dial mastering tool and the digital one that plugs into the rdw card, I assume you have the latter one.

The use of that tool is pretty straight forward, basically place the robot in the the premaster postion (the notches/ white stripes on each axis) and run mastering. You then have to place the mastering tool on each axis to master it.

Every problem has a solution, that isn't the problem. The problem is the solution.

• 1. Open up the cabinet, locate the electrical diagrams and install CDs. If they're not present, most of that can be obtained from KUKA. Locate the batteries -- they will almost certainly need to be replaced.

2. Eyeball all the connections and cables, look for obvious damage or missing/unplugged cables. There should be two cables from the cabinet (KRC) to the arm (KR).

3. Is this robot standalone, or is it connected to external safeties and/or PLC?

4. Power up the controller. Assuming the robot boots properly (it can take up to 5min), the bottom window on the pendant screen will show your list of error and status messages. The blue button on the upper left of the pendant will let you change which window has focus (blue background). When you have the message window hilighted, the far-right softkey in the bottom row will change to "Ack All" -- press it. That will clear all the clearable messages. Any messages that remain, you will need to itemize and deal with first.

5. Don't bother trying to re-Master the robot just yet -- the controller batteries are almost certainly dead, and if they are, you will lost all Mastering when you shut off the controller. So either you have to keep it on all the time, or replace the batteries (and keep the controller on for 12hrs or so to ensure they're fully charged) before Mastering.

• First and most important, thank you all for the help.

Robot version is
    KR C

V4.1.4 SP02

GUI Version:
    V3.3.59 B20 (V)KR C1 V3.3/V4.1

I was given just the electrical diagram and digital manuals. Now that I asked a bit more about it I got few more manuals, including Expert Programming Manual, and SimPro software

How do I know if batteries should be replaced? There's a sticker about a service been done in 2015.

Cables to the robot look good, but I have some cables with just line clamp at the end, not connected to anything. I'm told they were connected to a sliding two layer table, to control pneumatics, endstops and pressure switches.

Robot has two interfaces, one mounted on top of the control cabinet, and one standing on the side. There is the E-stop on the seperate one, and just wires to switches and status lights. The top mounted one has also buttons, a power supply and no E-stop.

After power up i got 3 errors left:
    no. 5 Robot runtime counter ($ROBRUNTIME) different between RDW (799298) and Regis... [How to get more details about error, like the full message?]

no. 1 EMERGENCY STOP

no. 200 Drives contactor off

After a reboot i got also
    no. 106 Perform mastering A1 - A6 [6 messages]

while trying to clean the teach pendant a bit I pressed on some of the soft keys and the error screen went from red to white, with the first message disappearing
    While trying to do the calibration the guy who did it was able to jog the robot, so there shouldn't be anything E-stop related missing, but I wasn't able to do it when I tried, I got message no.1376 from HPU, "Active commands inhibited"

From what I understand in the error messages document, error no. 1 causes error no. 200, and no. 106 causes no. 1376.

• batteries may last some 3-3.5 years if charged properly and regularly. if you power down controller, teach pendant and few other things will get power from batteries for a while while shutting down. also some data will be written to RDW. if batteries are weak, this may not work and you will get problems like RDW data mismatch, lost mastering etc. to move robot you need to power up drives by holding enabling switch while in T1 mode.

to run program, robot must be mastered and program must be SELECT-ed and not OPEN

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Ok, batteries will need to be replaced, I left it to charge them for 20h, rebooted the robot and again lost mastering. Can anything bad happen if I work with robot without changing batteries? Except having to do mastering every time I turn it on?

I found that I lose the "no. 5 Robot runtime counter ($ROBRUNTIME) different between RDW (799298) and Regis... " error when I press RDW softkey on the error screen. What does that button do? Where to look for that information? I did a search through the manuals I have, but there's not much information when looking specifically for "RDW"

I got to jogging by holding the switch, it just takes long time to register it. I also made a program that just goes home and ran it, so that works too. Now it's time to have fun and start learning :grinning_squinting_face:

Thank you all very much for the help! :red_heart:

Any other tips on what to watch out for?

• As far as i know you only lose mastering and the error of the runtime counter. Normally when the krc is powered of the axis posistions are saved in the RDW flash memory (located at the base of the robot) with the runtime counter and i think the robot name. So when you get the runtime error you have to choose what the right value is. In your case this is not the RDW because that is no longer updated. you can choose registry.

Every problem has a solution, that isn't the problem. The problem is the solution.

• This is not a KRC4, so no smartpad. As far as i am aware there are no software options to shut a (v)krc2 down.

• I don't think that is an option either. If i am not mistaken the kuka software start shutting down after detecting powerloss. Then after RDW values are saved windows gets the command to shutdown, not the other way round. Besides in most krc2's you can only get to normal windows during boot.

Replacing the batteries is then the easiest option, and they are not to expensive so why wouldn't you?

• Yeah, just change the batteries. In the meantime, you can work with the robot without doing any harm.

The RDW Runtime error is probably also caused by the low batteries. Basically, when shutting down, the KRC saves certain data (Mastering, Runtime meter, serial number, TRAFO) to the EEPROM on the RDW card in the base of the arm. This uses the power from the batteries to keep the controller's "brains" alive for 1-2min after main power is shut down. However, if the batteries are dead, this "writedown" does not happen. "Static" data like the Serial Number is not affected, but "dynamic" data like the Runtime hours are (the Mastering data technically isn't affected, but the KRC errs on the side of paranoia, b/c incorrect Mastering can really ruin your day).

The KRC keeps parallel copies of this data on the hard drive. But on boot, if the values don't match up, you get these errors. Once you have the new batteries in and aren't losing Mastering every time you reboot, for the "RDW Runtime" error, just choose "Hard Drive", and the KRC will update the data in the RDC with the hard drive copy.

In the event the controller were nuked somehow, you would do the opposite -- select the RDW as the "good" data, and that will be copied to the hard drive. The idea is, if you rebuild/replace memory in either the KRC or the KR, you update the "new" hardware with the "good" data from the remaining "old" hardware.

• Thanks again everyone. I definitely will replace batteries, but that will take time (it's very complicated to buy stuff in this company, everything has to go through about 5 people), so I wanted to make sure I can play with the robot until that

• Played a bit more and while trying to see which connections I have I tried to open the door, which got me an "EMERGENCY STOP" error that I couldn't clear.

After I shut down the robot and opened the door to look if there's any E-stop wires that got pulled (didn't see any, all looks good), I turned it back on and there was no E-stop error. Out of curiosity I pulled on the handle again while it's on and got the same error, just this time it was clearable. What could be the cause of that?

How to make a backup of the robot? I don't know how to search for this, as searching for backup and KRC1 gets me a lot of topics about necesity of doing backup, not the procedure.

How do I even connect to it to transfer files? I haven't seen a floppy disk in about a decade and even if I had one I don't know where to put it.

Edit:

How to write declarations above the autmatically generated "INI" fold? I can't add lines above and I can't cut that lower in the program, but all the examples of programs with declarations have them above

Edited once, last by Affaltar ().

• It is not really normal to see an emergency stop when a door is opened. Doors or anything that prevents humans to be in contact with the robot have there own contacts, and should have there own message. Now it could be that in your case the door is wired to the emergency stop which should mean that you never can move the robot with the door open. Normally when the machine is in T1 this is possible when holding the deadman switch.

The only thing that i can think of when you cant clear the emergency stop message is when there is a timing issue between the 2 emergency stop channels. I have had this problem in the past when releasing an emergency button the 2 contacts inside did not close at the same time. The KRC does not like this.

Floppy disk drive is behind the little black door and this still works for back-up. Even to this day you can still buy them. What i do recommend though is pulling the hard drive from the pc and make a copy of that. It is an older machine so hard drive failures could happen. There are several topics on this forum that explain how to do this and what kind of software you can use.

For the text editor there are options you can change go to Config -> extra -> editor settings. you might have to log in as expert to see it. not sure on your version.

• If you get an E-Stop from opening a door (and the robot in T1), someone probably wired your safety circuit incorrectly. The issue resetting the E-Stop also implies this. To really troubleshoot the issue, you'll need to examine the actual wiring diagram.

Inside the KRC, there should be a relay board labelled FE20x (x=some number). This is where all the safeties are. There should be two relays per safety channel that have to close within a few milliseconds of each other. Each relay has a chip LED on the board that indicates its status. If you have one E-Stop relay lit, and the other dark, that would indicate a single-channel fault as Leon suggested.

• Oh, I didn't mean door on the cell to get to the robot, I meant door on the cabinet. There is no actuall cell there, just one cable that had a sliding table connected to it.

Does this change where to look for the problem?

Advertising from our partners